The Sidebar - Harris Trial #3 *VERDICT - GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kilgore's response after the verdict:

“When an innocent person is convicted, there’s been some breakdowns in the system, and that’s what happened here,” Kilgore said. “Over the next couple of months and years we’re gonna work towards getting to the bottom of some of those breakdowns. Obviously, we’re gonna be filing the necessary paperwork for a motion for a new trial and appeal.”

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...eady-beginning-paperwork-for-appeal/467213635

"For those of you who want to know if I am ok. The answer is no. I have not been "ok" since the moment I was told my son was dead. I have not been "ok" since the moment my life was put on this path that has led to Ross being found guilty of maliciously murdering our child. So now you may be saying "justice has been served." And you are allowed your right to that opinion. But guess what, you can convict every parent that this has ever happened to, and I can promise you 2 things...#1 it will never bring our children back and #2 it will not prevent this from happening in the future. Next summer, as this begins to happen over and over again, ask yourself, "what can be done?!" The problem is not the parent! The problem is a society that refuses to believe this can happen to them! Wake up! Accept it! And by accepting it you will be protecting your child! I don't care what your opinion is in my situation. I don't care what your opinion is of me! It does not matter! Your opinion will never bring back my son. So called "justice" will never bring back my son. Nothing will ever take that pain away. And nothing will ever feel worse than living with the knowledge that his pain and his death could have been prevented. Be the wise parent, and accept that this can happen. And you will never have to walk the path that my family has had to walk. And I pray YOU never have to walk this path."

Seriously, Leanna took a huge risk in testifying in this trial - she could have asserted her 5th amendment right outside the presence of the jury and never taken the stand.

The 5th amendment prevents the state from compelling you to testify to things that will incriminate YOU. It does not prevent you from being compelled to testify to things that incriminate others (and I believe that Georgia does not recognize spousal privilege in the death of a child.) So, as long as she was not testifying about things that would give the state grounds to charge her, she had no right to invoke the 5th. I personally think the risk she took was in testifying for the defense if she was in any way guilty of Cooper's death. I don't personally believe that she was, though I find her readiness to 'stand by her man' even in the face of all the evidence that he deliberately left Cooper to die pretty repugnant.

I'm not saying that I believe that. I don't know one way or the other. I find her behavior very strange so it raises questions when someone doesn't behave as you expect them to. It doesn't necessarily mean they're guilty. It just makes you wonder.

What I am saying is that I believe that LE believes that she conspired and that is why they were investigating her.

I'm trying to understand why LE (Stoddard) still believes that Leanne conspired with Ross to kill Cooper when there's no evidence to support it.

Acting "strange" is not much to go with. JMO

[video=twitter;798319984086683649]https://twitter.com/courtchatter/status/798319984086683649[/video]

"For those of you who want to know if I am ok. The answer is no. I have not been "ok" since the moment I was told my son was dead. I have not been "ok" since the moment my life was put on this path that has led to Ross being found guilty of maliciously murdering our child. So now you may be saying "justice has been served." And you are allowed your right to that opinion. But guess what, you can convict every parent that this has ever happened to, and I can promise you 2 things...#1 it will never bring our children back and #2 it will not prevent this from happening in the future. Next summer, as this begins to happen over and over again, ask yourself, "what can be done?!" The problem is not the parent! The problem is a society that refuses to believe this can happen to them! Wake up! Accept it! And by accepting it you will be protecting your child! I don't care what your opinion is in my situation. I don't care what your opinion is of me! It does not matter! Your opinion will never bring back my son. So called "justice" will never bring back my son. Nothing will ever take that pain away. And nothing will ever feel worse than living with the knowledge that his pain and his death could have been prevented. Be the wise parent, and accept that this can happen. And you will never have to walk the path that my family has had to walk. And I pray YOU never have to walk this path."

Still in denial.

I don't know if she's complicit or not but possibly LE has evidence on her we don't yet know about. This conviction should give her pause for several reasons. His conviction changes her legal situation, IMO.

I guess LH finally has an answer to the question "did you say too much?"

To think about Cooper seeing the door shut, locked into a car seat. Then sitting there just waiting for the person he should be able to trust above all others to protect him-his father-to come back for him. Only to be left to die alone, miserable and scared.
RH is a pathetic convicted murder. He had a life many would envy and he pissed all over it

To think about Cooper seeing the door shut, locked into a car seat. Then sitting there just waiting for the person he should be able to trust above all others to protect him-his father-to come back for him. Only to be left to die alone, miserable and scared.
RH is a pathetic convicted murder. He had a life many would envy and he pissed all over it

Well said, thank you! :tears: RIP Cooper.

Honestly there is a lot of truth in that statement.

Sitting here at my computer and chatting with my WS friends about the case, I did not think the state met their burden of proof on malice murder - however, if I had been on that jury, I might have been persuaded on the malice murder charge. Like I have said, my initial impression was that he deliberately killed his child, mostly because of 1) proximity of seat, 2) short distance, and 3) lunch time visit.

I think it would be hard to convince me firmly that this was not an accident, but at the same time, I would have trouble just writing it off as a mistake without any criminal penalties. I don't think the way the GA law is written is precise enough to capture situations where it really is an accident - but an accident that shouldn't be allowed to happen without criminal penalties.

I think this pretty well sums up my thoughts as well. I honestly just don't think he set out that morning to do what he did, but he still did it.

Yea Leanna I believe it can and does happen to some parents. It didn't "happen" to Ross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilgore must really believe in RH's innocence to take on RH's appeals as well. No matter his practice specialty, he's certainly not obligated to continue representing RH.

And, maybe he thinks the chances are at least fair he can win a new trial for RH....

I don't think defense attorneys care about their client's guilt or innocence . It's a comforting myth that a defense attorney only defends clients he or she believes to be innocent. Many believe in the system that all accused deserve a spirited and effective defense, but that doesn't mean they believe their client to be innocent.

Right. It's the rest of us who need to "wake up!" and "accept it!". :gaah:

She didn't see any 'problem with the parent' in this case. :notgood:

I want to preface by saying, I think Leanna wasn't involved in a conspiracy to kill her child. With that said, I find it a little strange that two of her recently added friends on facebook are attorneys for the man she doesn't care if she sees ever again...

(if not allowed, please mod snip)

Again I will say I do not think she was involved but I do think she thought RH was capable of this murder. She had him send her a photo each day he took Cooper to school....proving Cooper made it to school. What ever caused those photos to stop being sent, we will never know but I bet it was a heated discussion between the two. RH had to get those pictures stopped so he could do the deed. LH probably finally caved in to RH whinning or demands and said fine, Nothing happened up until now maybe RH changed...well he did not. I will say this, I do not think LH is grieving like most parents would, nor acting like most parents would which does leave one wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak