The Innocence Project and Darlie Routier

It's still not clear that the Innocence Project as an organization has taken on the case. From what I've found two lawyers who work with the IP - Vanessa Potkin and Bryce Benjet are consulting on Darlie's appeal. I linked the articles upthread. The only post on the IP website referencing Darlie is one from July 2018 promoting The Last Defense show.

The author of a book on Darlie announced on May 8 that the New York Innocence Project "has joined forces with Routier’s appellate team: Steve Cooper and Richard Smith of Dallas and Richard Burr of Houston."
It remains to be seen whether those recent issues and the “reports to review” referenced by Cooper involve the DNA testing that has been ongoing since 2008, though Cooper has said there is little chance of a meaningful finding in that regard. Any DNA found from an unknown person must be proven to be connected to the crime.
She also said:
The signed partnership with the Innocence Project means that Routier’s defense efforts have doubled and there is now financial backing for those efforts. The appellate team lawyers, who have worked pro bono on the case for years, have struggled to raise the money needed for all of the DNA testing they won the right to do.
Old Case, New Developments
While the author of the article says there's a "signed partnership" I haven't been able to find any other source confirming this.

Again, to be clear, if DNA testing shows there was an unknown intruder in the Routier house that night then I will fully support the fight to either exonerate Darlie or at least grant her a new trial. I personally believe she did murder her children but I'm open to new evidence.

Following cases here about the unspeakable things parents and caretakers do to children IMO makes me think Darlie's case just one in many. IOW, if her case came up today it really wouldn't stand out as a possible wrong conviction. Just my opinion.

What specifically causes you to not trust the investigation in this case?
its not this case its my own experience as follows:
My friend a pharmacists son that lived in Rowlette and had a incident with them, his mom worked for the ATF and we had several conversations about the detective that was "helping" them, she finally had to pull some strings with her government contacts it was absurd the husband was a pharmacist and his pharmacy was robbed and the detective and partner focused on my friend the Son because he was home from college but he was with us (a group of friends) and we were actually on the road to Houston from Arlington where we were all staying , we had food receipts , gas receipts many witnesses and he was a star student athlete @ U of A when it happened, and by the time Rowlette got thru with him he came close to losing his scholarship Frank Broyles who was not even coaching at that point had to help , I mean they took us thru it it was very scary, and this poor friend of mine was treated like dirt as were we , this happened in 94 before Darlie , my friend was even terrified to visit his parents house ( which was very close to Darlie's) he passed away in a auto accident after graduating from college and worked for a successful engineering firm in Carrolton but always had bad feelings toward the LE in Rowlette and on top of that I don't think it was ever solved , but NOTHING pointed to him EVER! and I can tell you he was interviewed probably 10 times (or harassed ) Any way it was the general tone of everyone we all spoke with , his moms contacts with the ATF who told them to back off were his only saving grace , I can't imagine if she had no help ,we all felt the same way and we ALL still avoid the area if possible , it is a good ole boy network there IMO and every action showed it , that's my experience with LE there .

its not this case its my own experience as follows:
My friend a pharmacists son that lived in Rowlette and had a incident with them, his mom worked for the ATF and we had several conversations about the detective that was "helping" them, she finally had to pull some strings with her government contacts it was absurd the husband was a pharmacist and his pharmacy was robbed and the detective and partner focused on my friend the Son because he was home from college but he was with us (a group of friends) and we were actually on the road to Houston from Arlington where we were all staying , we had food receipts , gas receipts many witnesses and he was a star student athlete @ U of A when it happened, and by the time Rowlette got thru with him he came close to losing his scholarship Frank Broyles who was not even coaching at that point had to help , I mean they took us thru it it was very scary, and this poor friend of mine was treated like dirt as were we , this happened in 94 before Darlie , my friend was even terrified to visit his parents house ( which was very close to Darlie's) he passed away in a auto accident after graduating from college and worked for a successful engineering firm in Carrolton but always had bad feelings toward the LE in Rowlette and on top of that I don't think it was ever solved , but NOTHING pointed to him EVER! and I can tell you he was interviewed probably 10 times (or harassed ) Any way it was the general tone of everyone we all spoke with , his moms contacts with the ATF who told them to back off were his only saving grace , I can't imagine if she had no help ,we all felt the same way and we ALL still avoid the area if possible , it is a good ole boy network there IMO and every action showed it , that's my experience with LE there .
Thanks for your reply. I have a similar story that involves a relative.

Years ago my 18 year old nephew was on his way to work at a grocery store driving on a dark country road. On the same road a Sacramento County sheriff deputy was also on his way to work driving in the opposite direction.

Also on this rural road with no shoulder was a 16 year old boy riding his bike wearing dark clothes and using no lights of any kind. The sheriff deputy hit the boy sending him to the ground in the roadway.

My nephew drives upon the scene of the accident and sees two cars stopped on the opposite side of the road and thinks they are having car problems. He continues driving, not seeing the boy who was hit by the deputy laying in the road and drives over him. The boy dies from his injuries.

