The HW or WH belt evidence at gilgonews

Discussion in 'Long Island Serial Killer' started by Theforeigner, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Ironbutterfly8

Ironbutterfly8 Active Member

I just looked up "embossed" and it does indeed describe a few different methods of marking, stamping being one of them. I learned something here as I always thought embossed meant embroidered or engraved (which it does) but stamping something (which I think is the case with the HM/WH) is also part of embossing, who woulda knew? :)

Trinitee likes this.

2. DetectiveB

DetectiveB Active Member

Yeah, I was curious too, I didn't know either.

It seems that if the belt was approx 1.5" wide and the initials were 1/2," then possibly the belt was used or carved w a dremel. The size of the initials is quite small, smaller than a dime. This may explain the "unprofessional" or "homemade" look. A dremel could be one of the tools used in order to carve and get that small size.

3. Ironbutterfly8

Thank you for your reply. I think a dremel would leave more of a digging mark, the lettering looks more (to me) as a stamp (IMHO of course) .

3Patriots, DetectiveB and Fabra like this.
  4. Fabra

Fabra Member

Attached Files:

5. Sleuth_Noob

Sleuth_Noob New Member

I apologize if this question has been answered already: Does SCPD actually have this belt in their possession? Is it possible that the belt, which
    SCPD Commissioner Geraldine Hart describes as being recovered at the scene where one of the bodies was found, and also believed to have been handled (not necessarily owned) by the killer, is no longer in their possession?

The release of this information and images, related to the appeal to the public in helping to identify it, is perplexing...

If the belt is in their possession, why not produce it then? Especially if appealing to the public to help in identifying it, and/or its owner?

Kittybunny likes this.
  6. Ironbutterfly8

Exactly! I think that's the million dollar question. Frustrating!

7. Sleuth_Noob

Sleuth_Noob New Member

Just to expand a little further, if the appeal to the public in helping to possibly identify the belt is genuine, why only release two images that only illustrate a fraction of the entire the entire piece of evidence? To make an analogy, if the piece of evidence were a glove instead of a belt, it would be the equivalent of releasing images of only the thumb and forefinger...why not show the entire glove w. details of color, size, possible production date period, material, size and every other detail that would aid in identifying?