The Elevator Video: What's your take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think her body language is too purposeful. If she could not read the buttons she likely would have tried to look at them from different angles, I think. Plus her arm and finger movements would be more hesitant and slow.

Thought so, too. Purposeful is a good word for it.

I just read on the internet about far sighted people. I had just assumed she would be near sighted because of the way her glasses look and because she got close to the elevator pad in the video. Far sighted people don't put their faces close to things to see. The lenses look more like near sighted glasses. Far sighted glasses are convex so they look sort of weird to me--like of coke bottle glasses looking.

If she were a far sighted person then she could forget her glasses because she wouldn't need them unless she was going to read or look at the computer.

The numbers on an elevator are pretty big so it wouldn't make sense for her to be that close if she were far sighted because that would make them more blurry. As close as her face was is more like where I would put my face if I wasn't wearing contacts or glasses.

I think probably she didn't push the buttons the way she did because of being far sighted or being near sighted. It was some other reason.

I mentioned this in a posting a day or two ago, but although her first sequence of presses could have been due to being nearsighted (leaning forward, deliberate pressing from top to bottom of the 7 buttons along the middle,)
being nearsighted wouldn't explain why she would repeat the same sequence 3 times in a row in a rapid succession (even faster than seen on the video, according to the video slowed down theory.)

Note even being nearsighted, she would have seen the glowing lights on the lighted buttons.

Also, it seems her hand-eye coordination is quite good.

Thus, I agree it was some other reason.

I just read on the internet about far sighted people. I had just assumed she would be near sighted because of the way her glasses look and because she got close to the elevator pad in the video. Far sighted people don't put their faces close to things to see. The lenses look more like near sighted glasses. Far sighted glasses are convex so they look sort of weird to me--like of coke bottle glasses looking.

If she were a far sighted person then she could forget her glasses because she wouldn't need them unless she was going to read or look at the computer.

The numbers on an elevator are pretty big so it wouldn't make sense for her to be that close if she were far sighted because that would make them more blurry. As close as her face was is more like where I would put my face if I wasn't wearing contacts or glasses.

I think probably she didn't push the buttons the way she did because of being far sighted or being near sighted. It was some other reason.

I think her body language is too purposeful. If she could not read the buttons she likely would have tried to look at them from different angles, I think. Plus her arm and finger movements would be more hesitant and slow.

Good observation. I read her body language as being somewhat in a hurry. I also tend to go with those who think she pushes all those buttons to confuse a possible follower, either as a game or because she feels threatened. I think she leans in to see just one button (where she plans to go) then pushes the others to hide her intent. She definitely seems purposeful during her first attempt. But if she were seeing clearly and doing a code, why lean in so closely? Maybe this puzzle is not answerable, but no one hypothesis (including my own) has me fully convinced.

Also, I know Team China has done this already, but perhaps our local group ("Team USA/LA"?) could verify elevator control operation. I would like to see that.

As I recall, I think one of the Chinese sleuthers noted that pressing a floor button would override the Door Hold button.

If the door was held open but EL pressing "Door Hold", I curious why wouldn't she press any other floor button to have the elevator move. In the subsequent series (three total) of rapid button presses, it appears that each time she finishes a sequence, she hits "Door Hold" as the last command. The last time, I believe it appeared to be an emphatic press of "Door Hold". If she had pressed any other button (other than the open door button, I assume), I'm thinking elevator doors would have moved (assuming no one outside holding the door.)

That would be great!

also..... bieng able to take some pics/video of the "stairway to roof access" would be really helpful.

Thanks MesaVerde. I quite enjoy reading your posts.
I don't want to push this topic too far, but one final note. I am not familiar with this topic, but what about astigmatism?

With astigmatism, the cornea is abnormally curved, causing vision to be out of focus.

More here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002010/

I tend to agree that the pushing of the buttons could have been for other reasons that have already been mentioned in these threads. However, the reason I keep coming back to the possibility that maybe she can't see clearly is the fact that she pushes the door hold button. Why would she do that if she was trying to avoid someone and throw them off from figuring out which floor she is going to? (not throwing this question at you - just to the general public). It's the pressing of that door hold button that I am confused about.

but although her first sequence of presses could have been due to being nearsighted (leaning forward, deliberate pressing from top to bottom of the 7 buttons along the middle,)

No, definitely not. Near sighted people see very, very well as long as they can get close to whatever they are trying to look at. Now if her face was far away from the buttons and for some reason, she couldn't lean in close to them, then, yes, maybe she couldn't read them.

But she had total control of how close she could get to them so if she were nearsighted, she could read them perfectly.

Now maybe being far sighted could be an explanation. I can't be sure about that as I'm not far sighted. But I don't think so because usually far sighted people don't put their faces so close to things. But not so sure. Really need a far sighted person to tell how it is for them.

