The Neighbors Yard

Discussion in 'Jaycee Lee Dugard' started by Bibliophile, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Billylee

Billylee New Member

Just to mention it looks like the fence line drawing is a little off. Note the blue tarp on the lower right extending a little below the white line? Anyway, I'll catch ya'll tomorrow.... happy sleuthing!

2. my2sisters

my2sisters New Member

<snipped

Actually, it was a Contra Costa County Sheriff's Officer not local Antioch PD.

3. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

I just want to throw something out here, but why could they track his movements in the house during the day, but not at night? There has to be a way he jammed the frequency. Also, any chance the PO office is checking the dates in Shaws report that they completely lost garrido to see if they match any crimes?

4. Billylee

Billylee New Member

Well, I don't know about LE, but I've been looking. :)
    I would assume now that the whole world has seen this report, they'd be fools not to!!

There is no difference in the GPS day or night. Where did it say the GPS wouldn't work at night? There may be a way to jam it, and PG could have figured that out, but it all boils down to the PO's not doing their jobs! They should have investigated any discrepancies in the GPS patterns and did not. Sadly.

5. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

I will have to go look for the statement again, but it seemed pretty cut and dried that he was gone for complete nights, midnight to 7 and couldn't be tracked.

When I find it I will post it here.

This is from page 25. Please read the paragraphs as they have multiple faux pas by the ***

likely have produced Garrido&#8217;s release from parole after three years.
    The department did not use available GPS information
    The department also failed to use readily available information from its GPS monitoring
    program to identify that Garrido was not adhering to the terms of his parole. In April 2008, as
    part of a larger effort to place monitoring devices on all parolee sex offenders, the department
    placed a GPS ankle monitoring device on Garrido to electronically monitor his movements.
    Given his assessed status as a low-risk sex offender, the department placed Garrido on its
    passive GPS monitoring program.
    One of the potential uses of the GPS device was to determine whether Garrido traveled more
    than 25 miles from his residence of record without prior approval from parole authorities-a
    limitation the department placed on Garrido as a condition of his parole. According to a
    department official in its electronic monitoring unit, the department can establish an electronic
    zone around a parolee&#8217;s home. The GPS monitoring system will detect this breech and notify
    the assigned parole agent. Under the passive GPS monitoring program, the system would
    notify the parole agent the next day.
    However, the parole agent did not use the tool available to him to establish a restricted travel
    zone to monitor Garrido. If done, the system would have alerted parole authorities that Garrido
    was repeatedly out of compliance with his conditions of parole. We reviewed GPS information
    for Garrido over a 32-day period from July 23, 2009 to August 23, 2009. During this limited
    time period, we discovered that Garrido went outside of the 25-mile zone seven times,
    traveling to Berkeley, Oakland, or San Francisco. The department&#8217;s parole file does not reflect
    that Garrido asked for, or received, permission to go outside the 25-mile zone from his house
    during this time period. The same data we reviewed is readily available to parole agents.
    More concerning was that the department ignored alerts it received from a restricted time zone
    that it did establish for Garrido. In the GPS monitoring system that the department used until
    June 2009, parole agents established a time zone surrounding Garrido&#8217;s house, programming the
    system to send an alert if Garrido left his residence at night, between about midnight and 7:00
    a.m. This important information would help a parole agent ascertain if Garrido was participating
    in improper activities. System records show that between April 2008 and June 2009, parole
    agents received 14 alerts that Garrido had left his residence after the curfew. Disappointingly,
    parole agents ignored each of these alerts, letting them go without any apparent follow-up or
    investigation. Ignoring the alerts generated by the system defeats the purpose of this tool.

How do you know which dates to check?? I wanted to check but had NO idea where to start?

6. Billylee

Billylee New Member

So, as you can see, the GPS WAS working, the freakin' PO's were not!

Look at the chart on pg 17. And read the summary thereof. For starters it looks like he went almost a whole year (not registering,even) without pretty much any scrutiny from July 01 -July 02. there's also the months of June 99 to Jan 2000. And January 05 to July 05. That's where I started looking. Of course, who the hell knows how much he was being watched prior to 1999 when he was finally under the CA watch. This all makes me sick, that these people can't do their freakin' jobs! By the way, in my searching, I added two new possible victims we'd missed to the time line. One from Stockton, missing since 88 (after PG's release) and another from Cameron Park 2006.

7. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

Found it, from page 23 and 24:

Additionally, we identified significant abnormalities in Garrido&#8217;s GPS information that, if
    identified, should have led to further investigation. During a 32-day period between July
    23, 2009 and August 23, 2009, the department lost the GPS signal from Garrido&#8217;s ankle
    monitoring device almost every night for prolonged periods of time, typically nine or more
    Figure 5: Garrido&#8217;s GPS &#8220;tracks&#8221; in concealed compound
    Note: Back yard fence line superimposed by the Office of the
    Inspector General. Source: Department GPS monitoring system for

Bureau of Criminal Investigations, Office of the Inspector General Page 24
    hours. According to the department official over the electronic monitoring unit, the lost GPS
    signal could have been caused by the physical construction of Garrido&#8217;s house, which may
    have blocked the GPS unit&#8217;s ability to transmit a signal. However, he also stated that parolees
    have developed masking techniques to block GPS signals. The official stated that the current
    GPS monitoring system&#8211;which the department has used since June 2009&#8211;will send an alert to a
    parole agent if it has lost a signal for 24 or more hours, while the previous system&#8211;used prior to
    June 2009&#8211;sent an alert after a GPS signal was lost for six or more hours.

8. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

Anyway, a bit confusing as Shaw shows him being tracked in the house during the day and states the house may be blocking the signal at night. I say it had to be something more sinister... Since it worked during the day, pg must have blocked it at night to be able to do as he pleased.

9. time

time New Member

I have to agree that I think Garrido was fooling around with the signal - they should have caught this right away.

Geez... am I reading this right, the system now catches it in less time than it used to?

June 2009–will send an alert to a parole agent if it has lost a signal for 24 or more hours

prior to June 2009–sent an alert after a GPS signal was lost for six or more hours.

10. Billylee

Billylee New Member

We have hand held gps unit. Just bought it this year, from my understanding the newer the model, the better the receiver. However, the sending an alert to the parole agent part, sounds like part of the accompanyng software package for those particular gps units. So, yes software is always improving, except for internet explorer, lol!!!

11. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

I have super glue and two gps units that track within a few feet. I would be happy to sell them to cdc for $1500. and glue them to SO foreheads all by myself!!! Hmmmm, come to think of it, I can think of someplace else to super glue it! ;-)

12. Natal

Natal Former Member

Actually, the figure shows only 4 pings in the house, and because of the scatter issue, those likely originated outside.

13. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

I find that doubtful. I've been wrong MANY times but I say no way!

14. Natal

Natal Former Member

I would guess that the system is registering a massive amount of anomalies with lost signals over 6 hours, but far fewer over 24 hours (probably because of signals being shielded or batteries draining while people slept). If you have a situation where the PO is being flooded by false alerts all the time, it is much easier for a real one to slip by unnoticed.

15. Natal

Natal Former Member

There are like a hundred pings, but only 4 are "inside". If that was the case then it would mean that he allmost never went indoors, which seems pretty unlikely to me.

16. Billylee

Billylee New Member

The report says the GPS they used was accurate to a 36 foot radius. (I think) I know our own is accurate to within 5-12 foot radius. So what looks like outside, could be in, or what looks like the neighbors could maybe not be. The only one I'd really question is the one that is way up on the top of the page beyond Damon's property. Now that could have actually been "in Damon's house" or on his porch or whatever.

17. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

Give me a system that gives alerts that can be traced and deemed to be false or positive. I would prefer RSO be monitored to the highest standards possible and appropriate to the individual.

One of the things gps wearers are supposed to be sanctioned for is not charging their units in a timely manner. Also removing their units.

I would not think Shaw would have chastised the dept for all of these errors if the system was so fallible to problems. It is to be used for monitoring, which was not done correctly, at least in pg's case.

18. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

Well, if those 4 can be incorrect, take another look at the picture. It's possible that aall the pings in the immediate back yard are incorrect also and were actually in the house. Margins of error go both ways.

19. anthroamy

anthroamy New Member

One bright spot in all of this GPS business is that if the signal really does fail when he's inside the house at night then perhaps that means he's not sleeping out in the tents with the daughters in his arms :sick:

36 foot margin of error or not, it still looks to me like he was at Damon's house. Why? I'll try later this weekend to dig up some of the original interviews with Damon and see what he says about his interactions with PG.

20. time

time New Member

Maybe he had the house 'cloaked' - ok, yes, I have always watched too much science fiction. But I wonder what techniques do disable these.