The priest in Praia de Luz

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy I know who attends AA meetings told me that there are a couple priests in his Tuesday night meeting who talk about confessions. He says some confession make the priest want to have a drink...Now, they don't say WHO confessed what, just WHAT they confessed. LOL

...(snip)http://www.dailysnack.com/news_article.html?fSKU=7809

I’ll take McCann secrets to the grave

What secrets?

Maybe he didn't have any secrets:

But since the finger of suspicion was pointed at the McCanns, a friend said Father Pacheco had been left feeling "confused" about the couple.

If they had confessed to him, then he shouldn't have been surprised...Maybe what they actually told him was pretty similar to what they have said in public. When the finger pointed, he began to put two and two together.

Father Pacheco is said to have been ticked off by Bishop Manuel Quintas for giving the McCanns the keys to his chapel

I ask myself, why would the Bishop object to giving the keys to a high-profile, very well-connected, Catholic couple who truly needed shelter from the storm in which they found themselves? Heck, I would have given them the keys to my house if I believed in them. Did the Bishop believe their story?

From another story:
But when the finger of suspicion was pointed at the McCanns and they left for Britain last week, they did not say goodbye and handed the church keys to an Anglican priest.

This has been spun as the ingrate McCanns being rude to their benefactor. Maybe Father Pacheco was avoiding them. He had already been reprimanded by his boss, the press was salivating over him, and he felt 'confused' about the couple.

(Love the DailySnack name)

Thanks for those links, Colomom.

Good points, Morag.

I've been wondering about that priest for awhil, especially with the switch to the Anglican priest--although he might have just been taking over for the duties for the priest--again, for what reason? Sometimes there are reciprocal agreements for, say, Lutheran/Episcopal priests to relieve each other in smaller areas, but I don't know if that would apply here.

I wouldn't get too excited about this yet. The daily Star is a real "RAG" tabloid.

More like the Enquirer than the Enquirer!!!

april4sky,
You have that right. The Star is one of the worst rag mags in print. I have a UK friend who swears it's the worst she's ever read.

Still think I'll do research about the Priest. Interesting to find out if he's really is missing.

I'm tired this morning.... I thought someone meant he could get in legal trouble for talking :bang:

Not legal trouble, but he could get into trouble with his bishop, possibly even "defrocked".

Priest or not, vows or not, I think if he was confessed to he has an obligation to tell. If I were him I wouldn't worry about the bishop or the pope it's Jesus he will answer to.

Priest or not, vows or not, I think if he was confessed to he has an obligation to tell. If I were him I wouldn't worry about the bishop or the pope it's Jesus he will answer to.

But he really can't break the seal of the confessional, it's sacred. I'll confess myself I don't entirely understand the logic of letting a criminal go free, but they feel they are administering heavenly forgiveness, not earthly consequences. Apples and oranges, to them.

But he really can't break the seal of the confessional, it's sacred. I'll confess myself I don't entirely understand the logic of letting a criminal go free, but they feel they are administering heavenly forgiveness, not earthly consequences. Apples and oranges, to them.

Ahhhhhh...... but a few choice words, with a few well placed pauses, and he never said a word.........:innocent:

Salem

Surely, this man has a conscience. What about the twins? Wouldn't he be worried about them?

If he knows something, he cannot tell himself, but he could privately persuade the confessor to turn him/herself in and face the consequences.

I'll tell you, I was raised catholic but am no longer. I guess I don't care if he took a vow or not, doesn't matter to me. He needs to tell what he knows if he actually does know anything. I guess in my opinion , confessing your sins and asking for forgiveness are two different things. Just because you confess something does not mean your sorry it just means you know you did something wrong. I guess I feel that if they are guilty and don't confess and people continue to believe in their innocence then they may have earthly forgiveness with heavenly consequences and in the end whoever is responsible will be held accountable!

My daughter just had her first communion - which is the first time they actually confess their sins to the priest. The priest informed the kids and parents that whatever you confess is sacred except for murder or if you plan to harm yourself or others. Then by law they must go to the police. So if they had confessed murder I believe the priest at least in Canada would be required to go to the police.

My daughter just had her first communion - which is the first time they actually confess their sins to the priest. The priest informed the kids and parents that whatever you confess is sacred except for murder or if you plan to harm yourself or others. Then by law they must go to the police. So if they had confessed murder I believe the priest at least in Canada would be required to go to the police.

I was told the exact opposite by more than one priest at different times in my life...they cannot even tell if someone confesses to murder.

I was told the exact opposite by more than one priest at different times in my life...they cannot even tell if someone confesses to murder.

Well I'm not sure if that is the way it is in all countries but the priest and his cardinal was with him when he made that statement. So at least in Canada or in my parish that is the way it is. I was shocked when he made the statement because I was taught everything you confess is sacred but I guess the Roman Catholic Church is a changing. Maybe after all the scandals they want to protect themselves. Not sure.

I thought this also.

wtsn5...interesting thought on protecting themselves. Although, you would think they would start by disrobing or at LEAST investigating those who are accused of abuse. Since they appear to just move the culprits on, making no sense at all, it's hard to tell WHAT else they would do to protect themselves.

Its called job security.

Surely, this man has a conscience. What about the twins? Wouldn't he be worried about them?

My mom was Catholic so I can say this (I hope) without being off-base:

The Catholic Church has shown by their behavior with regard to child sexual abuse that they have no conscience. To a protestant (which is how I was raised), it's very weird that you can do any awful thing and if you simply confess it, you're ok with God. Wow, that seems like free license.

Remember, too, that the Catholic Church's stance on birth control means they are just fine with overpopulation, poverty, and suffering here on earth. I think it's because they figure this life is just a prelude to a better one afterward. So it's ok to suffer.

My mom was Catholic so I can say this (I hope) without being off-base:

The Catholic Church has shown by their behavior with regard to child sexual abuse that they have no conscience. To a protestant (which is how I was raised), it's very weird that you can do any awful thing and if you simply confess it, you're ok with God. Wow, that seems like free license.

Remember, too, that the Catholic Church's stance on birth control means they are just fine with overpopulation, poverty, and suffering here on earth. I think it's because they figure this life is just a prelude to a better one afterward. So it's ok to suffer.

Well, I believe you are suppose to repent and truly be sorry, but I get your point. I am Catholic (somewhat - not practicing) but neither of us has time for the million things about the church that I cannot bear. Suffice to say that I have been married 3 years and we do not have children by choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crime.junkie