The Sidebar - Harris Trial #2

Discussion in 'Cooper Harris' started by tlcya, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeypants

monkeypants Do or do not there is no try.

Alpha Golf Romeo Echo Echo Delta

2. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

Very good question. I'd be interested to see such video.

3. arkansasmimi

arkansasmimi Well-Known Member

LT Ferrell (at time LT, now a Captain) testified that it was a criminal case from the very beginning because a child was left in the car. Phil Holloway an attorney who knows all the players except RH, said this was Stoddards first Murder case. Going back and reviewing, it did start at the FU going down hill. Curious what any of the other parents have said. Also I wonder when GA got 2nd Degree Murder? Stoddard told RH that GA didn't have degrees ... Also there was a sentencing change, passed by Leg and signed by Gov April 22, 2014 that went into effect July 1, 2014 changing from Mandatory Life to xx years... But RH is being charged under the Mandatory Life... (this was brought up in Aug 19, 2016 PreTrial Hearing by Lumpkin, Boring argued that the Motion was not ripe yet and Judge Staley agreed... If RH is found guilty, that will def be brought up again. JMHO

ETA: the whole "Whisper red image" that Stoddard initially believed RH posted is where the malice came from. JMHO And State stuck with it...

4. arkansasmimi

RBBM. The Def did show a video of RH on another morning. And it was 30 sec it took him to gather his stuff and get out of car after parking. Same amount of time that was 6/18/14. State blew it off. JMHO

5. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

I think it was a combination of alibi-building ("look how much I love my son, I'm such a good father, I took him for a daddy-son breakfast at CFA cos he loves CFA and our daddy-son breakfasts"), and a "farewell" gesture to Cooper, doing something for him, even though the pig ate Cooper's sausage biscuit (from what others here have said).

...kinda like how Casey Anthony (may have) given stickers to Caylee before she murdered her.

Mrsbobdenby likes this.
  6. DaleTray

DaleTray Active Member

Well, in that case, when RH was doing his murder pre-planning, he should have waited until after July 1 to ensure not to receive the mandatory life sentence.

7. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

some updated information from yesterday:

Prior to lunch, it appeared that tensions were high with the jury after one juror was seen crying during a break on Thursday. After lunch, the jury asked to replay surveillance video that shows Harris going to his car at lunch the day his child was left in the car.

Deliberations were interrupted twice Wednesday so the jury could watch two videos again: one of Justin Ross Harris being interrogated and another of him talking with his now ex-wife in the interview room.

Jurors at this point were sitting up, leaning forward in their chairs looking closely at Harris’ actions. Two female jurors were reading ahead in the transcript, looking for a certain area that interested them.

"I knew I had done what every parent in their life fears they have done and that's leave their son in a car all day," Harris said on the interrogation tape.
    During that part of the tape, a young juror forgot his notepad and decided to take notes on his arm to remember this portion.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33672021/...ss-harris-trial-jury-returns-thursday-morning

8. arkansasmimi

This was from when the jury was going to see the car. Really makes me angry that a reporter, stated that they saw the juror alleged crying and another juror was consoling. That jmho puts more stress on a jury that I would think already has that in the back of their minds. JMHO **ETA I do realize the judge is speaking of taking photos and that the reporter ^^ didn't photograph but still ...
    Oct 25, 2016
    3:32 p.m.
    Let’s talk about the media, Staley Clark said. “No jurors are to be depicted in anyway by the media,” she said. And they need to be at an appropriate distance. http://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...rris-murder-trial-oct/Dmo0qRDQuDAgfBiBSbsmiP/

9. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

According to the Cobb County district attorney's office, if Ross is found guilty on all eight charges and given the maximum sentence to run consecutively, he would get life without parole, plus 42 years.

If he's found guilty on any of the murder charges, he would get life, or life without parole. Georgia law says you must serve 30 years before being eligible for parole.

The maximum sentence for each charge is below:

Charges 1, 2 and 3
    Life with parole possible after 30 years.

Charge 4
    5-20 years

Charge 5
    1-10 years

Charge 6
    1-10 years

Charge 7 and 8
    12 months each

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33672021/...ss-harris-trial-jury-returns-thursday-morning

10. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your reply.

11. blue22

blue22 Well-Known Member

The second degree murder statute was added in 2014 after Ross was indicted, I believe. I don't think it was an option for him.

12. arkansasmimi

Well snap, just one more thing he forgot to Google...:facepalm:

13. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I agree with you this is outrageous.

This is very interesting thank you. I hope the jury aren't overwhelmed with the various charges and jury instructions.

14. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

15. TexMex

TexMex Punishment is justice for the unjust.

In one of the CC videos with Phil Holloway (a Georgia defense attorney)he explains that while it's theoretically possible for Ross to be found guilty on counts 4 or 5 and not guilty on counts 2 or 3 it's also unlikely. The child cruelty charges are meant to be the underlying felonies to the felony murder charges

16. MsMtOlympus

MsMtOlympus New Member

"I knew I had done what every parent in their life fears they have done and that's leave their son in a car all day,"

Harris sounds as though he's speaking at an advocacy conference years after the fact. At the very least, this comment certainly doesn't sound like something a grieving parent says mere hours after discovering and their own child's body.

Mrsbobdenby likes this.
  17. arkansasmimi

Hope4More, GA Peach or Minor4.. or anyone else, I know that we have talked about... but I have been looking to refind the video... it is Lumpkin and Boring.. going over the sentencing. It was where Lumpkin told about the change in law going into effect July 1 2014 on sentencing. There was case law showing where the Mandatory Life was cruel punishment. And the various other charges under GA statutes was less than what the State was going for on old statute. The State argued that the Motion was not Ripe, Lumpkin argued a case where if had not brought up prior that case missed their window to argue. Judge Statley sided with the State and deemed it not ripe at the time and would come back to it, if and when a guilty verdict.

I will look a little bit longer then I will just have to come back to it. Going to work in my yard when warms up a little more lol since no court today Thanks if anyone remembers when that one was.

18. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

(Bold and underlined are my replies)

------------

Seems to me the only person RH ever seemed capable of fooling was himself, but I think the more apt word for that is “denial.” He wasn’t a puppeteer; he was a man who apparently felt he couldn’t even control anything in his own life.

19. monkeypants

Well way back then it was toaster idk if we had toaster ovens really then.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20. monkeypants

I unplug everything once done anyhow just in case out of habit and I hate stuff in counters for the most part as well

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.