The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW - There we are - we're at DAY 18 and now waiting for a verdict.

How much notice is given for when the court returns to deliver the verdict?

Not a lot I would think, once the jury reach a verdict they would inform the Bailiff, Bailiff notifies who he is required to notify, phonecalls are made to defence & prosecution chambers to say a verdict has been reached and that he jury is about deliver the verdict ... barristers then don robes and race back to court
I'm pretty sure that's how it goes

Thank goodness. At last. Back to my own life. May justice prevail.

I actually dislike my own morbid fascination with this case. But I think what sucked me in,over and above that, was my inherent revulsion for those who think they have some genetic right to be 'better'. And on top of that the wasteful financial and emotional drain this has inflicted on so, so many. And the selfishness, the arrogance, the misogyny, the complete lack of self-awareness...

Why is it so hard to just tell the truth?

Not a lot I would think, once the jury reach a verdict they would inform the Bailiff, Bailiff notifies who he is required to notify, phonecalls are made to defence & prosecution chambers to say a verdict has been reached and that he jury is about deliver the verdict ... barristers then don robes and race back to court
I'm pretty sure that's how it goes
Thank you I have been wondering what the process was Cheers !

I wonder how the jury will start their deliberations? Will they do a vote first to see which side they're all on? Or will they go through all the evidence first? What if they all agree straight up? Could a decision be made in 5 minutes? Just my random thoughts. Never been on a jury myself. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually dislike my own morbid fascination with this case. But I think what sucked me in,over and above that, was my inherent revulsion for those who think they have some genetic right to be 'better'. And on top of that the wasteful financial and emotional drain this has inflicted on so, so many. And the selfishness, the arrogance, the misogyny, the complete lack of self-awareness...

I totally agree. Let's hope justice is served. I, like you, dislike my own obsession with this case, and am looking forward to seeing it wound up. I can't help thinking that it will never be wound up for the Dickies and the 3 girls. The horror endures. We are very fortunate to go back to our own lives at the end of this.

thank goodness. At last. Back to my own life. May justice prevail.

I actually dislike my own morbid fascination with this case. But i think what sucked me in,over and above that, was my inherent revulsion for those who think they have some genetic right to be 'better'. And on top of that the wasteful financial and emotional drain this has inflicted on so, so many. And the selfishness, the arrogance, the misogyny, the complete lack of self-awareness...

exactly!

Are there people sitting around NOW waiting for verdict??? Do they rock up at 9am tomorrow in case??? What do the families do?

11:33am: If the verdict is guilty of murder, no further verdict will be taken.

However, if the verdict is not guilty, Justice Byrne's associate will ask: "How do you find the accused again naming him guilty or not guilty of manslaughter?"

The jury's speaker will answer.

The jury will then be asked again to collectively confirm the verdict is unanimous.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-18-week-5-20140710-3bnzp.html#ixzz371kmdK6Z

When I was on a jury, the first thing we did was go round the circle to see what each person thought, guilty or not guilty. It ended up taking about 5 days for all of us to agree. There was one person who disagreed with the others and it became quite heated at times. This is the problem, it only takes 1 person to disagree with the others.

So the wait begins.... Biggest Thankyou to everyone for their court reports and tweets!!!!
Sucks being away from home- I've used 3 times my monthly data already trying to keep up!!! Lol....
How are we all feeling? Are we positive about a guilty verdict?? I'm nervous!!!!!
Do we have any idea when there will be a verdict?

Hello Brizzymum, Well said. And same here. I have never followed crime, neither have I ever participated in blog sites, or even been a letter writer.
I followed the Chamberlain case from a distance, thinking that the jury would naturally get it right. (I come from the bush and I know things, IYKWIM.)
That is another reason I am here. Plus all your reasons.
Re your question: "Why is it so hard to just tell the truth?"
Your own last sentence prior to that, answers that question. "And the selfishness, the arrogance, the misogyny, the complete lack of self-awareness..."

