The Death of K-Mart?

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Blondie in Spokane, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

K-haos at K-Mart? Pictures reveal half-empty shelves, overflowing trash cans and tired displays of merchandise at one of America's largest chains

"Overflowing trash cans, half-empty shelves and gloomy lighting over uncared for displays - as far as attracting customers goes, this is far from 'K-mart smart'.
    Brian Sozzi at Belus Capital Advisors headed to several of the discount retailer's stores to show just how sorry a state they are in."

"Mr Sozzi describes the stores, at unknown locations across the U.S., as 'borderline unsafe' and 'dreadful to visit'.
    The snaps reveal displays of stock with shelves half-empty, looking tired and unappealing to customers, along with exposed wires and heaps of trash."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uncared-new-picture-series.html#ixzz2jm4ed0ta

2. Loading...

3. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

I've always avoided the one in my town in summer because it's so hot in the store and very few checkers. They also quit carrying groceries, but had a really good bakery and good meat prices for quite awhile.

4. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

IIRC, Kmart and Sears filed for bankruptcy some time ago. We no longer have Kmart where I live. Sears may be hanging on by a thread.

Okay, here is the wiki page, looks like the last update on the Kmart "appearance" was in the '90's (that is obvious), and bankruptcy was filed in 2002. Many Kmart and Sears stores began closing in 2011. (I take it that any left will be closing too if stock is depleted, hand made signs are up, and very few employees left working, just a matter of slowly liquidating, imo.)

Kmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

Never liked that store.

6. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

Have one near me that is beautiful, new and clean. I love the wide isles. But they never have what I'm looking for:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

I visited the one in Albany, Oregon last week. The one they had in Eugene is long gone.

I made a few purchases, the prices were good, the shelves were stocked and orderly, and the employees VERY helpful. Maybe some of the other stores need a manager like the one in Albany?

8. keeponsearching

keeponsearching The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood it

My Kmart is not that bad. The clothes are ugly for women. I like the purse section. I like the Kmart points thing, I always seem to have a few dollars to put towards something, and I don't even shop there that much.

9. PMLsmom

PMLsmom Active Member

I shop Kmart online...I get the leggings I wear (if I continually check) for about $4.00 a pair...black, patterned, etc. I mean, that's ALL I wear lol, and have become known for my wild and crazy leggings :) I just buy jumbo t-shirts to wear with them...

10. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

I worked at KMart many many moons ago and they were horrible to their employees.
    SInce that time, I have never been back to KMart.

11. rossva

rossva George Zimmerman: Innocent until proven guilty.

12. oh_gal

oh_gal New Member

Seems to me like K-Mart has been in its death throes for a number of years now. Frankly, I'm surprised that they, and Sears are still in business. I sure do miss the blue light specials....

13. BunnyHop

BunnyHop Former Member

I happen to like my local KMart.
    Close and convenient.
    I go there for small appliances, got a great deal on my small flat screen.
    Magnavox- great sound BTW. I read reviews. $159.

Clothing, I buy good quality T shirts, heavy cotton. Turtlenecks to layer.
    PJ's, underwear.

"Basics" and "route 66". Have one on now.
    Can't beat it for the price.
    I also buy incidentals, like lamp shades and hardware.

I would hate to see them go byebye.

:seeya:

14. BunnyHop

BunnyHop Former Member

Lee jeans. :seeya:

15. Nova

Nova Active Member

So, when the only stores left are Macy's and WalMart, what will they charge then?

16. pomegranate

pomegranate Member

The K-Mart closest to me is dirty and disorganized. There are never many cashiers working and the lines are always horrendous. I only go there as a last resort.

17. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

I want one of those pots that are pictured. The red, orange, yellow, and blue ones. I wonder what brand they are - Rachael Ray perhaps?

18. pomegranate

pomegranate Member

It looks like they have a few different brands - Sandra Lee, Kenmore, Denmark. I can't read the box in the picture but I seem to remember the Sandra Lee packaging looking like that.

19. Jacie Estes

Jacie Estes Medical Marijuana Advocate

The Kmart in the small Black Hills town near where we live is actually pretty nice. I really like the points thing, there have been several times where I have had enough that a purchase has been free. I agree that the clothes are ugly but I love their jewelry sales and their garden department. Wal-Mart is the only other choice around here so I do go to Kmart first, over Wal-Mart.

20. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

I really like Target!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. RT51

RT51 New Member

The K-Mart near me gets flooded every time there are heavy rains, so yeah, don't need to purchase mold. I'm a JC Penney and Target person myself. Better quality, I think, but that's just my opinion.