The Rape Allegations/Investigation

Does anyone know if a Marine on active duty has ever been convicted of murder? In civil court? Has a Marine on active duty ever been executed for a crime? For murder? Where could I find this information?

Maybe NG would find that one out for me?

Yes.I'm not sure of the time frame or the name.Let me go back and look it up for ya.I do remember that he was a captain and had murdered his wife and I belive his daughter.

Does anyone know if a Marine on active duty has ever been convicted of murder? In civil court? Has a Marine on active duty ever been executed for a crime? For murder? Where could I find this information?

I am SURE that, over the years, several Marines have been convicted for murder in both civil and military courts. Know personally of an AF officer convicted via court marshal 17 years ago (now still in Leavenworth) and recall some recent Army folks being convicted in civil court.

Doubt they would execute but being locked-up in Leavenworth would not be so fun...

Yes.I'm not sure of the time frame or the name.Let me go back and look it up for ya.I do remember that he was a captain and had murdered his wife and I belive his daughter.

If I remember correctly, Jeffrey Macdonald was an Army Captain and Green Beret. There was found to be insufficient evidence in a 1970 Article 32 Hearing.

The case was retried in a civilian court years later and Macdonald was convicted.

If I remember correctly, Jeffrey Macdonald was an Army Captain and Green Beret. There was found to be insufficient evidence in a 1970 Article 32 Hearing.

The case was retried in a civilian court years later and Macdonald was convicted.

Intersting. Was McDonald still in the service at the time of the civil conviction? Was that the only one?

Weren't there three or so guys that killed their wives at the same base? Didn't they say it was from a vacination? Were they ever charged? Convicted? Is there a place to search military convictions?

Intersting. Was McDonald still in the service at the time of the civil conviction? Was that the only one?

No, Macdonald was not in the service at the time of his conviction. It was going on 10 years before he was convicted.
He was honorably discharged from the army not long after being cleared in the hearing.

I don't know if there were others or not.

There are likley several examples. I personaly knew an AF2Lt who killed his wife during lunch one day and was court martialled. Here are two examples of pregnant woment killed by military members I found in a quick search. IO think both were court marshalled...

- Sgt. Timothy Ward, a soldier serving at the Helemano Military Reservation in Honolulu, was convicted in January 2000 of premeditated murder in the death of his wife, Bianca Ward, who was in the latter stages of pregnancy at the time of her death. Her unborn child did not survive. The cause of death was severe head trauma although there were also several puncture wounds. Ward was dishonorably discharged and sentenced to 35 years of confinement. No charges were brought to the harm done to their unborn child.

- On September 12, 1996, at Wright-Patterson AFB, Airman Gregory Robbins assaulted his wife, Karlene, who was eight months pregnant with their daughter, Jasmine. He covered his fist with a t-shirt and repeatedly struck her in the face and abdomen. Due to the assault, Karlene's uterus ruptured and expelled Jasmine into the abdominal cavity and she died. The baby was not recognized as a victim under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Fortunately, the Air Force prosecutor was able to prosecute under the Ohio unborn victims law, which makes it a crime to kill an unborn child. Robbins pled guilty to assault and battery upon his pregnant wife and involuntary manslaughter for the death of Jasmine.

I have been reading up on the Feres Doctrine, which prohibits active duty servicemembers and their families from seeking redress for personal injury or death caused by another member of the armed services.

Basically, it has been upheld (in United States v. Frieda Joyce Johnson No. 85-2039 (1986), referring to the Shearer case) that "interest in military dicipline overcomes the public interest in preventing kidnapping and murders".

Other cases to read include:
Feres v. United States 340 U.S. 135 (1950) (soldier killed in barracks by unsafe heating unit)
United States v. Shearer No 84-194 (1985) (Soldier kidnapped and murdered by another soldier)
Dorothy Mackey v. United States No. 99-4022 (2000) (prohibited from claiming sexual harrassment against commanders)

I'm still studying it, but hope this helps in your search.