Actually, when I posted my original questions about her glasses and their location, I was interested in other interpretations. If she was not without her glasses, then what would explain her leaning down so close to the elevator buttons to push them? Maybe she wore contacts and was without her contacts, but if she wore glasses just for fashion, I don't think she would be leaning in that way. Do you interpret this differently?

Bessie shared really interesting theory yesterday that perhaps she was trying an elevator hack. I wish I could find it for you but have a tough time tracking previous posts. However, Bessie is a mod on the late shift, so see if she will give you a direct link.

Here's the link to my post. (I'm on the day shift today. ;) )

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8997273&postcount=947"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #5[/ame]

I know nothing about elevator hacks, and had never heard of such a thing. From the first time I saw the video, however, it appeared to me she had a reason for pressing a specific combination of buttons. It seemed like a far out notion until I read noodled1's post, which mentioned elevator hacks were a hot topic in social media awhile back. The concensus now seems to be that they're bogus, but that's somewhat irrelevant. What matters is whether or not EL believed an elevator hack would work.

I mentioned this a few days ago, but I'm leaning (ok, no pun intended again) towards nearsightedness if indeed EL didn't have her contacts on (I'm not saying she didn't have contacts on.) The distance the first time between her eyes and the buttons are roughly book distance. As a former nearsighted person needing glasses/contacts (with about -4.75 or something), I know how quick things can get blurry after a few inches or foot/feet. Anyway, LASIK is a great thing.

A far sighted person (not speaking from experience) would have difficulty focusing on near objects. If EL were farsighted, she would probably be more inclined to stand back from the buttons, rather than lean towards them.

Anyway, I think we're talking about the same thing. :)
Near sighted = can only see "near" objects clearly (depending on severity of nearsightedness)
Far sighted = can only see "far" objects clearly (depending on severity of farsightedness)

I'm not an optometrist, but something that resembles farsightedness is presbyopia, which occurs around one's 40's or 50's. That's losing the ability to focus, and since we see far when are eyes are relaxed, that leaves us seeing ok far (assuming we weren't nearsighted/myopic to begin with), we need reading glasses (for books, etc.) Some of us unfortunately end up needing bifocals to help us see far (from myopia) and near (from presbyopia.)

No, definitely not. Near sighted people see very, very well as long as they can get close to whatever they are trying to look at. Now if her face was far away from the buttons and for some reason, she couldn't lean in close to them, then, yes, maybe she couldn't read them.

But she had total control of how close she could get to them so if she were nearsighted, she could read them perfectly.

Now maybe being far sighted could be an explanation. I can't be sure about that as I'm not far sighted. But I don't think so because usually far sighted people don't put their faces so close to things. But not so sure. Really need a far sighted person to tell how it is for them.

Also, I know Team China has done this already, but perhaps our local group ("Team USA/LA"?) could verify elevator control operation. I would like to see that.

As I recall, I think one of the Chinese sleuthers noted that pressing a floor button would override the Door Hold button.

If the door was held open but EL pressing "Door Hold", I curious why wouldn't she press any other floor button to have the elevator move. In the subsequent series (three total) of rapid button presses, it appears that each time she finishes a sequence, she hits "Door Hold" as the last command. The last time, I believe it appeared to be an emphatic press of "Door Hold". If she had pressed any other button (other than the open door button, I assume), I'm thinking elevator doors would have moved (assuming no one outside holding the door.)

- It would be really good to have a video from the elevator on the 14th floor....walking all the way to the roof access door via the stairway.

- also a video of the security cameras.

If she was near-sighted (I'm quite convinced of this based on the photos of the kind of glasses she wore), she would lean in the way that she does. However, if the elevator light was dim, or her body partially blocked it, the lower buttons might be hard for her to see when leaning down, even if her eyesight close up was fine. Maybe that's why she missed being able to read the Hold Door button?

It looks like her red sweater being worn by an Asian male in another hotel elevator. I would really appreciate a translation on this as well!

I didn't think that. The sweater looked too big. (P.S. Also pretty sure that incident actually happened in China from the haircut and clothing of the guy who you see most in the video and by his mannerisms.)

I thought maybe it was somebody being kidnapped and ordered to remove their sweater. Darn! Why don't I know Chinese! I speak Japanese. There are many similarities in body language between the two countries. The way the guy was quickly jerking his chin down at a couple of different times is a way of acknowledging yes, usually as in you are in compliance with what somebody is requesting of you or ordering you to do. It is a strong sign of submission.

His smile in the beginning was not a real smile. It was the smile that Japanese (in this case Chinese but same smile) use when they are extremely uncomfortable or basically the opposite of happy but they don't feel that they are in a powerful position so they don't want to show their dislike or unhappiness. It looks different than their real smiles. If you get this smile like in the video, it means they don't like you or they don't trust you. This is why white people get this type of smile a lot from native Japanese and Chinese people when you meet them. You are an outsider and they don't trust you because they feel that you won't understand them or won't conform to normal societal expectations (normal for them). Like they feel you will behave as an ill bred animal. If you get to know them and earn their trust, they will give you real smiles, which is very nice.

