The Grand Jury & Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know when the trial should be beginning?

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

Oddly enough, I just read yesterday in Twitter that he was scheduled for "sentencing" - was there a plea bargain?

Lou Young @LouYoungNY
Father in Hot Car Toddler Death will be sentenced today in CT. Crim Neg Homicide. CBS 2 News
10:08am - 9 Apr 15

Oddly enough, I just read yesterday in Twitter that he was scheduled for "sentencing" - was there a plea bargain?

Lou Young @LouYoungNY
Father in Hot Car Toddler Death w6ill be sentenced today in CT. Crim Neg Homicide. CBS 2 News

10:08am - 9 Apr 15

That's a different case in CT. This case is in GA. I'm sure there's probably a separate thread for that one. I didn't follow that case but it seems they are pretty clear it was an accident, and they are not sentencing him to prison.

Very anxious to see how much media coverage the trial gets. I will have a billion and one thoughts on it. Oh wait, I already do! Will it be like Arias, Anthony, and Zimmerman where it is televised nationally everyday? Or will it be like Hernandez and Boston Bomber where cameras are not allowed in the courtroom, but the national media still gives daily updates? Or maybe it will be like one of the hundreds or thousands of trials a year that don’t get much attention outside of their local area? If so, it would have to be one of the most hyped cases ever. I keep thinking about how the case dropped out of the media within about 2 weeks, but how long did the media seriously think they were going to report on a case where the child was never missing and the killer was behind bars? So did they realize it is inevitable that there would soon be nothing to report and planned to bring it back for the trial, or did they think it would be one of those rare cases where they get months of coverage out of it? I guess it’s a question of whether they still consider it a “national” case or whether it’s just one of thousands of “local” cases.

I feel like there are enough sordid details to keep in national if they made any real effort to do so. But, you never really know which cases will grab the public's attention for any length of time, do you?

I feel like you could make the argument that a case has enough sensational details to be a high-profile trial for many cases. Look at the Heather Elvis case, for example. That case has more sensational details than the Harris case. It also has an attractive / cute (in Cooper's case) victim and unattractive perp(s). Heather’s case is seen as more of a mystery, especially regarding how much evidence the prosecution has and what exactly happened, whereas the Harris case is seen as more open and shut. The hearings in the Harris case do not get that much more national media coverage than the hearings in the Moorer case. Then online discussion for Heather’s case has been active since she went missing, wheras discussion of Cooper’s case slowed down significantly around August. Yet no one thinks the Moorer trial is going to be heavily covered by the national media, yet I still see those predictions for the Harris trial. I think it all goes back to how much coverage the Harris case got in July, especially the whole bond hearing being covered live by the national media; people saw this case as not being your "ordinary" high-profile case.

I feel like it's unususal for there to be such a gap in possibilty of media coverage for a trial. I think for most of them, we have a pretty good idea before it starts.

Good grief! Fall of 2015? I will not forget. JMO

Marking my spot. So much has happened sense and I don't want to miss this trial ! Tks all for keeping these threads going.

It sure has taken a long time for this to come to trial - harder still to remember it was a year ago a precious boy passed away due to the gross behavior of his father.

Sure wish the trial was this month or anytime during the summer to remind the jurors how hot it was for CH.

It sure has taken a long time for this to come to trial - harder still to remember it was a year ago a precious boy passed away due to the gross behavior of his father.

Sure wish the trial was this month or anytime during the summer to remind the jurors how hot it was for CH.

I'm sure JRH's lawyers are doing everything they can for a winter trial for precisely that reason.

I wonder if prosecution feels the same..do they want the trial in the summer? If so, are we just going to see constant delays from each side? the judge should just set it during a month where the weather could go either way...I'm only partially kidding

I wonder if prosecution feels the same..do they want the trial in the summer? If so, are we just going to see constant delays from each side? the judge should just set it during a month where the weather could go either way...I'm only partially kidding

you may be on to something there!!

an extra year would have JH biting his nails.....

I assume they have to have valid reasons to delay, so it can't go on continuously. In the end, it will probably be better if it isn't held in summer, because that would probably lead to an immediate appeal for some type of influencing the jury or something...sigh...

I assume they have to have valid reasons to delay, so it can't go on continuously. In the end, it will probably be better if it isn't held in summer, because that would probably lead to an immediate appeal for some type of influencing the jury or something...sigh...

I feel like it would only lead to an appeal if the defense could prove that the jury only voted guilty because they experienced what it was like to be in a hot car every day during the trial. I would think that in Georgia, most of the year, you need to put the AC on or roll down the windows when you get in your car. Jurors are suppose to put away their personal feelings during the trial, and only focus on the facts and evidence presented, so unless the defense can prove they didn't do so, I don't see an appeal being successful. I wouldn't be surprised if during jury selection, the jury is asked if they will be influenced by how hot their car feels (assuming it takes place during the hot months).

Marking my spot. So much has happened sense and I don't want to miss this trial ! Tks all for keeping these threads going.

ETA , I'm unable to edit this post but I just want you all to know,,,,,, I meant to type since there. Rookie mistake. I'm ashamed. tks

Tomorrow (June 18) marks one year since Cooper died. :rose:

Pre-trial hearings are expected to take place in the fall, and the trial possibly in early 2016, according to Cobb District Attorney Vic Reynolds.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-...nniversary-of-cobb-toddler-death-looms/nmc7z/

I joined Dreamin' Demon the day I read about Cooper. I would have joined here but wasn't sure about the more rigorous activation. So I joined a few months ago.

Some cases really bring you out of the woodwork.

111314-cooper-harris.jpg

:rose: awaiting justice in your name cooper :heartbeat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members