DAILY NEWS STAFF
The creator of an Internet memorial site for a pregnant Marine who authorities say was killed by a colleague in mid-December received online death threats from at least two Marines this week.

"Shut up or get cut up," a post made in the name of Ron Parikh appeared on the MySpace memorial for Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach on Feb. 5.

Marine Corps officials confirmed that Lance Cpl. Parikh, a personnel clerk currently assigned to a training command in California, was under investigation for several MySpace.com postings.

"Parikh is being investigated by the Criminal Investigation Division for information posted on the Internet about Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach," said Capt. Neal Fisher, public affairs director for Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twenty-nine Palms, Calif.

Another Marine, Lance Cpl. Jonathan Cole, is also under investigation for comments he made on the internet, Marine officials said.

Cole is assigned to a unit in the 2nd Marine Division which is based at Camp Lejeune, said Lt. Col. Curtis Hill, public affairs officer for II Marine Expeditionary Force.

"(Cole's) command is aware of the MySpace issue and is taking appropriate action," Hill said.

Communicating "certain language expressing a present determination or intent to wrongfully injure" someone is a violation of military law, according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

If such communications were "of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces" then Parikh, Cole and any other Marines involved could potentially face even more trouble, according to Article 134 of the UCMJ.

"If Marines were caught doing something inappropriate in uniform or their photograph was associated with something inappropriate online, that is a violation of the UMCJ," said Sgt. Paul Robbins, a public relations officer at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

A photograph of Parikh in dress blues serves as an icon picture on his MySpace account.

Jacksonville resident Miley Collier said she started the memorial page about a week ago as a way to remember Lauterbach and allow other people the opportunity to tell people what Lauterbach meant to them.

"I have received thousands of messages from people saying how Maria's story has touched their lives," Collier said. "I never expected to be threatened for setting up a memorial site."

Collier said she was petrified and worried given her geographic closeness to some of the Marines being investigated for their comments.

"You should be slapped in the face for talking about things that should be left alone. I'm not gonna sit here and watch you talk s--t," a post made from Parikh's MySpace account said. "I will do you like Laurean did if you don't take this page off."

Authorities say Lauterbach was killed by Cpl. Cesar Laurean Dec. 14. She was in the third trimester of a pregnancy at the time of her death and had accused Laurean of rape.

Laurean has been on the run since he fled Onslow County in mid-January. Authorities say Laurean left notes behind with his wife saying Lauterbach killed herself by slicing her own throat and he just buried her body behind the Half Moon home shared by the couple.

Posts attributed to Parikh's MySpace account claim Parikh knows Laurean and supports Laurean's purported version of events including that Lauterbach killed herself.

Lauterbach's autopsy revealed that she died of a blow to the head and cuts made to her neck were done post-mortem.

The section of the memorial site with the posts under investigation has been removed from the Web. Collier said she did not take the posts down but was informed by law-enforcement officials that portion of her site might be temporarily taken down during the investigation.

The memorial for Lauterbach can be viewed at MySpace.com/Maria_Lauterbach_Memorial.

Contact police reporter Lindell Kay at lkay@freedomenc.com or 910-554-8534. To comment on this story or to read others' comments go to jdnews.com.

Thank you Davenj. See why I didn't want to post the actual pages and kept saying search them for yourself? It scares me too. That must be why some of them have taken down the photos of themselves in military uniforms on MySpace and Facebook. Posts are gone, photos are gone and whole sites were gone. I don't disbute anything when people tell me I'm wrong. I figure those who are interested will check for themselves. What I had referred to had nothing to do with a yard sale. It was this posting and others.

DAILY NEWS STAFF
The creator of an Internet memorial site for a pregnant Marine who authorities say was killed by a colleague in mid-December received online death threats from at least two Marines this week.

Communicating "certain language expressing a present determination or intent to wrongfully injure" someone is a violation of military law, according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

If such communications were "of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces" then Parikh, Cole and any other Marines involved could potentially face even more trouble, according to Article 134 of the UCMJ.

Collier said she was petrified and worried given her geographic closeness to some of the Marines being investigated for their comments.