Are there people sitting around NOW waiting for verdict??? Do they rock up at 9am tomorrow in case??? What do the families do?

Families/friends etc usually stay close by in the city somewhere until the end of the day, they stay in touch with thier legal representatives, they will get called once a verdict has been reached, barristers and solicitors head back to their chambers and wait for the phone call from the court.

In high profile cases like this though I would think the families have a "quiet" space to wait, somewhere away from the public

If no verdict is reached today, everyone comes back tomorrow and waits

When they have reached a verdict, they will file into the courtroom and be asked if they have a verdict.

They will first be asked whether Mr Baden-Clay is guilty of murder.

If yes, Mr Baden-Clay likely will be sentenced. Life imprisonment is mandatory.

If not, the jury they will be asked whether they find him guilty or not guilty of manslaughter.

If guilty, he will be sentenced.

If he is found not guilty of either then he will walk free.

http://www.qt.com.au/news/gerard-baden-murder-trial-jury-begins-deliberation/2314537/

Ebony Cavallaro ‏@ebonycavallaro 1m

Lots of people milling around court, jury deliberation always a tense time - so unpredictable timing & decision #badenclay @9NewsBrisbane
It took a bit over 24 hours for Daniel Morcombes Jury to reach a verdict!! (about 8 hours of actual deliberation time.)
When the jury are ready to come back I think it would be put onto a news report because they would need time to contact the relevant people and assemble back into the court...I imagine???

In my webslomnia overnight, I started thinking about this crime from a different angle, trying to get inside the mind of a criminal mastermind. Clearly, I'm not and neither is GBC - not such a bad thing.

IMO, GBC fairly quickly determined only two alternative versions would clear him: suicide and misadventure. There was more circumstantial evidence favouring the former, but only the latter would see him paid her life insurance, hence IMO the insistence to police early that there were no mental health/medication/relationship issues (this assumed prominence later, when his own liberty became more important IMO).

So, I think there were only, in each case, just a few more things GBC needed to do in order to make either credible, to my mind at least. As you would appreciate by now, I mean no disrespect to Allison in writing this, just thinking from a defendant's perspective.

Misadventure

1. Admit the scratches were inflicted during an argument about the resumed affair/not attempt to conceal them;
2. Concoct that Allison fled the house, on foot, in an agitated state;
3. Not get blood in her car;
4. Not get plant matter in her hair;
5. Not recharge your phone, or say you did because you were awake, worried sick;
6. 'Cleanse' A's handset (as nothing incriminating's been found via the telco) and leave it in plain sight, at home or on her person;
7. Deposit the body closer to home, but inflict further injury in doing so to both mask existing and suggest a violent (other) attacker;
8. Remove A's jewellery;
9. Approach the required phone calls in the correct order and act at least 30% more normal.

Suicide

1. As above;
2. As above, but by car;
3. As above;
4. As above;
5. As above;
6. As above, but leave it at home;
7. Deposit the body at the bridge, but over rather than under it, in order to inflict injury consistent with a fall from that height;
8. Leave her car at the bridge;
9. As above.

He might just have gotten away with it. What do you think?

Re your question: "Why is it so hard to just tell the truth?"
Your own last sentence prior to that, answers that question. "And the selfishness, the arrogance, the misogyny, the complete lack of self-awareness..."

You're good!

Alioop, you may have missed it a few pages back when the tweets were coming through quickly, but another member stated that this trial does not include the "interfering with a corpse" charge. Can you tell us if this is true? I thought it would all be in the same trial....clearly he's guilty of both if found guilty for murder?

You got me thinking now. I have not heard anything about the interference with a corpse charge being dropped and I can't imagine why it would be as it's a big part of the allegations of what happened to Allison. But, I can't see anything in the judges directions to the jury about it so I don't know. Anyone else got any comments. maybe something in what Todd has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth