The Sidebar - Harris Trial #3 *VERDICT - GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of that is true, if I understand you correctly.

Of course defense attorneys defend clients who are guilty - but they also represent clients they believe to be innocent or not guilty. I think these lawyers really believe Ross is not guilty of murder; it was an accident. That is why this is such a burden for them; that is why they are so invested and take it personally.

I truly believe that Kilgore, Rodriguez and Lumpkin do believe their client is innocent. They fought hard, and with passion. If you go back and listen to Kilgores OS, he got choked up a few times. First I thought it was just ... drama for lack of a better word. But after watching the trial and then watching Hearings, I believe it is genuine belief in every thing they said (that an accident, that what he did was disgusting filth and so forth). I look for some strong word Dec 5. I hope we get to read the Appeal. JMHO

But RANCH, this is what Ross' attorney said:

If all those people came away believing Ross was innocent despite the sexting/texting why would Kilgore think the jury would not do the same? Those are very strong statements from Kilgore. And FWIW, my personal opinion of Ross' guilt came from other evidence, not the sexting; why would it be different for the members of the jury?

I don't take what Kilgore says as being what the jury would feel if Ross was cross examined by the State. This jury obviously disagreed with him by voting guilty on all counts.

I stand by my opinion that the jury was influenced by the testimony about unrelated sex crimes, If the defense had Ross testify it would exacerbate that problem for the defense.

JMO

Kilgore video to Media... http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...eady-beginning-paperwork-for-appeal/467213635
GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. - Ross Harris’ lead defense attorney, Maddox Kilgore, said despite the jury’s verdict, he knows his client is not guilty and plans to file an appeal.

Kilgore was extremely emotional as he spoke to reporters outside the courthouse Monday evening.

“When an innocent person is convicted, there’s been some breakdowns in the system, and that’s what happened here,” Kilgore said. “Over the next couple of months and years we’re gonna work towards getting to the bottom of some of those breakdowns. Obviously, we’re gonna be filing the necessary paperwork for a motion for a new trial and appeal.”

Kilgore said he’s never once believed his client was guilty.

“On a more personal level, I’ll tell you that from the moment we met Ross Harris, we’ve never once, ever, once wavered in our absolute belief that he’s not guilty of what he’s just been convicted of,” he said[/url]

I know this is word salad but my ex is an attorney & he once told me lawyers will always believe their client isn't guilty, but rarely do they believe their client is innocent.

BBM
According to one twitter, jurors were paying special attention to this portion when they were rewatching the interrogation video.

RH: "I knew that I had done what every parent in their life fears they have done and that's just leave their son in a car all day."

-'Just leave their son in a car all day'....
That's what RH intended to do and followed through. The word 'just' makes this statement so incriminating.
-Not half-day, not many hours. But he said 'all day'.
-Not forget. But 'leave their son'.

Holy crapola, they are good. I didn't even catch that. You can see his justification in that statement. In his mind he really didn't do anything but create the conditions possible for his son to die. No actual "maliciousness" in his mind.

I can tell you, I believe Ross Harris is and was guilty and the sexting has nothing to do with it.

If they hadn't had the sexting I not sure if they could have gotten a guilty. Everything else they had was disproved (what they had with their SW statements). JMHO

That may very well be true. I don't know. My comment was about Ross taking the stand in his defense. I quoted what Kilgore said about his belief that Ross is innocent. The essence of my comment was that if what Kilgore said about everyone who met Ross believed he is innocent - despite the sexting - then why not put him on the stand and let him explain his actions directly? It's like saying everyone in the world - except the jury - would believe Ross was innocent once they met him.

Just wanted to repeat what most of you are posting............today was all about a precious little boy who did not deserve to suffer and die. Thank you jurors for Justice for Cooper. I felt that the evidence was there when looked at in total. Correct verdict!

Kilgore video to Media... http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...eady-beginning-paperwork-for-appeal/467213635
GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. - Ross Harris’ lead defense attorney, Maddox Kilgore, said despite the jury’s verdict, he knows his client is not guilty and plans to file an appeal.

Kilgore was extremely emotional as he spoke to reporters outside the courthouse Monday evening.

