The Oath of Admission to the Florida Bar -- Did JB or CM violate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday

Verified Author
Reaction score
OATH OF ADMISSION TO THE FLORIDA BAR

The general principles which should ever control the lawyer in the practice of the legal profession are clearly set forth in the following oath of admission to the Bar, which the lawyer is sworn on admission to obey and for the willful violation to which disbarment may be had.

“I do solemnly swear:
“I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Florida;

“I will maintain the respect due to courts of justice and judicial officers;

“I will not counsel or maintain any suit or proceedings which shall appear to me to be unjust, nor any defense except such as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law of the land;

“I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes confided to me such means only as are consistent with truth and honor, and will never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement of fact or law;

“I will maintain the confidence and preserve inviolate the secrets of my clients, and will accept no compensation in connection with their business except from them or with their knowledge and approval;

“I will abstain from all offensive personality and advance no fact prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness, unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged;

“I will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay anyone’s cause for lucre or malice.

So help me God.”

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBResources.nsf/Attachments/D729A92673914BC6852571C6006EED37/$FILE/2Creed&Oath.pdf?OpenElement

NOTE: "The Creed of Professionalism" appears first in this link, followed by the Oath of Admission. The Creed has loftier ideals than the Oath of Office but apparently even less influence on the behavior of certain attorneys.

The general principles which should ever control the lawyer in the practice of the legal profession are clearly set forth in the following oath of admission to the Bar, which the lawyer is sworn on admission to obey and for the willful violation to which disbarment may be had.

“I do solemnly swear:
“I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Florida;

“I will not counsel or maintain any suit or proceedings which shall appear to me to be unjust, nor any defense except such as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law of the land;

“I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes confided to me such means only as are consistent with truth and honor, and will never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement of fact or law;

“I will maintain the confidence and preserve inviolate the secrets of my clients, and will accept no compensation in connection with their business except from them or with their knowledge and approval;

“I will abstain from all offensive personality and advance no fact prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness, unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged;

“I will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay anyone’s cause for lucre or malice.

So help me God.”

http://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBResources.nsf/Attachments/D729A92673914BC6852571C6006EED37/$FILE/2Creed&Oath.pdf?OpenElement

NOTE: "The Creed of Professionalism" appears first in this link, followed by the Oath of Admission. The Creed has loftier ideals than the Oath of Office but apparently even less influence on the behavior of certain attorneys.

If the DT opening statement did not violate the bolded section above, the Florida Bar needs to rewrite their oath.

Agreed but again, if our words aren't heard right now, right this minute, while everyone is in agreement, nothing will be done & he will go his merry way, just like his client!

imo - so far three apply
*I will not counsel or maintain any suit or proceedings which shall appear to me to be unjust, nor any defense except such as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law of the land
*I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes confided to me such means only as are consistent with truth and honor, and will never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement of fact or law
*I will abstain from all offensive personality and advance no fact prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness, unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged

This is up for debate:

Oh yeah.They broke it,and willfully,IMO.

The PI, J Lyons,was working on JB's and CM's orders. Hinky

Intentionally ignoring HHJP's court order about expert testimony.

Throwing out a defense theory that had no evidence to support it ,simply evil.

There was no honor in the way the Team defended Casey Anthony.

Admittedly using the social media consultants studying blogs and tweets to ascertain the public opinion to be used to the defense's advantage and to customize their strategy through the course of the trial is a clear violation of this oath IMO by every attorney on that team. Truth and honor had no place in their defense strategy whatsoever.

If the Fla. Bar doesn't enforce their own instructions within that oath, then they need to be investigated themselves.

There it is in black and white, written in plain English. This has been violated by the DT.
Punishment should be swift and severe.

Most certainly! I was shocked to know that a DT can invent stories without evidence. It might have been Casey's story but he embellished it ten fold in order to gain his WIN. I am positive the jurors thought this was truth since it was allowed in court with no objections from the judge. Their own words confirm it. Twisted law for sure.

I don't think we should set ourselves up for more disappointment than we've already had, so despite JB's and CM's glaring violations of their Oath, don't expect to hear any talk of censure or sounds of righteous indignation coming from the lawyers on the governing committees of the Florida Bar.

