The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by marlywings, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliwonders

Aliwonders New Member

I thought males would have more idea about shaving cuts??

2. sheldor

sheldor New Member

I wonder if it might be the other way around -- often male jurors will have little sympathy for someone they suspect has been violent to women or children. This is all speculative, obviously.

3. wakeskate

wakeskate Just the facts, ma'am

This is very sus.
    He may have turned on the phone. Sent a text, turned the sound off and thrown it in a ditch.

It could also be that when the first message was sent, the phone connected to the tower to retrieve the message.
    Only the phone company would know what the message means.

4. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

Thank you for the reassurance. :)

5. Timmy

Timmy Member

I agree with you and Thinking on this.... Just can't see how it could be manslaughter.... If they accept that Allison has been smothered and they accept that Allison inflicted the scratches then I feel it has to be murder. MOO

6. Venus13

Venus13 New Member

Why is Jury's allowed home? I'm sure years ago they were locked away slept in Hotel's etc until they come up with a verdict? Is this another way in cutting costs?

7. Bekazzled

Bekazzled New Member

Yeah, I think the general feeling in Brisbane is that most of the jurors must think he's guilty (if not all) but a few are worried about the term "reasonable doubt". Anticipating a hung jury, I think the Judge (and prosecution probably at this point) are happy enough to have him charged for manslaughter because of the public outrage if he walks free. (Same thing happened in the death of Tina Watson, tried here in QLD). I think everyone's feeling pretty solid about a manslaughter charge, because those who feel iffy about a guilty verdict will fall easily into the lesser manslaughter category. I don't think anyone seriously expects any juror to believe GBC is completely innocent.

I think they're anticipating a manslaughter charge and some public uproar about it needing to be a guilty verdict afterwards. I believe he's guilty and if I was on the jury would have voted that way over manslaughter, but I think a lot of people feel (understandably) uncomfortable about the term "reasonable" when assessing the case. It's such a subjective, tricky word. I also think our government and police realize some stranger will probably attempt to kill him if he's set free. So they're offering a "lock him up for a while?" verdict rather than "lock him up for 20 years or whatever" option.

In my opinion only, all of this, including the next bit: Yes, I believe everyone in that courtroom knows GBC lied in his testimony and that he probably wasn't the one who moved the body that night. A heat-of-the-moment murder followed by a cover-up with a second person (GBC's father) seems to be most of the public's opinion here, with the added idea that GBC probably had the idea in his head for a while and on that night it erupted. (For all the reasons everyone knows so well. Wouldn't surprise me if Allison found out about everything and told him she was leaving him, taking the kids, etc.)

8. alioop

alioop Verified Attorney (AU)

I totally agree. I would bundle my kids to school so I could deal with a situation like this and protect them from it until I knew what was happening. I would also have played it down to my kids and not told them mummy is missing just that she's not home yet and is probably having a chat to someone. I also wouldn't have called the police that early.

It's in my opinion an antiquated system and needs big overhauling. Juries should get written directions including what reasonable doubt means. There should be no guess work for juries about how they should go about reaching a verdict.
    If they can hear the judges summing up as many times as they ask for it, it's ridiculous they can't just be given a copy. They have already been told what is evidence and what isn't.

9. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that one of the senior BC's had it probably the Mother. She didn't go to the house that morning did she? Bet she turned it on or even Olivia did Fig Tree Pocket is less than 4kms from their house. Then one of them disposed of it and possibly the missing pajamas. IMHO

10. Zim

Zim New Member

Surely if HER phone was already destroyed at that point HIS messages would have been "unable to deliver"
    Seems he knew about that. HER phone was turned on just long enough to receive texts then 'got rid of'
    He knew exactly what he was doing at that time. It all fell apart following this ! IMOO

11. FigTree

FigTree Well-Known Member

I agree he could have moved it by hand.
    (because I believe it was pre-meditated and planned)
    He would have worn gloves - again.

12. squizzey1

squizzey1 Verified insider - Allison Baden-Clay case

that's correct they were until verdict was given and if it was a long case they got exempted for life from further jury service

13. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

Agrees. I would have told them that Mummy had left early to go to the conference and taken them to school. Then called the police.

14. Timmy

Timmy Member

.... And most of us I assume would not have hurt mummy in the first place or put our children in that awful predicament !

15. Fuskier

Fuskier Well-Known Member

16. alioop

alioop Verified Attorney (AU)

Also it takes pressure off the jury to rush a verdict so they can get home to their families. Knowing they get to go home every day, it's a bit like just going to work for the day. Easier to handle.

17. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

Do you honestly believe that? I always thought someone would kill the pedophile Ferguson, but nobody ever did, I just can't see that happening with GBC. jmho

18. Bekazzled

Bekazzled New Member

QLD and I believe general Australian courts don't do the jury duty thing where people are holed up in hotels. No one I have ever known who has been a juror has done this here, and several people I know have been jurors on murder trials. The system follows more of a "we trust you'll keep this info to yourself, or you're out" mentality and allow people to go home at night. They're not supposed to discuss the case with anyone and in this case, not allowed to access social media. And from what I can gather, the jurors have been very good about keeping their lips shut in this regard. It just seems to be a law that's taken seriously and everyone respects it? e.g. Some people in Brisbane have figured out individual members of the jury because they have shown up for work around only certain times of the trial (mornings, Fridays etc) and have "gone on leave", and these individuals have been very quiet and others leave them alone. I think it's so nail-bitingly serious and awful that people treat it very timidly and respectfully... well, so far. MOO

19. Amee

Amee Active Member

Michael Kersnovske ‏@MKersnovske 32s

Additional chairs being brought into the court ahead of #badenclay verdict. Jury still deliberating @tennewsqld

20. BJsleuth

BJsleuth New Member

I thought about this too. Presumably no clean up because the blood was still there and leaf litter still in the foot well etc. I mentioned way back that the car could have been vacuumed then staged to look like it wasn't. Someone mentioned lines from the vacuum on the carpet. I think there are ways around it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.