The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was he talking about when he said many people came home from Iraq with aggressive cancers of the brain? Is that true?
Not sure if this is OT, but brain cancer specifically is an inaccurate statement by the President: Biden Exaggerates Science on Burn Pits and Brain Cancer - FactCheck.org ETA - however, the lack of a link may be due to limited data.

Burn pits and their contributions to a range of cancers and respiratory diseases in general are a major concern for the health and safety of our military personnel, and the issue has been getting increased attention. Veterans face uphill battle to receive treatment for ‘burn pit’ exposure

Last edited:
The taliban released over 5000 prisoners from jail after Bagram airbase was deserted and as they marched toward Kabul. They let them go to walk amongst them/us....knowing that many if not most were ISIS. And, our military leaders were aware of this, and they still trusted the taliban with American names and Intel? Nope. Not buying it.

The taliban released over 5000 prisoners from jail after Bagram airbase was deserted and as they marched toward Kabul. They let them go to walk amongst them/us....knowing that many if not most were ISIS. And, our military leaders were aware of this, and they still trusted the taliban with American names and Intel? Nope. Not buying it.

The big conclusion I've reached is that US intelligence failed miserably on all of this. What's up with that? We've been in Afghanistan going on 20 years now, that's a very long time. Our intelligence agencies should have plenty of sources for information by now.

With everything winding down now, did some people just slack off on their jobs or did the most qualified folks leave already?

Major failure of both US intelligence and troops on the ground for not maintaining a safe perimeter and knowing what was up.

This is what I don’t get. Why did they stay there if they wanted to leave before this happened. Were they in denial it would happen so quickly? Perhaps they had put more faith in this administration than I do.
Or.........were they told it would not happen so quickly? Biden claimed that it would not happen so quickly, maybe they thoughtlessly, believed him FGS.

I'm not sure where I read or heard - but when we pulled out of Bagram, documents were left behind - which listed names of people on the payroll/who worked for the US. I'm pretty sure that is why the Taliban is knocking on doors and tracking them down.

Blackwater rescued Biden from Taliban in 2008 as founder criticized for $6,500 evacuation flights | Daily Mail Online

"The founder of controversial private military contractor Blackwater, who sparked a furious reaction on Wednesday with his $6,500 evacuation flights from Kabul, has told how his men helped to rescue Joe Biden from Afghanistan in 2008 when his helicopter made an emergency landing.

Erik Prince, 52, was described on Wednesday by White House press secretary Jen Psaki as having no soul, and of profiting from 'people's agony and pain'.

Yet Prince, who founded Blackwater in 1997, reminded that Tucker Carlson his team rescued Biden himself.

Biden was the chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee at the time of the February 2008 rescue, and was plucked to safety alongside John Kerry, then a senator for Massachusetts; and Chuck Hagel, then a senator for Nebraska, from the country.

Kerry went on to become Barack Obama's secretary of state, while Biden was vice president and Hagel was defense secretary."

"They were on a congressional visit to Afghanistan in the winter and the U.S. Army helicopter got lost in a snowstorm and sat down in Taliban territory on the side of a mountain,' Prince told Carlson.

'U.S. military launched a ground convoy to get them and they got lost.

'And the Blackwater guys launched and we did not get lost and we rescued them from Taliban territory. That was the winter of '08."
How soon the rescued forget.

The big conclusion I've reached is that US intelligence failed miserably on all of this. What's up with that? We've been in Afghanistan going on 20 years now, that's a very long time. Our intelligence agencies should have plenty of sources for information by now.

With everything winding down now, did some people just slack off on their jobs or did the most qualified folks leave already?

Major failure of both US intelligence and troops on the ground for not maintaining a safe perimeter and knowing what was up.
I'll respectfully disagree with your assessment of failure on the troops on the ground. They could not maintain a safe perimeter, nor were they given orders to do that. MOO

I watched the POTUS give his speech live.
I just went to Youtube to rewatch it, under the U.S. Department of State

At 1:04:48 in the video
The POTUS stated after his speech, and just before taking 'questions' that ...." Ladies and Gentleman, they gave me a list here... The person I was instructed to call on is Kelly Odonnell from NBC".

I might ask, who instructed the President?
And who gave him a list? And, why was a pre-selected list approved during this time? Who approves or disproves the questions? Who is in charge?

President Biden says he was 'instructed' to call on reporters from list at presser following Kabul attacks

President Biden says he was 'instructed' to call on reporters from list at presser following Kabul attacks

Isis affiliate is prime suspect for Kabul airport suicide bombing
Jason Burke
Thu 26 Aug 2021 16.30 BST rbbm.
Analysis: Group known as Islamic State Khorasan Province, or Isis-K, poses ‘acute’ and ‘persistent’ threat, says US
1500.jpg

Smoke rising near the blast site at Kabul airport. Photograph: Xinhua/Rex/Shutterstock
''Many have been worried by an intensification of attacks linked to Isis-K in recent months.''

“The trajectory of ISKP has been one of resurgence after a tough time in 2019 and the first half of 2020 … but they went silent suddenly since the Taliban takeover and a possible reason for that was the group were gearing up for a new campaign,” said Charlie Winter, a senior research fellow at London University’s Centre for the Study of Radicalisation.''

The crowds, planes and infrastructure at the airport provide an obvious venue for the kind of mass-casualty attack that Isis has become known for. But Winter said, the situation was also, for the group, a “perfect meeting of diverse targets” in Afghanistan: the US military, Afghans who have helped the western effort and are therefore seen as collaborators and the Taliban, which Isis-K sees as “apostates”.
Isis-K is likely to see an attack against the airport as a “great victory”.
  • “They achieve several things: they hit legitimate targets (from their perspective), they send a signal of still being a force to be reckoned with and they challenge the Taliban’s state project by highlighting that the group can’t secure Kabul.”
THAT is exactly why Americans and Afghanistan citizens who were helping Americans should have been evacuated long before our military were removed. Taliban should have never been allowed to move on the cities of Afghanistan. Period.

THAT is exactly why Americans and Afghanistan citizens who were helping Americans should have been evacuated long before our military were removed. Taliban should have never been allowed to move on the cities of Afghanistan. Period.
You are right. The previous administration never should have made a deal that legitimized them as the leadership when we left, and they never should have released the 5,000 prisoners that are now in charge. They had every reason to hang out and pounce at the right time - because they were legitimized, and are now complimented as great fighters and negotiators at rallies by the guy who made the deal.

You are right. The previous administration never should have made a deal that legitimized them as the leadership when we left, and they never should have released the 5,000 prisoners that are now in charge. They had every reason to hang out and pounce at the right time - because they were legitimized, and are now complimented as great fighters and negotiators at rallies by the guy who made the deal.

Thank You and agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member