And then at the end of the video, he looked very shocked when that person hugged (assaulted?) him. He looked up like he'd been stabbed. Don't mean he was, just mean he was at least shocked, very, very shocked. I think terrified.

All I could think was that the Chinese news were making some correlation between whatever happened in this elevator and whatever happened to Elisa. It is really frustrating not knowing Chinese.

I don't want to push this topic too far, but one final note. I am not familiar with this topic, but what about astigmatism?

More here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002010/

I tend to agree that the pushing of the buttons could have been for other reasons that have already been mentioned in these threads. However, the reason I keep coming back to the possibility that maybe she can't see clearly is the fact that she pushes the door hold button. Why would she do that if she was trying to avoid someone and throw them off from figuring out which floor she is going to? (not throwing this question at you - just to the general public). It's the pressing of that door hold button that I am confused about.

This might shed a little light.

Supposedly, if an elevator passenger simultaneously presses the “door close” button and the button for the floor he is trying to reach, he can override the requests of other passengers and of people waiting for the elevator on other floors. The elevator shifts into express mode, racing directly to the floor of his choosing—becoming, in essence, a private lift

If she was near-sighted (I'm quite convinced of this based on the photos of the kind of glasses she wore), she would lean in the way that she does. However, if the elevator light was dim, or her body partially blocked it, the lower buttons might be hard for her to see when leaning down, even if her eyesight close up was fine. Maybe that's why she missed being able to read the Hold Door button?

I still think not. The elevator looked rather well lit. She could have angled her body or moved her head aside if her body were blocking the light. It would be a natural thing to do. It would be an unconscious action even to do that. But it is possible of course.

I am with you probably that I find it the most perplexing part of the video. I've gone round and round trying to think why she pushed them as she did and also have not settled on anything that just really clicks into place.

This is what makes sense to me as well (what you wrote). I had an amazing, amazing optometrist. He told me that for my particular eyes, I should never get laser surgery on them. Just for me. One of the few doctors I have ever trusted so I will follow his advice. Sorry, that is probably off topic. Sorry everybody.

I mentioned this a few days ago, but I'm leaning (ok, no pun intended again) towards nearsightedness if indeed EL didn't have her contacts on (I'm not saying she didn't have contacts on.) The distance the first time between her eyes and the buttons are roughly book distance. As a former nearsighted person needing glasses/contacts (with about -4.75 or something), I know how quick things can get blurry after a few inches or foot/feet. Anyway, LASIK is a great thing.

A far sighted person (not speaking from experience) would have difficulty focusing on near objects. If EL were farsighted, she would probably be more inclined to stand back from the buttons, rather than lean towards them.

Anyway, I think we're talking about the same thing. :)
Near sighted = can only see "near" objects clearly (depending on severity of nearsightedness)
Far sighted = can only see "far" objects clearly (depending on severity of farsightedness)

I'm not an optometrist, but something that resembles farsightedness is presbyopia, which occurs around one's 40's or 50's. That's losing the ability to focus, and since we see far when are eyes are relaxed, that leaves us seeing ok far (assuming we weren't nearsighted/myopic to begin with), we need reading glasses (for books, etc.) Some of us unfortunately end up needing bifocals to help us see far (from myopia) and near (from presbyopia.)

This might shed a little light.

Like your idea about her reasons in that she may have had some little theory about elevator operation in her head that she was testing out or that she got as advice from somebody. If it is something like that, we'll never figure it out.

Thank you so very much. I love you guys.

I have astigmatism. It really isn't any big deal at all. It just basically means that my vision is slightly better if I wear hard contacts than soft because the contacts shape my eye ball that way and give me crisper vision. But I still do fine with the soft contacts when I want to use them instead.

It also makes me a worse candidate for laser surgery but still doable.

It would have no effect whatsoever on her reading the elevator buttons really.

Anyway, that is the idea I get from my contact lens doctor who has always explained my eyes to me in great detail. He is very old, very flirty (but not grabby so I don't mind), very nice, and very, very good at his job. He fixed the problems I was having with my old contacts and explained how the previous doctor was screwing up my contacts. He's an awesome doctor. Thanks Dr. F.!!!!!!!!!

Me, too. Maybe she is a ditz like me and got a wire crossed in her brain. I do that sometimes and will do the absolute weirdest things.

Thanks Bessie! I have heard about this trick, and I suppose it's possible that she pushed the "door hold" button in error instead of the "door close" button. However, this is meant to take you to your floor uninterrupted. Why push the other buttons? I wonder if the trick would still work in doing so.
I know. That's why I said it would shed a "little" light. :) I'm still reading, and hope to have links to post later that will zero in on the particular set of circumstances in EL's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member