If I were a cartoonist, I'd sum up the situation with a drawing of JB and CM standing beside their own lawyer. In front of them, beneath a sign "Florida Bar Committe," are a dozen attorneys in dark suits who are seated at a long table, with an untouched rock in front of each of them. The attorneys at rhe table have their hands in their pockes, linked behind their heads, plucking at their ties, straightening their sleeves, etc.

Above the head of the the attorney representing JB and CM is a balloon with his words: "Let him who has never broken his Oath of Admission be the first to throw a stone at Brother Baez or Brother Chaney."

Okay, I'm getting cross and cynical. Time for some sleep. :blowkiss:

These guys selectively choose how they want to see their obligations to the oath and to the law-Like their "toast" to the Constitution-which I am sure they did, tongue in cheek-but oopsy, they forgot the Declaration of Independence-You know, that musty old founding document, which guarantees that Caylee had an inalienable right to life? Though it will never come out of his mouth, IMO JB knew that his client deprived Caylee of her right to life and I also know that he never weighed that in his mind when crafting his defense. Not starting a debate on the matter, already stated it is MOO, and I know the blah blah blah about defense attorneys doing their jobs...but I hope that in Florida and in the federal judicial system that people like JB and Justice Elena Kagan think twice about ignoring that "other" founding document and how important those principals are. Without it there would be no toast to the Constitution because that document would not exist. He had no obligation to do the things he did just to win.
If they cannot abide founding documents, do you really think they find the bar oath sacrosanct?

The OJ case threw out the Brazilian necktie theory. Geragos threw out a bunch of burglars killed Laci...but Baez's was the most vile, wicked and disgusting opening to date. Noe of these three proved or even attempted to prove their claims. In two of the three cases, it worked. The jury liked the defendent It comes down to the demographics of the jury.

Imo, Baez violated the Oath, but will anything be done? Not in this lifetime. Strickland reported him to the bar and nothing happend. The Bar is useless. It is seated by attorney for attorneys. The only time I have seen action is if their is money involved with the violation and it can be seen on paper. Otherwise, the attorneys talk or write their way out of all motions to the Bar. :banghead:

What happened with Judge Perry? Wasn't he going to do something when the trial ended?

“I do solemnly swear:

So help me God.”
Does the bold part mean no shooting "Birds or grabbing crotch"

The OJ case threw out the Brazilian necktie theory. Geragos threw out a bunch of burglars killed Laci...but Baez's was the most vile, wicked and disgusting opening to date. Noe of these three proved or even attempted to prove their claims. In two of the three cases, it worked. The jury liked the defendent It comes down to the demographics of the jury.

Imo, Baez violated the Oath, but will anything be done? Not in this lifetime. Strickland reported him to the bar and nothing happend. The Bar is useless. It is seated by attorney for attorneys. The only time I have seen action is if their is money involved with the violation and it can be seen on paper. Otherwise, the attorneys talk or write their way out of all motions to the Bar. :banghead:

What happened with Judge Perry? Wasn't he going to do something when the trial ended?
I would think if Judge Perry were to do something he would wait until KC was released. Let the tempers cool down a little. jmo

I do not expect the Bar to do anything to any of the attorneys. It would be comforting to know that agencies and legal establishments in this country that are in charge of overseeing, would actually oversee...

...and then act accordingly.

But I am not holding my breath on anyone doing anything even in the face of undeniable evidence of a broken oath or two.

“I do solemnly swear:

<snipped>
So help me God.”

bbm
That should have prevented Jose from being accepted into the FBA right there !! :loser:

I'm not holding my breath, but there it is in black and white. If ever an attorney(ies) deserved to be disbarred for behavior it is JB and possibly his cohorts who sat by and let him flagrantly abuse the justice system.

I'm still trying to come to terms with this, thank you Friday for helping to make sense of a senseless situation. I know what happened feels wrong on every level, seeing this helps to sort out the facts from the emotions.

..but Baez's was the most vile, wicked and disgusting opening to date.

True, but George was probably in on it from the get go, as I do believe he would take all these hits gladly for his daughter to be free.

Hopefully this will be looked into by JP or the SA or whomever and something will be done about it!!!

Can you even imagine JB being disbarred or jailed and FCA has been set free???
Oh happy day!!! :)

if JB brokered ABC deal, there is a problem for me. Twisted law and NO ethics whatsoever. I know the board cleared him, but believe me... he found a loophole. He didnt need the client contract to include that he owned any rights etc. He will probably marry the Baby killer and then he will get half of everything anyways. LOL.

We need to put pressure on the FL bar to do something about the violations IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak