The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 19th June - Trial Day 7, Week 2

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by marlywings, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oddsocks

Oddsocks Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything about fingernail scraping evidence. I hope there is something.

2. drsleuth

drsleuth Well-Known Member

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 15s

Dr Hoskins says he is unable to say whether one of the smaller scratches is joined to one of the larger abrasions. #badenclay

Dr Hoskins agrees that ageing of injuries is not a precise science. #badenclay

Dr Hoskins agrees he formed his opinion from looking at photographs. #badenclay

3. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

Hello guests!

:welcome5:

:australia:

4. ford71

ford71 Member

In the last 24hours I have read 2 more witnesses have come forward with information

5. drsleuth

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 3m

Under x exam, Dr Hoskins says "it's impossible to say with absolute certainty" that marks on face were from fingernails. @abcnews #badenclay

Emmy Kubainski ‏@emmykubainski 8m

Forensic expert: "they might have all the hallmarks of fingernail scratches but I can't rule-out other causes" #badenclay @7NewsBrisbane

6. Freya1977

Freya1977 Well-Known Member

Thank you. :loveyou:

7. drsleuth

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 7s

Dr Hoskins says if it is a skin flap at the top of one of the abrasions, it would indicate a bottom to top motion. #badenclay

8. BJsleuth

BJsleuth New Member

I'm surrounded by males and have been my entire life. I've never seen a shaving wound like that. My Dad used the type where you put the double sided blade between two metal pieces and then screw in the handle. My brothers started with thwt type then have used various types of disposables or disposable blade types. My hubby uses the exact same razor as in the evidence photos and I've used it myself. He said that it would require a lot of pressure to inflict those injuries with a blunt razor and that it would sting immediately so you would stop. From my experience, the blade pops off if you push even slightly too hard and yet I still haven't injured myself with it. My son has had the worst shaving cut I've seen done with cheap disposables but it didn't look anything like that. He still has the scar.

9. drsleuth

10:33am
    Photograph from the police examination of Gerard Baden-Clay.

Photograph from the police examination of Gerard Baden-Clay. Photo: Court Exhibit

10:33am: Dr Hoskins described the three clear abrasions on Mr Baden-Clay's face as "non-linear" and "ragged".

He said the abrasions were characteristic of fingernail scratches.

"The thing that springs to my mind is that those injuries are characteristic of fingernail scratches," he said.

"That's what we see when people are scratched with fingernails, [but] it doesn't absolutely exclude alternative explanations."

He added that the injuries appeared to be between six and 24 hours old at the time the photographs were taken.

[​IMG]

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-7-week-2-20140619-3af2d.html#ixzz352kqF6Gh

10. JK673

JK673 New Member

Thanks for letting me know about the two witnesses - I have been reading everything and missed it! :)

11. drsleuth

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou

Dr Hoskins agrees the injuries to Gerard's chest area are "essentially bruising" with two or three abrasions. #badenclay

Dr Hoskins says although he can't say conclusively that they are abrasions. #badenclay

Defence says another expert gave an opinion that he "could not confidently identify the abrasions referred to". #badenclay

Dr Hoskins says he spent a lot of time examining the images, enhancing them, and feels he identified some skin breaks. #badenclay

12. whatif?

whatif? Member

For the prosecution Humdinger, they live very close to GBC and Allison, prosecution did give there addresses but I dont want to divulge that here.

13. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

Had to look at another pic of GBC, did we? You guys take no prisoners.

14. drsleuth

10:40am: Dr Hoskins said he would accept that a branch or twig could have caused such injuries.

He said a photograph of the razor, with which Mr Baden-Clay claimed to have cut himself, was "extremely important" in his assessment of the injuries.

"Firstly, this is a device that has been designed over a number of decades to prevent injury," he said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-7-week-2-20140619-3af2d.html#ixzz352lh0nJW

15. Humdinger

Humdinger Active Member

Thanks a bunch Whatif! Much appreciated!

16. drsleuth

Sorry :blushing::blushing:

17. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

In the USA, it takes a LOT of red tape to add witnesses to a trial this late in the game. I like the Australian justice system. To me, it seems more fair to the victim!!!

18. coolcat

coolcat Member

Just a suspicion that I have that haunts me every time I see the Chest scratches.

I truley suspect that GBC has smothered Allison and those scratches/bruises & burst capillaries look like she has fought for her life to try and get him off her - gripping, possibly kicking and scratching.

I know I have left the same marks while my husband and I are play wrestling (nothing kinky...I swear) but because of his strength I always struggle to get free so I do always grab, kick and scratch till he is hurt - Lucky for me its only play fighting but I really believe GBC held Allison down and stopped her from breathing..... Sorry to paint such a grim Picture :(

19. drsleuth

10:48am: Dr Hoskins also examined photographs of the injuries on Mr Baden-Clay's neck, chest and shoulder.

He said the scratch to Mr Baden-Clay's neck may have been a "scratch through clothing", although he could not rule out other explanations.

He added it was unlikely the mark was the result of "repeated scratching" such as that to ease an itch.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-7-week-2-20140619-3af2d.html#ixzz352lpzrFK

20. Forensics

Forensics Member

If I remember rightly the same thing happened in the Oscar Pistorius case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.