The Grim Sleeper. Update: Arrest in the Grim Sleeper Case!

Discussion in 'Grim Sleeper' started by elliottness, Feb 26, 2009.

1. elliottness

elliottness New Member

Is anyone familiar with "The Grim Sleeper" case out in California? Suspect is unknown black male who allegedly has attacked 12 victims, 11 murdered with 1 survivor. Attacks all took place in the Los Angeles area from 1988-2002. This case needs to be spotlighted and I'm hoping that this discussion forum will help spotlight it and we can help the victims and their families.

Tricia jumping in herelliottness,

An arrest has been made. Here is one link.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38133825/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Discussion of the arrest takes place on page three of this thread.

2. Loading...

3. Debbie Miller

Debbie Miller New Member

4. kline

kline New Member

Wow. I have never heard of this case.
    This guy needs to be stopped.

5. Bargle

Bargle Member

I thought we had a thread on this already? I did a search, so maybe not. Puzzling case anyway.

6. gaia227

gaia227 I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an

I have heard of this guy before! I think there was an article I read in the LA Times which was basically railing against the police for not going public when he started killing again to warn the public. I look forward to reading this article in its entirety.

He stopped killing for 13 years. There has to be a reason for that. My first guess would be that he was in prison which means his fingerprints and possibly DNA are on file.

7. thefragile7393

thefragile7393 Chronically sleep deprived

By any chance is it possible that it's a copycat?
    ETA, no, dosn't look like it, since they have DNA linking him. Wow.
    Then again, there's some victims that don't have his DNA it looks like. Maybe some are attributed to him that aren't actually his victims.

8. DBinMA

DBinMA Member

I believe there are either DNA or Ballistics matches for nearly all victims.

9. elliottness

elliottness New Member

We have got to help these victims. I am very frustrated that this story has not been profiled on the news. I have a feeling that if these victims were white and in a middle-class or upper-class part of California that Nancy Grace and Greta Van Susteren would be profiling them every night. And I say this as a white person, but it really angers me how the white victims are spotlighted even when there is no news in the case yet the minority victims barely get any press.

These women were victims of this monster and we have to help them. There must be something we can all do and that's what I'm trying to do.

10. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Staff Member Moderator

Police hunt 'Grim Sleeper' serial killer
    (CNN) -- Los Angeles police are searching for a serial killer dubbed the "Grim Sleeper," who is thought to have killed 11 people.

Full article: click here

11. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Staff Member Moderator

12. Ruflossn

Ruflossn "Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn."

I am very familiar w/ this case. I have studied it for quite awhile. There are so many bizarre and strange facts that I can not believe this monster is still on the loose. The most recent info that I have seen on this case is that a 911 call was recently released to the public. I hope this will garner new info.

13. laini

laini cemetery walker

Are you thinking of the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker? That is who I originally thought they were talking about. http://www.ear-ons.com/index2.html

REgarding the GrimSleeper, it think it is alarming the chruch connections. Wonder if this is another Dennis Rader who was a church member/leader.

This a.m. I was half asleep during the morning news shows. I vaguely remember them saying something about some other murders being tied to a serial killer including someone Asthon Kurcher dated. Did anybody else see that? Was it the GrimSleeper they were talking about? (I will search when I have more time)

14. Bargle

Bargle Member

No, I was definitely thinking of the Grim Reaper. Must have been on one of the other boards I frequent. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

15. Otise

Otise New Member

I agree! All these poor people need more voices to speak up for them!

16. fran

fran Former Member

They are linking the murder of a former g/f of Ashton Kurcher to a murder in another state, Chicago? Ok, here's an old article. Yes, there are two girls in California and one in Chicago in '93 (he lived there then). Of course, this morning his lawyer denied all charges but the police say there's enough evidence.

JMHO
    fran

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-murder-of-Ashton-Kutchers-ex-girlfriend.html

17. elliottness

elliottness New Member

Grim Sleeper begins his killings in 1985 and continues for the next 3 years until suddenly he stops in 1988...why? I'm guessing that he gets arrested in 1988 and doesn't get out of jail until 2001 or 2002. What happens? The killings start again and in the same area.

Call me crazy, but I believe this guy is still in the Los Angeles area. He's got a pattern. Most of the murders take place near churches and most of the victims wind up being found in alleyways. Many of the victims are prostitutes.

Is there a way to get a list of recent parolees for the years 2001-2002?

18. Ruflossn

19. shadowraiths

Since they have run his DNA against the state's criminal data bank, with no results, my guess is that he may have been institutionalized as opposed to being in the criminal justice system during those years. Or... he may not have been involved in any sort of psychiatric care. Rather, involved in a relationship that reduced his desire to kill. You know, similar to Dennis Rader and Gary Ridgeway?

20. Ruflossn

I immediately thought of BTK when I first studied this case.
    I also wonder if there was anyway this perp. could have been in the military.
    In the military, DNA samples are taken from all 'soldiers', however, the DNA is not tested nor entered into a data base until a reason is indicated. (At least when I took a continuing education class in Oct. 2008 that is what was taught to us).

The things that I have a hard time grasping are:
    -the van that was identified by a witness. The vans engine was still warm when LE arrived. How many people had access to keys for that van? There is a HUGE clue attached to the van. Did LE search for prints? DNA? Did they find anything?

-the only surviving victim reports the killer took her picture. At that time, there were no digital cameras, no computers that would print your pics etc.... I wonder if he used a Polaroid camera or did he have the pics developed? Could he have worked in a photo lab and developed the pics himself?

-the orange Pinto. Don't all cars that are tagged / registered have a description? Could records of all orange Pintos not have been reviewed?

These are just a few of the questions I have about this case. I have followed this for a long time. It is a perplexing saga.

21. shadowraiths

Thanks for the links, Ruflossn. I agree with the talking heads. I think van zandt referred to him as an "avenging angel," though I would proffer this guy is a cause killer with unresolved issues regarding sex for sale and most likely someone who is inclined to engage their services while at the same time blaming them for his unspoken desires. Hence, his comment, "'That is what is wrong with you black women. You think you are all that.'"