The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 1st July - Trial Day 13, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 17s
Fuller asks Gerard if he has been to Kholo Creek. Gerard says he has driven over it. #badenclay

David Murray @TheMurrayD · 32s
Fuller: have you been to Kholo Creek before. Gerard: I'd driven across the bridge #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 8s
Gerard says he didn't know exactly where the scout camp was. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 27s
Gerard says if you'd asked him where Kholo Creek bridge was before April, he wouldn't have been able to tell you. #badenclay

David Murray @TheMurrayD · 17s
Fuller: you were distressed when you spoke to Sue Heath because of your desperate need for money. Gerard: we've discussed that #badenclay

He's pretty cavalier about his mates losing $270 000 (yes between three of them but still!)

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 13s
Fuller is asking again about the morning Allison disappeared. #badenclay

3.30pm: The jury heard continued cross-examination of Gerard Baden-Clay by Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller QC.

He asked Baden-Clay about the questions he and his wife spoke about at Mt Coot-tha on April 18, 2012.

Baden-Clay said he and his wife were probably away for half an hour, or maybe slightly longer.

He said they arrived home to learn his brother had a new baby boy.

The accused said the family was happy but he could not comment on his wife’s happiness because she went straight to bed.

Baden-Clay agreed he did not tell police about the conversation on April 18 because they had not asked him about it.

Mr Fuller suggested to Baden-Clay that would have been important to tell police.

The accused agreed he told police his wife had a past history of depression.

“I wouldn’t say it was the furtherest thing on my mind, no,” he said.

He said he told police he did not know if his wife was still taking Zoloft.

Baden-Clay agreed he was asked if there was any indication the marriage would end and he told them, “I hope not”.

He agreed he went into the house with a police officer to talk about his extramarital affair.

Baden-Clay agreed those conversations did not take place in front of his father, Nigel Baden-Clay.

“At that point in time my primary concern was for Allison’s safety or whereabouts, I expected her to be walking in the door at any moment … at any moment I anticipated she would be back so no, I did not discuss the fact I had been in communication with Toni McHugh since September the year before, that’s correct,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226972945594

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 15s
Fuller says it had gone past the point of her falling over somewhere by the time police arrived. #badenclay

David Murray @TheMurrayD · 4s
Fuller: let's talk about when police came, something serious could have happened #badenclay

Caroline Overington @overingtonc · 16s
Gerard says no #badenclay

Caroline Overington @overingtonc · 35s
The Crown suggests that he was in fact distressed about his desperate quest for money #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 24s
Gerard says her falling over, getting knocked unconscious, was foremost in his mind. #badenclay

David Murray @TheMurrayD · 13s
Gerard: my mind was in a spin wondering what might have happened to her, thought she may have slipped #badenclay

Caroline Overington @overingtonc · 34s
Testimony turns again to the day of Allison's disappearance #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 10s
Gerard says they were still to determine the terms in April 2012, even though he had already been leant the money. #badenclay

I heard all of Chessman, Christ and Cranna's evidence in court and none of them said they were still to agree on terms. Terms were agreed at time of loan, though Christ seemed a little confused about interest.

The accused said he phoned Ms McHugh to ask her to tell the truth on April 20, 2012.

“I wanted to know what Toni’s position was,” he said, adding that it was not his belief they were still involved.

Baden-Clay told the court his wife never asked him how many people in his office knew about the affair.

He said Ms Baden-Clay did not ask him whether he would be able to “live with the guilt”.

The jury was shown another page from Ms Baden-Clay’s diary.

Mr Fuller asked the accused to read the next line.

“I couldn’t go back to her even if I wanted to,” he read aloud.

He said he did not know why his wife had written that.

Baden-Clay said his wife and her friend Kerry-Anne Walker went away together for her 40th birthday in 2008.

Mr Fuller took him to a line she had written near to her dot-point marked “40th birthday”, which read “4 weeks later started”.

“I was never asked the question but she’s obviously referencing that’s when the affair started,” he said.

Baden-Clay said he did not know why his wife had written in her diary: “Why so mean?”

“I don’t know and if she had been able to ask me that question she would have been able to expand upon that. We had recommenced our sexual relationship in about February that year after the best part of nine years with hardly any … and it was very awkward initially,” he said.

“There were a couple of occasions at the beginning where Allison was very self-conscious and very self-aware of what we were doing and I think she thinks that I laughed at the underwear that she was wearing and that’s not true.”

He said he did not tell his wife she smelled.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226972945594

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 13s
Fuller says there would have been nothing suspicious in those questions. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 25s
Fuller says one possibility was she might have taken off. Gerard was asked questions about that. #badenclay

i was confused.... about the subtlety comment from fuller I think

hubby is trying to get me to watch a movie - we r both on holidays... - and i am distracted...lol

Fuller let a bit of sarcasm slip - GBC is anything but subtle!

David Murray @TheMurrayD · 17s
Fuller: if something happened it was possible she had been taken from your house or on her walk #badenclay

David Murray @TheMurrayD · 37s
Fuller: when she wasn't found, had to consider she may have taken off #badenclay

Caroline Overington @overingtonc · 16s
Gerard agrees that one of the possibilities was that Allison may have taken off #badenclay

Still mired in the opening stages of today's proceedings, but just wanted to thank you all for such a warm welcome (really though, what did I expect, y'all are so lovely) AND to those reproducing said proceedings (great to have a 'live feed' short of braving the Banco Court and yes, hats off to the Court administration for being so accommodating of the public interest; I should think it's quite unprecedented, even nationally).

Well. No more Happy Meals for Gerard. Not only, I'm sure, will MickeyD's wish to ensure he never again darkens their doorsteps, he's far better suited to HJs, the Home of...wait for it...The Whopper.

And dearest Trooper (whom I visualise sitting before his vintage typewriter, his trusty pup having ingeniously hooked it up to the 'net, Hemingwayesque in looks, decked out in full Canadian Mountie regalia, perhaps with a pipe?, bangin' out his golden one liners): I am sooo not learned. My username is less self referential and more a tribute to the long suffering victim. If GBC REALLY wants to know what it's like to live with a reclusive, lazy, anxiety riddled mother amid domestic squalor, he can spend his day release with me. On second thoughts...NO.

(For what it's worth, I also picture Neuromantic as some sleek, ravenhaired, sexygeek; They'llgetyou and Wewillgetyou as living side by side in a duplex without knowing it; Possumheart as the quintessential Earth Mother; DrWatson as JonathanLaPagliainLoveChilddressedinplaid and Marlywings as an ACTUAL ANGEL.)

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 14s
Fuller says one possibility would have been she was abducted on her walk. Gerard says there are innumerable possibilities. #badenclay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member