"You should be slapped in the face for talking about things that should be left alone. I'm not gonna sit here and watch you talk s--t," a post made from Parikh's MySpace account said. "I will do you like Laurean did if you don't take this page off."

Authorities say Lauterbach was killed by Cpl. Cesar Laurean Dec. 14. She was in the third trimester of a pregnancy at the time of her death and had accused Laurean of rape.

Posts attributed to Parikh's MySpace account claim Parikh knows Laurean and supports Laurean's purported version of events including that Lauterbach killed herself.
(snipped to save space)

I guess the "stellar" Marine Laurean and his newly active duty Marine wife Christine still have their defenders and fans at LeJeune.

What is with these guys - Excess testosterone/steroids? Women in the Marines issues? "I'm pregnant, I'm keeping the baby and you're on the hook for 18 years issues"? These creeps probably never said hello to Maria (if that) and yet they feel they should write death threats and ignorant emails to someone who put up a WEB SITE for a dead woman and her baby. And why are they sticking up for Laurean or his supposedly innocent, unaware blind wife? Do they really not believe Laurean murdered a 8.5 mos pregnant Maria and her son Gabriel in cold blood and was such a dumbass Marine he buried her in his own backyard - literally feet from his back door in full view of his house where his child swung on her swingset and his dog played - and to cap off his depravity he threw a couple of PARTIES for his Marine buddies where they enjoyed some Marine bonding, beers, and a campfire circle around a bonfire over his victim's bodies!!!

They should be SICK and ANGRY all right, but at Laurean and his wife - not the person who out of the goodness of their heart put up a public online TRIBUTE to Maria and Gabriel. I hope the Marine Corp tracks down every last person who wrote something nasty and not only throws them in the brig, gives them latrine cleaning duty and confines them to base for 9 mos (maybe they will then "give birth" to an improved attitude) BUT also questions them in the "Marine Corp Way" for a few days as to their whereabouts, activities and bank withdrawals from Dec 11th to now.....

I am so disappointed...I really thought the Marine Corp was better than this. They have proven they are badly in need of a complete overhaul and change of policy and attitude from the Top Brass all the way to the fresh shaved grunts in boot camp. They certainly do NOT live up the their motto or their slogan in my eyes - and dare I say this whole sad story makes them look really hypocritical, bigoted and backward and decidedly NOT the branch of the armed forces the "best" young men and women would strive and sacrifice to achieve membership in. And it sure does nothing to assure the parents and spouses of potential Marines that they will be valued and kept as safe as possible by their commanders and their fellow Marines. I though they NEVER left a Marine behind - boy, they sure failed Maria (and Gabriel) and left a Marine behind - killed by a fellow Marine and abandoned to a cold lonely hole...and they didn't even bother to arrest their "stellar" Marine when they had the chance and instead let him run to Mexico from under their nose.

Urh, this whole case makes me furious and so very determined that Maria get justice AND that her death will be the driving force and inspiration for true CHANGE in the Marine Corp so that what happened to Maria and Gabriel NEVER happens again.

My Opinion

Flower
I understand why you fell the way you do.The whole thing makes me sick.I'm a former Marine and still have friends that are in.Myself and all my buddies mutually agree that CL needs to know what it's like to feel pain.I agree with you that the Marines as well as Onslow County Sheriff dropped the ball.Just try and understand that we're all not like CL and the fools that made the Myspace posts.

[quote=davenj;

"Shut up or get cut up," a post made in the name of Ron Parikh appeared on the MySpace memorial for Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach on Feb. 5.

Crime-Dreamer, that took courage to post, and thank you.

Flower-Child, that was one of the most honest and sincere statements I have ever read.

I think that Maria heard the same type of threats. I think she heard them over and over again by other Marines at LeJeune. And they were not idle threats; they followed through. She was not slapped in the face - she was PUNCHED in the face. How many times did she hear "Shut up or get cut up" from this same type of guy on base? "Talking about things that should be left alone...". She spoke up and it got her killed. I think that any Marines who know what happened have been directly ordered to "Shut up or get cut up." And they know that the people who make these threats will follow through. Hence the total silence.

