The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alioop what kind of document would be handed to family members in court?

Why don't they get transcripts? Omg I would never be able to remember everything!

I don't think it's that unusual that the kids went to school, but what I find unusual and slightly disturbing is that he told the poor girls that mum was missing. Why on earth would you scare your girls like that and then ship them off to school?
It is actually quite unusual

I don't think it's that unusual that the kids went to school, but what I find unusual and slightly disturbing is that he told the poor girls that mum was missing. Why on earth would you scare your girls like that and then ship them off to school?

I agree.. At that point you would not want to worry them unnecessarliy. At that point, you would be assuming Allison is still alive(unless you know otherwise ;)). I'd think sending them to school and trying not to let them know too much or see too much of what was going on re police and that Mummy was missing was not necessarily unusual. But telling them she fell down a hole and wasn't coming back? Or even telling them much at all about her being missing, rather than trying to down play it for their benefit- I think is a bit off.

Could it be that A being sent a text "woke" (very technical I know, I mean the screen lighting up and the SMS being registered) her phone up and it somehow connected to the internet?

iMessage uses the internet. It would have connected receiving an iMessage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supercedes all other courts.
Mahatma Gandhi

A poster asked if the judge could overrule the jury's verdict (US/UK)...

It very rarely happens at all but when it does, a criminal court judge cannot overrule an acquittal in the US. (Double jeopardy is enacted.) A judge can reverse a conviction - known as JNOV (judgement not withstanding a verdict) - usually due to a lack of evidence necessary to establish guilt BARD or malfeasance during the trial that would cause a higher court to overturn the conviction (like the prosecutor withholding evidence favourable to the defence).

In the UK a Crown court judge cannot reverse a verdict but can instruct the jury to return with a not guilty verdict if the burden's not been met - the jury can also ignore that direction - but the appellate court would simply quash the conviction anyway or render a substitute verdict.

In 25 years of following trials, I can only recall it happening twice - the San Francisco dog mauling case and British nanny Louise Woodward. It's really not common...and prosecutors still retain the right to appeal a set aside verdict.

JMO and HTH

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

You got me thinking now. I have not heard anything about the interference with a corpse charge being dropped and I can't imagine why it would be as it's a big part of the allegations of what happened to Allison. But, I can't see anything in the judges directions to the jury about it so I don't know. Anyone else got any comments. maybe something in what Todd has said.

It has not been mentioned in this trial at all as a charge. It has certainly been mentioned that Allison's body was dumped, therefore implying the notion of interference with a corpse, but it is not part of THIS trial.

I would imagine that QPS may not have wanted to create any form of confusion or ambiguity in this trial by having to prosecute two charges rather than one to the jury. I have no doubt that once he is found guilty there would be absolutely no reason why they could not then go forward with interfering with a corpse, especially if they are thinking of charging mnore than one person with the crime.

JMHO.

Cheers.

Was in main court today. Poor Mr Dickies eyes are so bloodshot and all parties look really weary. Defence, Prosecution..even jury. Mark Ainsworth sat next to Mr Dickie and seems to be mulling around with the Dickies. The Dickies friends have been handing out yellow ribbons to their close family/friends. As Gerbil was leaving court, NBC, EBC and OBW were trying to talk to him and he looked at them and shook his head and kept walking. They all looked a bit disappointed. The Dickies have their own private room next to court room and same with BC's. Media will have 12 seats in the court when the jury deliver their verdict. Plus 12 seats for each side of family. Gerbil looked really stressed out before he left room. Hand to forehead. Let's hope for a great result! Hot Toddy has done a great job. My prediction - tomorrow verdict, but would be so happy for today so I can finally sleep well know Gerbil is locked up.

Thank you for sharing. Ugh I just feel sick thinking about what the Dickies are going through.

I find him sending the girls to school something very distasteful. I will find it disgraceful if he is found guilty.
The girls will not forget that day.
When age brings wisdom, they will question the role of the adults who made decisions at that time.
I hope they have strong hearts and any sad and anxious memories of the day are replaced by the beautiful thoughts of their mother.

Justice for Allison and her Girls.

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 25s
The jury has been called back into the courtroom. They've been deliberating for two hours

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 36s

Justice John Byrne has asked the jury to come back to court #badenclay @couriermail

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 43s

Jurors have returned to court - this is NOT a verdict. They are receiving a direction from the judge. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 46s
I had not expected to see you so soon but an important matter brought to my attention - Justice Byrne

Justice Byrne says clear directions not been observed

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 32s

Justice Byrne is warning the #badenclay jury not to use the internet, after one brought a 'how to deliberate' guide into the jury room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member