The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kabul Airport Explosion Kills Four U.S. Marines Amid Evacuations
''The U.S. ambassador in Kabul has told staff there that four U.S. Marines were killed in an explosion at the city’s airport and three wounded, a U.S. official with knowledge of the briefing said. Two explosions ripped through crowds of Afghans trying to enter the airport on Thursday.

At least three U.S. troops were injured, a U.S. official said. Witnesses reported multiple fatalities among the Afghans, many of whom were trying to enter the airport because they had assisted U.S.-led coalition efforts and feared persecution by the Taliban.

Western governments have repeatedly warned of an imminent attack by Islamic State and urged their citizens not to approach the airport. After the blasts, the U.S. Embassy told all Americans to leave the entrances to the airport immediately.''

So this video confirms that the Baron hotel that was bombed was used to stage the evacuation of citizens of western countries. Can't wait to hear about the number of civilian casualties from there. wtg grrrr
rbbm.
Kids and four marines among 13 killed after 'ISIS' suicide bombers hit airport
''A US official confirmed the first blast was caused by a suicide bomb, with initial reports suggesting the second explosion was a car bomb.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said one explosion occurred near buses lined up outside Abbey Gate and the other close to the nearby Baron Hotel.

A source told Fox News that the attacks in Kabul may be an "ongoing event" - with more violence to come.

One of the bombers reportedly hit people standing in a wastewater canal - sending bodies flying into the water.''

'Suicide bomb' kills 13 at Kabul airport as TWO explosions and gunfire rip through crowds | Daily Mail Online

Four US marines among 40 dead in 'ISIS suicide bomb' attack at Kabul airport: Gates to airfield are 'sealed off' as NATO countries start to pull the plug on evacuations - but PM insists UK flights WILL continue
  • A huge explosion has rocked the Abbey gate of the airport while another hit the nearby Barons Hotel
  • Initial reports say at least 13 people were killed including children and Afghans who were near the airport
  • However the Taliban, who condemned the 'evil' attacks, say as many as 40 people have died in the blasts
  • It is being reported four US Marines have been killed in blasts, which come after US warned of terror threat
  • The attack could spell the end of the evacuations process with Germany already pulling out of Afghanistan
  • Armed forces minister James Heappey said earlier there was intelligence of a 'severe' attack from ISIS-K
  • The ISIS splinter group is a sworn enemy of the Taliban and officials said they want to cause mayhem

Up til now I haven't commented on this thread, and have read just about half of it. The situation has been so fluid and awful, and at WS we can't talk politics, but how can it be avoided here?

But now...four U.S. Marines being killed and 3 wounded....it's unbearable.

I am one who felt that 20 years, trillions of dollars and US military lost was enough, and we should withdraw our troops. BUT NOT LIKE THIS!
IMO we should have first evacuated any and all U.S. Citizens quietly, then the Afghanis who GENUINELY were on the side of the Americans, and THEN withdrawn the troops.

We now have the worst-case scenario. When the TALIBAN is decrying the bombing as evil, we are in a different place. Uncharted waters. IMO this was botched so terribly; we have Americans killed, Americans trapped, innocent Afghanis trapped, terrorists who boarded the planes under false pretenses intending on future harm in the West, and a country left to be bedeviled by one or another evil regime. I mean the Taliban released 5000 terrorists from prison; it's not like they have noble intentions.

Our U.S. Government negotiating with the Taliban and doing as the Taliban say... How did we get here? Then ISIS-K committing this atrocity today. How was it so bungled?

Thanks to an earlier poster who found the instructions from the U.S. Embassy forewarning Americans to LEAVE months ago. Who can imagine why they stayed? No one would have had to tell me twice.

I'm a native New Yorker and I am dreading a repeat of a 9/11 level attack again.

Up til now I haven't commented on this thread, and have read just about half of it. The situation has been so fluid and awful, and at WS we can't talk politics, but how can it be avoided here?

But now...four U.S. Marines being killed and 3 wounded....it's unbearable.

I am one who felt that 20 years, trillions of dollars and US military lost was enough, and we should withdraw our troops. BUT NOT LIKE THIS!
IMO we should have first evacuated any and all U.S. Citizens quietly, then the Afghanis who GENUINELY were on the side of the Americans, and THEN withdrawn the troops.

We now have the worst-case scenario. When the TALIBAN is decrying the bombing as evil, we are in a different place. Uncharted waters. IMO this was botched so terribly; we have Americans killed, Americans trapped, innocent Afghanis trapped, terrorists who boarded the planes under false pretenses intending on future harm in the West, and a country left to be bedeviled by one or another evil regime. I mean the Taliban released 5000 terrorists from prison; it's not like they have noble intentions.

Our U.S. Government negotiating with the Taliban and doing as the Taliban say... How did we get here? Then ISIS-K committing this atrocity today. How was it so bungled?

Thanks to an earlier poster who found the instructions from the U.S. Embassy forewarning Americans to LEAVE months ago. Who can imagine why they stayed? No one would have had to tell me twice.

I'm a native New Yorker and I am dreading a repeat of a 9/11 level attack again.
Death toll now includes 10 Marines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member