The Duct Tape Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I see on the next page where it mentions "no latent prints were detected". As a PP has said there are more types of prints than latent, correct?

I'm so confused on what some are saying here about the duct tape. I have not found anywhere in the docs that says anything close to "NO finger prints found on duct tape". Here's what I found:

tape.jpg

All it says is George, Cindy & Lee's prints were NOT on the tape. Casey is NOT mentioned nor is it mentioned that "no prints were found".

The full story is that no prints were found at all. K10-12 are fingerprint samples to be used for elimination in the event that any prints are found. Those are possibly white cards with print samples, or digital scans.

The instructions from OCSO did not say something like "Check for fingerprints of these three people. If you find any others, don't write about those in your report. Don't even mention it to us. Just send the tape back to us. Thanks."

Hope it's okay to crash this duct tape match thread, but I don't know where else to put this observation.

Did anyone else notice how many more pieces of duct tape, that was not attached to Caylee's head, that they found at the crime scene?

Makes me think that maybe her poor little arms were taped as well. :eek:

Not a shock to me; explains how it remained and Caylee wasn't able to remove it from her face if applied while still alive. We were speculating about that in the prior thread before the release.

Just when you think KC couldn't be more depraved... while very, very few could manage it, she outdoes her own self.

Okay, I haven't read the whole thread --- but, how in the heck do they know that the same duct tape they found with Caylee was the same as on the gas cans.... how the heck do you match up duct tape?

Brand, size, chemical composition. From the same roll or same batch.

Okay, I see on the next page where it mentions "no latent prints were detected". As a PP has said there are more types of prints than latent, correct?

Yes, and to some of us that statement is ambiguous because it could mean "no latent prints" of the subjects listed "were detected." Doesn't necessarily, imo, mean none at all and as we discussed, there are other things that indicate there were prints. For example, Bob Kealing, Blink and I think even Kathi Belich indicated bad for defense regarding prints but she could have been referring to overall info. Bad for defense means KC and no one else. Anything else is good for defense, imo.

Think happy thoughts...

flowers...

butterflies...

puppies...

KC's prints and hers alone on duct tape...

The thing is... the theory of KC prints on the tape is not supported by this doc dump. It's totally missing. The only thing supporting the theory is what was said by a few reporters. Unless they saw (unreleased) docs with their own eyes stating positive KC prints on tape... then they are going by what somebody else is saying. Leaks may not always be correct. A reporter can regard a source as credible, and yet still have no real way to test the information for accuracy at the time it is passed on.

If any of these textile fibers found on the tape match KC's clothes I think that's as good as a fingerprint. In the very least, I'm sure they match the carpet in the house or car.

Pg 3801 of documents:

fibers.jpg

The thing is... the theory of KC prints on the tape is not supported by this doc dump. It's totally missing. The only thing supporting the theory is what was said by a few reporters. Unless they saw (unreleased) docs with their own eyes stating positive KC prints on tape... then they are going by what somebody else is saying. Leaks may not always be correct. A reporter can regard a source as credible, and yet still have no real way to test the information for accuracy at the time it is passed on.

you know if a source read only PART of the report to a reporter, say the part about there being no fingerprints belonging to GA, LA, or CA on the duct tape - I can see where the reporter might jump to the conclusion that since KC's name was not mentioned, her prints were on the tape. Or the whole report was read, including the line about no latent prints, but the reporter ignored that when he heard names mentioned and went with that, instead of the whole quote.

you know if a source read only PART of the report to a reporter, say the part about there being no fingerprints belonging to GA, LA, or CA on the duct tape - I can see where the reporter might jump to the conclusion that since KC's name was not mentioned, her prints were on the tape. Or the whole report was read, including the line about no latent prints, but the reporter ignored that when he heard names mentioned and went with that, instead of the whole quote.

I agree; very possible and vice versa too, meaning focusing on the one line instead of the totality. I agree with hotdog too that the reporting is not always reliable. Even Blink says her info is only as good as her source.

All that being said, just watched NG, former prosecutor and Mike Brooks, former LE and they both read the docs to exclude the 3 named prints but not to exclude all prints, if I understood their statements correctly.

As I previously posted, looks like anyone can see whatever they want in that report. "Open to interpretation" as one station mentioned before release. Guess we'll not be coming to any definitive answers on this one until more is released about it.

Brand, size, chemical composition. From the same roll or same batch.

The FBI's conclusion was it was from the same roll or from rolls of tape manufactured in the same manner....

Too bad they don't specifically state what they exactly mean by same manner.

This is exactly what point the National Academy of Science was making with their report IMHO.

I also read about the 3 pieces of tape and thought it said they were found on the remains. Pg. 3790 or 3791 or somewhere close to those pages.

Hope it's okay to crash this duct tape match thread, but I don't know where else to put this observation.

Did anyone else notice how many more pieces of duct tape, that was not attached to Caylee's head, that they found at the crime scene?

Makes me think that maybe her poor little arms were taped as well. :eek:

I saw a post on the NG thread that cannel 9 said there are 1000 more pages coming so maybe there is more about the duct tape?

If KC's prints really were found on the tape it isn't only one missing report about that. There would also have to be a report about how the other three were eliminated. There is a whole science behind fingerprint characteristics and how they appear on objects. Eliminating a subject involves identifying differentiating characteristics and putting it in writing. You just can't say you eliminated somebody with no supporting analysis and expect it to fly in court.

If KC's prints really were found on the tape it isn't only one missing report about that. There would also have to be a report about how the other three were eliminated. There is a whole science behind fingerprint characteristics and how they appear on objects. Eliminating a subject involves identifying differentiating characteristics and putting it in writing. You just can't say you eliminated somebody with no supporting analysis and expect it to fly in court.

That's a given. I'm sure the pros can back it up with the testing. Doesn't duck tape have to be frozen in order to lift finger prints off it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint
According to wki there are 3 types.Plastic refers to fingerprints deposited on a material that retains the shape of the ridges [print] and can be seen with the naked eye. I would think the tacky side of duct tape would be just that type of material.

I saw a post on the NG thread that cannel 9 said there are 1000 more pages coming so maybe there is more about the duct tape?

Let's all hope there will be clarification of this and other questionable releases today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam