The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 2nd July - Trial Day 14, Week 3

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by marlywings, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan12

Susan12 Active Member

you've obviously out some thought into this so I'm taking your post seriously but in all honesty I don't get how this could be a realistic possibility.

Speaking as someone from Brisbane's west, it's not cold enough out here in April to die of hypothermia even if not moving around. It's colder out here in Winter but paradoxically it's warmer out here in summer and we still get the warm weather in April. If she was stuck out here and cold there'd be traffic coming past or homes she could go to for assistance rather than freezing.

As a theory it also wouldn't explain why Allison would be out this way. She wouldn't just decide to walk there, and it'd take ages, and she'd be seen. It's not near to her house foot wise. What would be the purpose for being there?

2. Mumma Bear

Mumma Bear New Member

Gerard says Fuller is asking a lot of hypothetical questions he has never thought about in detail. #badenclay

^ One of the tweets from today - makes me wonder how well the defence prepared him? Or did he insist on testifying and they just said, OK, you're on your own, buddy. The defence really did seem to drop the ball at the end. Wonder what they really think of him.

3. linette

linette New Member

Yes... i bet he remembers exactly where he was when he dialed the number.

4. JCB

JCB New Member

Thank you for the kind words :)

I've been left a bit perplexed after the defence case, the toxicologist was largely superfluous I thought and the psychiatrist said what needed to be said but I'm confused as to why GBC gave evidence.

I said in an earlier post that I expected a psychiatrist to be the only witness for the defence and I still believe that would have been the best strategy (from a defence point of view). The reason for my dismay is that at the time I could think of only 2 reasons for putting GBC on the stand - There was some kind of smoking, or at least smouldering gun or GBC had simply ignored counsel's instructions not to give evidence. I did not imagine that Byrne QC would recommend getting on the stand and I also did not expect GBC to go against the recommendations of such senior and competent counsel.

I don't believe GBC's evidence was particularly damning or helpful to either party. By this point in the trial the jury would have known him to be manipulative, dishonest and deceitful when the need arose. Fuller QC certainly hammered that point home but in general juries tend to be turned off by aggressive lines of questioning that have already been largely addressed. Trying to put myself in the shoes of a juror, I'd be thinking something along the lines of "Yeah, this dude's a creep but that's all the prosecutor banged on about, if he is guilty why wasn't he able to elicit something that contradicted the earlier evidence"?

I'd say the last 2 days slightly favoured the defence, but not to the extent that I was concerned about and it was more the evidence of the psychiatrist that one can never eliminate the possibility of suicide, particularly with people who suffer from depression (as was expected) more so than GBC's evidence.

5. kiwijayne

kiwijayne Well-Known Member

Trust me you are all safe

6. Froglady

Froglady Member

I read that the girls did brownies? Do they have different halls for scouts and brownies?

7. laserdisc10

laserdisc10 New Member

Just my take on it, but to be suspected is that if ever any of the defence catch their kids or even nephews carrying on and/or sounding like GBC -- they'd have a knee-jerk and kick the kid into the pool or deliver a back-hander with 'Don't you ever let me hear you speak like that again or you're out of the will' before they could control themselves. In fact, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that those from GBC's defence team book themselves in for some therapy and PTSD-remedials, imo

8. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

I am curious as to how the BC's took in Gerards testimony... Gerard said he wasn't bought up to behave like this... .. not that it made any difference.. his behaviour wasn't a one-off , it was routine, persistant and regular.. .culminating in murder....

Nige and Gerard rang each other all day and every day.. yet Nige states he knows nothing about all this kind of gutter stuff at all.. they must be wondering if they ever really knew him.. . Olivia appeared to have quite an input into Gerards family dynamics, more that the average sister-in-law.... from her evidence, in contrast to Gerards, its like a parallel universe, it doesn't meet at any point of the compass in similarity.

Hearing his version of his life, and contrasting it with Olivia's version of his life, it is two completely different planets not even in the same planetary orbit.

Surely, there must be twinges of paralysing disbelief in the powers of their own judgement by now..