The deputy didn't try to move the boy off the road or try to signal to my nephew that he was laying in the roadway and prevent him from being struck a second time.

My nephew wasn't just interviewed and harassed by the police, he was charged and tried for manslaughter for an obvious accident that was caused by the 16 year old's actions and the deputy's negligence.

The trial ended in a 11-1 not guilty mistrial and the Sacramento County DA decided to not retry the case. My nephew went on to graduate from UCLA and is now a successful businessman with a wonderful family.

I feel that my nephew was unjustly prosecuted by the DA's office perhaps to cover for the sheriff deputy's culpability in the death of the boy.

Does that mean I distrust the results of criminal prosecutions done the Sacramento County District Attorneys Office?

Not when the evidence of guilt is clear as it is in this case. I don't let personal feelings about what happened to my nephew cloud my judgement. I rely of the facts of a case, which includes circumstantial evidence, to come to my conclusion. JMO

Last edited:
Today at the gravesite service, I was told Vanessa Potkin and Bryce Benjet will be there. I’d spent this past year in a team free darlie group, advocating for Darlie Routier. I worked on the convoy, including making the 400 invitations sent out that took 2 months to assemble, address and ship. Once the invites were out, I was thanked by Darlie Kee but in the next breath she told me I should not attend the Convoy because I’d caused problems in a very small group of 4 chiefs - I mean women. I am so thankful now that I’ve gotten off that hamster wheel. Perhaps if Darlie Kee would give up her 15 minutes of fame, her daughter might actually be taken seriously. I wish nothing but the best for all of the people at the convoy and events today, but I can’t help but be bitter for being treated so poorly. Lesson learned. Just because you might believe someone wrongfully convicted, doesn’t make them or their family good people. Transparency is key, and so is honesty.

Thanks for your reply. I have a similar story that involves a relative.

Years ago my 18 year old nephew was on his way to work at a grocery store driving on a dark country road. On the same road a Sacramento County sheriff deputy was also on his way to work driving in the opposite direction.

Also on this rural road with no shoulder was a 16 year old boy riding his bike wearing dark clothes and using no lights of any kind. The sheriff deputy hit the boy sending him to the ground in the roadway.

My nephew drives upon the scene of the accident and sees two cars stopped on the opposite side of the road and thinks they are having car problems. He continues driving, not seeing the boy who was hit by the deputy laying in the road and drives over him. The boy dies from his injuries.

The deputy didn't try to move the boy off the road or try to signal to my nephew that he was laying in the roadway and prevent him from being struck a second time.

My nephew wasn't just interviewed and harassed by the police, he was charged and tried for manslaughter for an obvious accident that was caused by the 16 year old's actions and the deputy's negligence.

The trial ended in a 11-1 not guilty mistrial and the Sacramento County DA decided to not retry the case. My nephew went on to graduate from UCLA and is now a successful businessman with a wonderful family.

I feel that my nephew was unjustly prosecuted by the DA's office perhaps to cover for the sheriff deputy's culpability in the death of the boy.

Does that mean I distrust the results of criminal prosecutions done the Sacramento County District Attorneys Office?

Not when the evidence of guilt is clear as it is in this case. I don't let personal feelings about what happened to my nephew cloud my judgement. I rely of the facts of a case, which includes circumstantial evidence, to come to my conclusion. JMO

If it weren't the very same people , and so many questions about this case , even the Precious Angels Writer Barbara changed her mind about this , then coincidentally her son was shot by the LE in this area in his own house , and Darren Admitting to trying to set up insurance scam , I probably wouldn't wonder so much but there are just too many questions to put this woman to death IMO

Today at the gravesite service, I was told Vanessa Potkin and Bryce Benjet will be there. I’d spent this past year in a team free darlie group, advocating for Darlie Routier. I worked on the convoy, including making the 400 invitations sent out that took 2 months to assemble, address and ship. Once the invites were out, I was thanked by Darlie Kee but in the next breath she told me I should not attend the Convoy because I’d caused problems in a very small group of 4 chiefs - I mean women. I am so thankful now that I’ve gotten off that hamster wheel. Perhaps if Darlie Kee would give up her 15 minutes of fame, her daughter might actually be taken seriously. I wish nothing but the best for all of the people at the convoy and events today, but I can’t help but be bitter for being treated so poorly. Lesson learned. Just because you might believe someone wrongfully convicted, doesn’t make them or their family good people. Transparency is key, and so is honesty.

How awful and so rude of Kee.

That is very rude , very very Rude !

That's Darlie Kee all over. I've seen her do it to more folks then Nellie. And there isn't any letter confirming the IP has taken her case because Kee is lying about that. If she had such a letter it would be plastered all over the world.

Darin never set up any insurance scam, that was a scam on the appellate court to try and get Darlie a new trial. According to Kathy Cruz, all of them knew about this so called insurance scam prior to the murders yet none of them say anything? Darlie Kee knows but when her daughter is arrested she doesn't say anything? NO WAY, she would have had Darin to the cops in a heartbeat.

