The JonBenet Ramsey Case in popular culture

Discussion in 'JonBenet Ramsey' started by jaejae, Apr 6, 2019.

1. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

One thing I think all posters on Websleuths agree on is the murder of JonBenet was a terrible act that deprived a vibrant young child who loved life of the chance to live hers and I think this is why people are so passionate about it here. When researching the case to me the case has almost crossed over into popular culture with conspiracy theories etc rather than remaining in the true crime genre.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  2. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Here is a video that I have found which sums up how some people think about the case. I personally do not find this funny at all yet it has thirty likes as of now:

Tadpole12 likes this.
  3. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Of course perhaps the case first crossed over into popular culture with those child beauty pageants which like most I thought were in very bad taste but at the bottom line this case is about the brutal murder of a six year old child.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  4. cherrymeg

cherrymeg Well-Known Member

That isn't funny at all. Jeez. I remember her face being in all the tabloids. My mom wouldn't buy them but my grandmother always did. Maybe I was clueless I didn't know anything about child beauty pageants until her murder. Now there are reality TV shows about them, but back then it didn't seem like common knowledge. Idk

Tadpole12 and jaejae like this.
  5. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Good post. I did not find it funny. It is interesting to study the way the JonBenet Ramsey case is portrayed in American society and culture but I do think most ordinary people care about her murder as she was a little girl that loved her short life to the full. She was glad to be alive and had that taken away from her. Like the majority I do not think those child beauty pageants look very good.

Tadpole12 and cherrymeg like this.
  6. claudianunes

claudianunes Well-Known Member

The only other case that even comes close to JonBenét's is Madeleine McCann's in terms of pop culture and public opinion. JonBenét was found in her own house, the whole situation is totally sketchy, a bunch of questions are still being asked to this very day. The fact that we don't know for sure what went down is what keep people talking.
    Not sure if y'all have seen this:
    [​IMG]

Tadpole12, cherrymeg and jaejae like this.
  7. cherrymeg

I was 11 I think when she died. I remember being surprised by how grown up she looked in pictures and videos of her competing in pageants. It was weird almost at times.

8. claudianunes

Were beauty pageants a big thing in Colorado in the 90's?

9. cherrymeg

That's a good question. Her mom was in pageants I think. I lived in PA i don't remember hearing about them until after she died. Especially not with the makeup, hair dye, manicures on 5 and 6 year olds. She younger than me and yet she carried herself like an adult on stage. Idk if that makes sense.

10. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

No I had not seen that interesting.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  11. cherrymeg

That's creepy right? It's not just me?

Denisedyann and Tadpole12 like this.
  12. Tadpole12

Tadpole12 Well-Known Member

Well. That's a real dark humor.

"Kate Quigley as JonBenet Ramsey at The Ted Bundy Roast"

jaejae likes this.
  13. claudianunes

Yep. Really creepy.

14. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

As I says thanks for the post this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of and had not seen the beauty set before. I agree the Madeleine McCann case is the only case that really gets close as such. I am from the UK and there have been many stories in the papers about it although strictly in crime terms I regard it as a Portuguese case. I still do not think this case is anything like the JonBenet with its impact on American Society. This case is actually bigger than whole Serial Killer cases still. The media for instance are much more interested in who killed JonBenet Ramsey than say a case like the I70 Killer.

15. cherrymeg

I think Jonbenet being found in her house on christmas along with the pageant lifestyle captured America's attention. She was this little girl made-up and dancing on stage with adult moves or poise. And a lot of people were shocked or upset seeing a 5 or 6 year old looking so grown up. It didn't hurt that she was pretty from a wealthy family, either.When her parents lawyered up people were very critical. I always thought it was one of them. That is awful but it also makes kids and parents feel safer. I noticed the dad seemed to be blaming the son in one show. It would be nice if she was given closure

Serial killers are like the monsters that hide in a human suit and anyone can be their prey. I've always been interested in what makes them tick and how to avoid them.

Denisedyann, Tadpole12 and jaejae like this.
  16. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Good post and I totally agree. My particular opinion is JonBenet was killed by a Serial Killer with a very sick sense of humour as seen in the Ransom Note and that her case is a case within a case perhaps in a much more twisted way there is a Play Within A Play in Hamlet.

Tadpole12 likes this.
  17. Tadpole12

Tadpole12 Well-Known Member

jaejae likes this.
  18. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Tadpole12 likes this.
  19. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

This may have been posted before but I would like to post it on this thread here is JonBenet depicted in South Park:

Tadpole12 likes this.
  20. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

This is part far fetched conspiracy theory but also Popular Culture as it involves Katy Perry. It is out there on the internet so I will stick up for my personal friend Katy Perry and say this is not her fault and in anywhere near as bad taste as a comedy act I posted earlier on this thread:)

VMAs 2017: Katy Perry slammed for JonBenet Ramsey joke | Daily Mail Online

Tadpole12 likes this.