The Most Hated Baby Names in America

Has any one mentioned Latrina or Saphyllis . . . I worked in an inner city hospital for a while & the names we entered into our database were checked & re-checked to make sure we were correct - LOL.

How about Briar or Nugent ??? Names of friends' kids down here in southern IL -- gotta laugh at Nugent (of course, named after Ted).

I named one son after this particular genius! :)

[video=youtube;QhJt3i3UKWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhJt3i3UKWk[/video]

We never shorten to Gary, NEVER.

My name was #1 according to the SSA for a very, very long time.

#1 from 1880 to 1946 when it drop to #2 for 6 years before going back to #1 from 1953 to 1961 where it finally gradually started to drop off slowly. It was in the top 50 till 2001, and in 2009 it finally broke into the hundreds.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

I hate all the 'den' and 'ton' names. Aiden, caden, dreyton/den, kaiden, jayden, hayden, peyton, etc.

I love "Enid" for a girl though. So pretty.

I'll admit it. I work in HR. If I can't pronounce your name on your resume and someone with the same qualifications has a phonetically proper name, they get the interview first.
That may sound harsh and unfair, but then you have 50 resumes with the same skill set and you can only interview 10, that's what inevitably happens.

My son's are Linden and Brennan, and my daughter is Charlotte.
And people think THOSE names are weird.

That sounds illegal, unfair, and downright wrong:(

Your post got a strong response. I'm sure you're not surprised.

But I wanted to thank you on behalf of all of us who are looking for work for the reminder that the simplest things may affect whether we are considered for a job.

Of course it's always a big guessing game. For someone else, an unusual name might stand out to an HR rep and be just the reason the applicant got an interview.

BBM
Most people don't change their name to get an interview. People can't help what they are named! I work in a neighborhood with at-risk youth, and many of them have names that are hard to pronounce- but I put my big girl panties on and learn them out of respect, and I repeat it over and over, until I get it right- I don't judge them on what their parents named them! I can't STAND knowing that some of my kids who are struggling to BE something, working hard for their scholarships, might STILL be tossed aside one day because there are a few people out there who have a different preference for names. I would never, ever hire an employee who wasn't professional enough to just learn a name. Sure, we can use the "it might not be fair, but it happens daily" or "it's not uncommon" excuse, but that doesn't make it right. Just because something is "common" doesn't make it right.

I recently got engaged I've honestly thought about what will happen when I change my last name, because it is a very ethnic sounding name. I wonder if I will get passed over for opportunities because of that now, because of someone's prejudice.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Meh....sounds like I wouldn't want to work there anyway! Probably just doing all us weirdos a favor. lol

My dh has a pretty odd name....well, for a white boy, anyway! lol I guess that's why he has his own business so he doesn't have to worry about the boss not liking his name. :)

BBM
Most people don't change their name to get an interview. People can't help what they are named! I work in a neighborhood with at-risk youth, and many of them have names that are hard to pronounce- but I put my big girl panties on and learn them out of respect, and I repeat it over and over, until I get it right- I don't judge them on what their parents named them! I can't STAND knowing that some of my kids who are struggling to BE something, working hard for their scholarships, might STILL be tossed aside one day because there are a few people out there who have a different preference for names. I would never, ever hire an employee who wasn't professional enough to just learn a name. Sure, we can use the "it might not be fair, but it happens daily" or "it's not uncommon" excuse, but that doesn't make it right. Just because something is "common" doesn't make it right.

I recently got engaged I've honestly thought about what will happen when I change my last name, because it is a very ethnic sounding name. I wonder if I will get passed over for opportunities because of that now, because of someone's prejudice.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't disagree with you, babycat. Personally, I love unusual names; my beloved niece and nephew were both given family names that I had never heard of before.

I was thanking MsRyber for her candor--and for the helpful reminder to job-hunters that success may depend on arbitrary factors. I wasn't judging the morality of her selection method.

I don't disagree with you, babycat. Personally, I love unusual names; my beloved niece and nephew were both given family names that I had never heard of before.