9. laserdisc10

laserdisc10 New Member

Trooper, that was masterful

:floorlaugh:

10. Tangled_Web

Tangled_Web Active Member

One suggestion, at one time, was that a month later would have coincided with the Brookfield Show ...

11. Froglady

Froglady Member

IMO Nige is probably the one who has taught his little grasshopper Gerry the ways of the world. I would even go as far as having the opinion that he condoned it and prob slapped him on the back and said good work mate when he knew about the affair. :facepalm:

12. JCB

JCB New Member

Ugh so many similarly named lawyers! Thanks for pointing that out lol.

13. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Mr Byrne would have made absolutely sure that Gerard signed an indemnity clause in his payment contract for services rendered, releasing Mr Byrne from any blowback from this decision to go on the stand, and most probably, a clause that says Mr Byrne advised against it.

people don't get to be Silks without these little details being pre -arranged.

14. LadyBird1

LadyBird1 Member

Been hoping and praying that someone, Professionally and Psychiatrically trained, might come here, and shed some light on Narcissism.
    Plenty here, I suspect who have lived with it, survived it, learned from it, escaped from it; but to date ... no word from a professional in that field. I for one am keen to hear from you. Thankyou in advance.

15. Consider

Consider New Member

Precisely!!

Oh good to hear someone gets it.

Allison was intelligent and composed but beyond every bit of education and gorgeous personality trait I believe the protection of their vulnerable little girls was tops.

Allison knew of 3 affairs and with her having flashbacks her poor mind might likely had guessed at more in the past. Psychologists would have suggested it too.

How do you leave to protect your girls when the law puts them in the care of such men without Mum there - we only have GBC word he wasn't also a physical abuse - sorry but Allison has all the hallmarks of a silent physical victim (too!) AND then there's their next unsuspecting partners and/or mistresses who Allison might never meet, know or trust to care, drive, 'raise' the girls every second week.

So Allison stays.

Kids are work. Three little girls are work. Prepping lunches, ironing, work emails in the evening, fitting in a bit of down time... GBC and Allison loved them, were experience and more patient than any new partner or mistress is likely to - Allison had to have been weighing all of this up against trying to fix GBC with counsellor after counsellor.

Your village of family love knows how logical it is to say leave him.
    The reality is complex and you can't blame Allison for trying to make it work, hang in there, deal with his 'flaws', think positively, blame self, improve self, etc, etc.

My heart bleeds for Allison and her girls.

Listening to him - brag... condescendingly describe Allison : the Dickies offered her and the girls sanctuary : they have that for comfort : at least their brave and proud daughter eventually shared some of her reality with them before she passed.

It's tough hey. (bit emotional : have followed for 2 years and stopped myself posting so many, many times) It's upsetting.

It's all too common.

Even if some other mug is found to have 900 pieces of evidence proving he killed Allison (& I'm not suggesting that's slightly possible - anyway GBC couldn't afford to pay for a 'hit') - there will never be suitable punishment for men like GBC (without them being murderers) not when there's a woman and one girl, two girls and three girls additionally living under the same roof as this fraud.

jmo

16. laserdisc10

laserdisc10 New Member

Not much is as tragic as a self-absorbed, ostensibly male child, attempting to win approval from his heterosexual father by marrying, producing offspring and flaunting extramarital affairs. Tragic for all involved, not least of whom being the wife and children sacrificed at the altar of machismo

17. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Thanks Amee :)

18. Sor Juana

Sor Juana Member

Respectfully snipped.

Hi Kiwi50, i think it's a good point. My theory on that is that Gerard lied to both women about each other. He probably told Toni how depressive and dull his wife was, and there would be beautiful Allison full of enthusiasm for business. He probably told Allison how annoying Toni was, and there would be Toni with her expectations. Toni could have approached Allison to say sorry or smth... And then who knows.

19. BJsleuth

BJsleuth New Member

I don't usually quote Dr Phil but agree in many cases, that "It's better to come from a broken home than live in one!"

20. BJsleuth

BJsleuth New Member

:floorlaugh:

Maybe Toni has it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.