I guess CL is about like Osama Bin Laden...safe from the Marines and prosecution. What a crock!

OMG I sure wish this case would gain media attention again.. Maybe things will focus back on Maria and her baby now that the Cutts trial is pretty much over and Brianna has been found. Sooo many questions still unanswered like was the DNA of the baby ever found to be linked to Cesar? Was Christina involved? Where is Christina by the way? Still nothing on her? A man hunt should be on for Cesar it can't be that HARD to find the guy..come on already!~

I guess CL is about like Osama Bin Laden...safe from the Marines and prosecution. What a crock!

SS-
Does it seem to you that the US Marines don't give a damn that one of their Marines killed another of their Marines, buried and burned the body and then took off to pursue a new life?

That's what it looks like to me. I'm not hearing a word on this case anymore in the MSM.

Well, I guess I was naive as far as our military was concerned, but I never thought the U.S. Marines would excuse rape, murder and wish good luck to the perpetrator to get away with the crime, but it looks like that's exactly what is happening here. Nothing is being done- just letting the case go cold.

SS-
Does it seem to you that the US Marines don't give a damn that one of their Marines killed another of their Marines, buried and burned the body and then took off to pursue a new life?

That's what it looks like to me. I'm not hearing a word on this case anymore in the MSM.

Well, I guess I was naive as far as our military was concerned, but I never thought the U.S. Marines would excuse rape, murder and wish good luck to the perpetrator to get away with the crime, but it looks like that's exactly what is happening here. Nothing is being done- just letting the case go cold.

I haven't seen any evidence that the Marines are excusing Laurean's crimes or wishing him good luck.
I'm not sure what anybody expects the Marines to do at this point. They can't invade Mexico. They can't act as a civilian LE agency.
That would be against the law --we are not a military police state. The NCIS isn't even a Marine command; it's civilian. And the murder is being prosecuted in a civilian jurisdiction by Oslow County, North Carolina because that was the choice of the Oslow County prosecutor; it's his prerogative. The Marines don't own the mainstream media, so they can't control what is reported there.

What exactly is it that people expect the Marines to do. I mean, really, what action is anyone looking for them to take at this juncture?

I haven't seen any evidence that the Marines are excusing Laurean's crimes or wishing him good luck.
I'm not sure what anybody expects the Marines to do at this point. They can't invade Mexico. They can't act as a civilian LE agency.
That would be against the law --we are not a military police state. The NCIS isn't even a Marine command; it's civilian. And the murder is being prosecuted in a civilian jurisdiction by Oslow County, North Carolina because that was the choice of the Oslow County prosecutor; it's his prerogative. The Marines don't own the mainstream media, so they can't control what is reported there.

What exactly is it that people expect the Marines to do. I mean, really, what action is anyone looking for them to take at this juncture?

I expect the Marines to change the way women are treated in the military. I expect that anyone who supports the USMC will have the humanity and decency to look hard at this case and the many other instances where women have been brutally assaulted by their fellow servicemembers and demand that the climate which encourages this type of brutality be changed.

But, in all honesty, I fully expect that the people who blindly support some fairy-tale notion of the military will continue to wear the blinders and allow the abuse to continue unabated.

What, exactly, do people expect the Marines to do, you ask? Tell the truth. Stand up for Maria. Stand up for justice. Grow a frickken backbone. Stop lying to defend men who assault women.

What do YOU expect of the USMC, steadfast?

I think they could and should send Marine MPs into Mexico to assist in his capture. There is no excuse for him to be still roaming around freely there. I don't call it "invading" Mexico, but they certainly could send people to find him. I don't think they are doing anything at this point.

LE doesn't seem to be getting anywhere either! Have we heard ONE reporter say that LE has been seen in Guadalajara? I know when Mark F. was there...they confirmed that LE hadn't spoken to many people he was able to talk to. They did not see ONE LE officer from the US in the area where he was sighted. What does this tell you?! It tells me they aren't doing a very adequate job of searching...if at all!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back