I was thanking MsRyber for her candor--and for the helpful reminder to job-hunters that success may depend on arbitrary factors. I wasn't judging the morality of her selection method.

Yes, I know, and I shouldn't have quoted your post, especially while I was upset. I really wasn't implying anything of the sort, and I'm very sorry if it seemed that I was- I truly didn't mean to make you feel that way. I just kind of went off on a tangent in general, because I know that there is a very real possibility that this might one day happen to the kids I work with, who struggle with so many obstacles already:( It seems so unfair to them that what their parents named them, even if it's not their taste, might stand in the way of all the hard work we have helped them to accomplish. We also highlight hard working youth through a national program- many have gained scholarships; they travel speaking publicly, telling their stories (many of which are heartbreaking, because they come from domestic violence, sexual abuse, extreme poverty) and have some have even met the President. National Honor Society members, leaders of school and social organizations, tutors, peer mentors. Some play the cello and violin. Most are very into art and photography. Some are excellent public speakers. Amazing, amazing kids- who might be tossed out because their name isn't part of the majority. Because their parents (who are often almost children, themselves, when they have these kids) gave them a name that might be off-putting to someone sitting in HR who deems it "odd".

It's just that I spend all day motivating these kids, and teaching them that where they come from, what they look like, what they HAVE doesn't matter- it's all about hard work and attitude- I guess I start to believe my own cheerleading, and I forget that some people will throw them aside automatically based on something so trivial.

It just feels like- yeah, let's give our kids one more thing to feel self conscious about. One more thing to work against them. Truth be told, about 90% of the kids I work with are some type of minority- and many, many of them have names that are phonetically difficult to pronounce. So I took it kind of personally.

But yes, I shouldn't have quoted you when I went off on my tangent, I truly didn't mean it to attack you, or even really as a response- it was just a jumping off point from that idea. So I apologize:)

Now I'm going to get off WS and take some time away. :) Thanks for being patient with me, and understanding.

Well....I wasn't going to weigh in on this topic because I really didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Then, I went grocery shopping yesterday and repeatedly wound up behind the same woman, who was continually yelling at her daughter, TIARA. Over and over and over again.

I immediately thought about the discussion here and decided I don't care for children to be named after objects.

Yes, I know, and I shouldn't have quoted your post, especially while I was upset....

No need to apologize, babycat. I didn't think you were attacking me, I just wanted to declare what side I am on. LOL.

My niece--who shares her first name with an endangered species of turtle--just started college. She doesn't have a single friend whose name I've ever even heard of (at least not the way it is spelled).

So I suspect that as you students grow older, "odd" names will be so common nobody in HR will even notice.

I like girls names that have something to do with nature:

Summer
Heather
Rose
Dawn
Jasmine
Lily
Autumn

BTW, I chose my screen name from the SONG 'Daisy Jane' by Seventies soft rock group America.

Every time I read something you posted on WS, I always wondered if your name was from that song. My best friend and I have loved America since their first LP back in 1971 and have seen them multiple times in concert. I love that song too. I'm glad to know that's how you chose your screen name!

FWIW my mom has said the same thing as the previous poster..

all things equal besides name (college degree, experience etc) the person's resume with the easily pronounced name is going in the keep pile over the the name that cannot be figured out. So it's not just one HR manager that feels this way.

FWIW my mom has said the same thing as the previous poster..

all things equal besides name (college degree, experience etc) the person's resume with the easily pronounced name is going in the keep pile over the the name that cannot be figured out. So it's not just one HR manager that feels this way.

Then I hate that she might be missing out on some amazing applicants that happen to be born on foreign soil, or share hybrid of a name of two grandparents to honor a legacy, or one of my students, who busted their tails to receive an academic scholarship and break the cycle of poverty while someone else's parent might have funded their way through college while they partied. You just never know what you might be getting.

I guess I live in a happy bubble where I imagine that people are fairly judged and given a chance solely on their credentials and hard work, and not tossed aside because someone doesn't like their name. It's disheartening to read that this is a common occurrence, especially to read that people feel this way on a board like Websleuths. Would we have tossed aside Phylicia Barnes, or Caylee, or Adji Desir, or JonBenet, or Kyron because they don't have a name we see every day? I don't think so. We haven't. We know they are people, who deserve a shot, we have/had high hopes for them, their lives, their futures and want justice for that, and mourn for what they could have become. What they could have accomplished, what they could have achieved. We don't feel that they deserve less of a shot because of their names.

A name is a name. A PERSON is a behind that name.

But for every HR person who tosses aside a name they can't pronounce, or name that sounds foreign, hopefully there is a person out there who is telling them that their WORK matters, their EFFORT matters, their INTEGRITY matters, and that Tom or Bob or Janet or Lisa is NOT necessarily smarter, or harder working, or MORE DESERVING because their name is familiar.

I debated on having this discussion with my classes-and I am still debating on whether or not to do so. I know what they would say- I know what their faces would look like when I tell them people could toss them aside because of their name. They'd be incredulous, and probably naively deny it, like I have been. It's tough to realize that something like this could affect their chances of getting a job that they've dreamed of, and worked hard for.

It's a damn shame that something like this is still an issue in this day and age.

Well....I wasn't going to weigh in on this topic because I really didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Then, I went grocery shopping yesterday and repeatedly wound up behind the same woman, who was continually yelling at her daughter, TIARA. Over and over and over again.

I immediately thought about the discussion here and decided I don't care for children to be named after objects.

Hate to quote myself, but seeing how the topic has turned here, I'm curious to know what race everyone might think TIARA may have been???

Even worse are parents who name their kids after something they always wanted, like Mercedes, Harley, whatever.

Then I hate that she might be missing out on some amazing applicants that happen to be born on foreign soil, or share hybrid of a name of two grandparents to honor a legacy, or one of my students, who busted their tails to receive an academic scholarship and break the cycle of poverty while someone else's parent might have funded their way through college while they partied. You just never know what you might be getting.

I guess I live in a happy bubble where I imagine that people are fairly judged and given a chance solely on their credentials and hard work, and not tossed aside because someone doesn't like their name. It's disheartening to read that this is a common occurrence, especially to read that people feel this way on a board like Websleuths. Would we have tossed aside Phylicia Barnes, or Caylee, or Adji Desir, or JonBenet, or Kyron because they don't have a name we see every day? I don't think so. We haven't. We know they are people, who deserve a shot, we have/had high hopes for them, their lives, their futures and want justice for that, and mourn for what they could have become. What they could have accomplished, what they could have achieved. We don't feel that they deserve less of a shot because of their names.

A name is a name. A PERSON is a behind that name.

But for every HR person who tosses aside a name they can't pronounce, or name that sounds foreign, hopefully there is a person out there who is telling them that their WORK matters, their EFFORT matters, their INTEGRITY matters, and that Tom or Bob or Janet or Lisa is NOT necessarily smarter, or harder working, or MORE DESERVING because their name is familiar.

I debated on having this discussion with my classes-and I am still debating on whether or not to do so. I know what they would say- I know what their faces would look like when I tell them people could toss them aside because of their name. They'd be incredulous, and probably naively deny it, like I have been. It's tough to realize that something like this could affect their chances of getting a job that they've dreamed of, and worked hard for.

It's a damn shame that something like this is still an issue in this day and age.

Have you ever received 200 resumes for a single position?

My niece's name is Tiara. She is 18 years old and when her mother named her I had never heard of a child with that name. Over the years I have learned of several other Tiara's -- another example of the trend.

While I think it is a bit presumptuous to name a child after a symbol of royalty, I think Tiara makes a pretty name.

PS. MY Tiara is Caucasian

Even though this was a "hate-thread", I must say it turned out as a feel-good thread.

So many interesting and funny stories!

My husband has a distant cousin named Gloria. His parents longed for a girl and had named the "belly", so when he was born it was Gloria.

He didn't like it when he was in school, but now he doesn't mind.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back