The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 1st July - Trial Day 13, Week 3

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by marlywings, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauraT

LauraT Member

I have one of those singlets with built in bras...no support whatsoever. I think she probably changed into this when she got home to lounge around in but really doubt that it would provide enough support for exercising in....

2. Her Honour

Her Honour New Member

Proving myself also to be reasonably unreliable with a FOURTH post...my thoughts on today:

1. Getting Nicked For Dummies: One should never, ever, smile, much less LAUGH while being cross-examined in one's murder trial. He (apparently) did so a couple of times today, at important junctures. V. bad effect.

2. Poor Alioop's off making dinner (like I just was: Dinner? You want dinner? Again?) but she nailed it when she commented that the real danger looming in GBC's 'mind' might have been Allison 2.0 confronting Toni the following day rather than (as seemed to be the focus previously) the other way around. I think it's important that GBC added, almost as a throwaway, to 'I had no concern', that 'Allison had probably anticipated that Toni would be at that conference anyway'. So too the unnecessary admission that he suggested Allison treat herself to 'a coffee' after her hair appointment. It's well established now that he did little without an underlying, self-serving purpose. Why does he need, that particular night, Allison out any longer than she'd already been? He had gone to great pains to keep the two women at arms length. Of COURSE they would, at the very least, have clocked each other at that conference. It's not Vegas (despite the nickname). I think he was panicking alright. His real fear of the rekindled affair being discovered the very next day is starting to make a lot of sense as a very compelling and critically, time sensitive motive.

3. In that regard, my spidey senses start to tingle each time GBC protesteth too much. I think a pattern can now be identified whereby whenever he adds an adjective to a denial ('absolutely not', 'completely untrue', 'not at all' etc), he is particularly defensive about the preceding question. Try it out next time.

4. Life insurance. I think there was a fairly blatant attempt to fox the jury in this regard. Yes, insurers require NOTIFICATION of an event relevant to any policy, but barring any unusual clause in the particular policy, generally notification must occur within a 'reasonable' time. Allison was the insured. So the 'obligation' to which NBC allegedly referred to NOTIFY the insurer of an event relevant to the policy was hers. Upon her death, that obligation would have transferred to her estate/executor (then GBC, I am supposing). So far, NBC and GBC correct. However, I believe the event (death) was notified uncommonly quickly. And, there is CERTAINLY no 'OBLIGATION', at law, to make a CLAIM on the policy, which is what was being done. The alacrity of the making of the claim suggests, of course, the moolah was required urgently, but to me also suggests there MIGHT have been a concern as to the future standing of GBC to make the claim at all.

Apologies for the ramble. At least you can't hear me from the 'sidelines'. I really was in two minds prior to today, but I found GBC's evidence today fatally flawed. I should think the prosecution, while not yet knocking off early to go to the pub, would be pretty pleased with the way it all came out today.

P.S. DrWatson, if you indeed look like Jonathan LaPaglia in blue scrubs, please don same and head to your nearest McDonalds forthwith. I will be the redhead in librarian glasses avoiding the coffee.

3. Thinking

Thinking New Member

I know what you mean wwgy. It is like FINALLY he is having to answer the hard questions after two long years, finally!

4. Neuromancer

Neuromancer New Member

Yeah where's Trooper? They missed their golden hour! >.<

5. Lu-Lu

Lu-Lu New Member

Thank you. :tyou:

6. Her Honour

Her Honour New Member

OH and about those pyjamas, don't be surprised if Mr Fuller does not revisit them (he may), but I think as important as their whereabouts is GBC's evidence as to whether he even looked for them THAT DAY. His repeated 'can't see them in the picture' was terrible. Just terrible. Eventually said he didn't know where they were but they've got him on that: he didn't look and it is one of the first things anyone in his position would do.

7. Snails

Snails New Member

I wonder where they are???

8. Neuromancer

Neuromancer New Member

yes and in the first police interview he says "she has a singlet top.. um..." like he nearly says "she has a singlet top ON" and stops himself

9. Neuromancer

Neuromancer New Member

Yes i remember it was cold too

maybe too hard to squeeze those thick socks into runners, and he thought leaving his socks on her might incriminate him.

also just thought - if she was just wearing socks when stuff went down, that would have increased her risk of slipping on the floor and falling over in a scuffle.

10. Neuromancer

Neuromancer New Member

very true

11. Mumma Bear

Mumma Bear New Member

I hope Fuller is saving up two gems from Allison's journal - these will be harder for GBC to put his little spin on:
    - the won't hug me one.
    - the won't make love to me one.

12. AAAA

AAAA New Member

Thanks so much for your post, very insightfull. I hope you hang around until the end.

13. sosocurious

sosocurious Well-Known Member

GBC didn't tell the police on the morning of 20 April that he was still in contact with Toni because he anticipated that Allison was going to walk back through the door.
    What did he think? --- That the police were going to say good your back did you know Ger is still in contact with Toni.
    Why did he tell them about the affair at all at that point?

14. Susan12

Susan12 Active Member

Love your thinking that's excellent about how the blood might have gotten in the car and the chipped tooth. I'm not sure I think she was only unconscious when she was put in the car though.

It may be sadly that he did kill her but that he didn't really plan to and thought because of the affair people would think it was on purpose and hid her, caring more about himself than anything else. My reasons for thinking it had been planned were around hearing he'd tried to call the insurance company the week before but hadn't been allowed to but now I'm not sure if that's true or considered evidence?

15. Susan12

Susan12 Active Member

Ooh ooh, I agree. The bleeding from the mouth could explain the jumper around the head, trying to absorb the bleeding.

So the boxes weren't always in the car, I hope Fuller brings that up tomorrow.

16. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

"Mr BC, who has helped you in the commission of this murder, it is way too sophisticated for you to complete on your own, isn't it"?

"No one helped me,.... Errr I mean ummmmm......

17. Neuromancer

Neuromancer New Member

Glad you're sticking around HH - enjoying your posts ;)

Yes protestething too much indeed ;)

today I noticed how he's suddenly trying really really hard to deny that he was under any financial stress at all. Like he's suddenly realising that - "omg - they might think I'm not so totally awesome after all and there's a chance I killed her for the insurance!!11!"
    Not the fastest boat in the race, our GBC"

18. Zim

Zim Active Member

Attached Files:

19. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

Do you think the trial will still be going next week? I can't go till then.

20. Nice!

rsbm + bbm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.