Another article claiming the Innocence Project has taken on Darlie's case but once again the information seems to be coming straight from Darlie's mother, Darlie Kee, not a rep from the IP. Kee also implied that new evidence that is favorable has come back but no specifics on what that evidence is.
For two decades, she has insisted that her daughter was wrongly convicted. The New York based Innocence Project is now looking into her case and both Kee and her daughter remain hopeful, she said.

“She’s getting evidence back that’s favorable for her, and again we knew that would happen, we just didn’t know it would take a lifetime,” Kee said.
Supporters Rally In Dallas In Defense Of Darlie Routier

I dunno, we keep hearing the same stuff over and over but not from reliable sources who can back up the claims. Wouldn't Darlie's lawyers be running to the press if something new has turned up?

I was one of the first to share this news on Facebook. The moment I heard, Chills ran down my arms. This innocent mother will finally get help. I have been extremely passionate about Darlie’s case for the last year. I’ve dug high and low and looked at every perspective. I truly believe she is innocent and want to do everything I can to help her.

Ohaelise, why do you think she is innocent? What is the one thing that stands out to you?

Another article claiming the Innocence Project has taken on Darlie's case but once again the information seems to be coming straight from Darlie's mother, Darlie Kee, not a rep from the IP. Kee also implied that new evidence that is favorable has come back but no specifics on what that evidence is.

Supporters Rally In Dallas In Defense Of Darlie Routier

I dunno, we keep hearing the same stuff over and over but not from reliable sources who can back up the claims. Wouldn't Darlie's lawyers be running to the press if something new has turned up?
Wouldn't the IP have her case listed on their website? To date, not a word, officially, they have accepted her case. Her case does not meet IP criteria. she's had all the DNA tests she can ask for and then some paid for by the State of Texas and she has appellate attorneys who have been working on her case since the beginning. Why would IP waste donors money on her? They are funded by donations. They'd be off my donor list for sure.

Exactly. Whether she did it or not, the prosecution was willing to do whatever it took to get a conviction. The detectives even plead the 5th because they didn't want to reveal that they hid evidence. I was furious after seeing how the whole thing was handled. The juror who basically said because she bought jewelry and had breast implants she was a terrible person who must of done it. Thats not how I would want to pin down my suspect to a crime. I was disgusted.
No, if you believe that’s why the detectives pled the fifth, you seriously need to go and read the trial transcripts. They did not plant evidence, nor did anyone ever claim that they did.

No, if you believe that’s why the detectives pled the fifth, you seriously need to go and read the trial transcripts. They did not plant evidence, nor did anyone ever claim that they did.
In fairness, it's a little complicated and I can understand why people get confused over why the detectives were pleading their 5th Amendment rights.

It was about LE placing a microphone in an urn at the grave site memorial service. Even though the recording actually showed a more solemn Darlie, she and her defense chose instead to attempt to discredit the detectives by alleging they had broken wiretapping laws by not obtaining a warrant. The judge had allowed it to be entered into evidence and the prosecution made no objection.

The District Court ultimately held that the taping was legal as there was no expectation of privacy at the cemetery. Darlie Kee and Darin appealed the District Court's ruling but the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit upheld it.
Darlie Kee; Darin Routier Plaintiffs - Appellants v. City of Rowlett Texas; Jimmy Ray Patterson; Chris Frosch; Greg Davis, Assistant District Attorney for Dallas County Defendants - Appellees, 247 F.3d 206 (5th Cir. 2001)
Toward the end of the defense’s case, Doug Mulder called Jim Patterson to the stand. Detectives Patterson and Frosch had authorized the placement of the microphone in the cemetery. Mulder accused Patterson of “committing a federal felony, a conspiracy, a plot” and told the detective he “was going to jail.” It was a last-ditch effort to save his case, because Mulder knew he was losing, and losing badly.
Patterson: If you’re saying that I violated some state or federal law, then I’m not going to answer until I have legal counsel.
Mulder: Well, I suspect you better get legal counsel then, because I’m suggesting to you that that is exactly what you did.
(Jimmy Patterson, Secs. 4172-4173, 4425, 4431)
Full transcript:
http://www.darlieroutierfactandfict...ads/2016/11/Detective-Jimmy-Patterson-2-D.pdf

So it was never about what detectives did on the night of the murder but rather about the defense accusing the detectives of breaking the law in order to make them look like bad cops. Ironically, the tape would have shown a softer side of Darlie that might have countered the silly string video but I guess the defense didn't think it would make enough of an impact so they tried a different tactic. My understanding is that there was nothing on it to show guilt or innocence.

What's always gotten me to lean toward innocence is the fact that her own wounds were fairly severe and her carotid artery was nearly cut if memory serves correctly.
Relative to the boys, her injuries were minor, bordering on superficial. Doctors characterized some of them as having hesitation marks. The wound to her neck, while serious, was still shallow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back