“When an innocent person is convicted, there’s been some breakdowns in the system, and that’s what happened here,” Kilgore said. “Over the next couple of months and years we’re gonna work towards getting to the bottom of some of those breakdowns. Obviously, we’re gonna be filing the necessary paperwork for a motion for a new trial and appeal.”

Kilgore said he’s never once believed his client was guilty.

“On a more personal level, I’ll tell you that from the moment we met Ross Harris, we’ve never once, ever, once wavered in our absolute belief that he’s not guilty of what he’s just been convicted of,” he said.

Kilgore says over the course of the case, every person he’s taken to speak with Harris believes the same thing.

“Each time I take a new person over to the jail, a new lawyer, an investigator, we walk out of the jail and inevitably they turn their head to me and say, ‘My God, he’s really not guilty,’ because he’s not,” Kilgore said.

He said after the verdict was read, Harris, who didn’t show much emotion in the courtroom, told them he could finally begin to grieve his son’s death.

“Ross didn’t say a word. Not one word about what happened in that courtroom. Instead, he recognized that now he can begin the grieving process that he’s not been able to go through the last two-plus years. And he talked about Cooper -- how much he misses him, how much he’s missed him since June 18, 2014, how much he’ll continue to miss him,” Kilgore said. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ross-harr...eady-beginning-paperwork-for-appeal/467213635

That kind of made me tear up - I know that feeling of working so hard for a client and ending up with a result that seems unjust and unfair. This is why there is such a high rate of burnout among lawyers - high rates of suicide and substance abuse too. It is a hard job that can really wipe you out.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how RH's attorney feel about his guilt or innocence. The Jury found RH Guilty of all 8 charges. I believe the jury thoroughly looked at all of the evidence not just part of it. imho

BBM
According to one twitter, jurors were paying special attention to this portion when they were rewatching the interrogation video.

RH: "I knew that I had done what every parent in their life fears they have done and that's just leave their son in a car all day."

-'Just leave their son in a car all day'....
That's what RH intended to do and followed through. The word 'just' makes this statement so incriminating.
-Not half-day, not many hours. But he said 'all day'.
-Not forget. But 'leave their son'.

The whole statement sounds weird.

I think that's what he ultimately decided to do. He was at a "breaking point". He was depressed about his job and his marriage to a woman he wasn't sexually attracted to that treated him like a child. His self described sex addiction was escalating. He thought if he could leave this life behind he would step into a new life, new women, no one to answer to or support. No more emasculation or responsibilities.
He decided to go for it. Life on his own terms. In his mind all he had to do?
"Just" shut the car door and leave

Very sad tonight.

Lives ruined and so much pain.

I can tell you, I believe Ross Harris is and was guilty and the sexting has nothing to do with it.

I agree. The sexting was relevant when I believed that Cooper's death was the result of criminal negligence. As soon as I had the realization that Ross intentionally left Cooper in the car, the sexting didn't matter. As Gitana and others have repeatedly stated, it's the totality of the evidence that cannot be explained away.

RH's sexting and cheating had absolutely nothing to do with me believing he was guilty of malice murder.

Those texts did nothing for me other than (from his perspective) attempt to establish an alibi for what contributed to his 'forgetting.'

I truly believe that Kilgore, Rodriguez and Lumpkin do believe their client is innocent. They fought hard, and with passion. If you go back and listen to Kilgores OS, he got choked up a few times. First I thought it was just ... drama for lack of a better word. But after watching the trial and then watching Hearings, I believe it is genuine belief in every thing they said (that an accident, that what he did was disgusting filth and so forth). I look for some strong word Dec 5. I hope we get to read the Appeal. JMHO

Did you see Kilgore's statements to the media after the trial? He looked as if he was getting choked up while talking to the reporters. I am not sure what to make of it all, but I do think that the jury got it right.

Awfully emotional and a touch hostile for the woman who doesn't care if she ever again sees the man who ruined her life. And no, what her husband did doesn't happen "over and over" each year. Child car deaths actually rare, I think there's only been 16 cases this year (and that's VERY rare.)

I stand by my earlier thoughts on her. She was hoping for an acquittal with the belief they still had a future together. She's remains under the spell of a monster who brutally tortured and killed her only child.

Sick. They're both sick.
RBBM, it does happen. It is not rare. It happens often enough in GA that May 27, 2014 not even a full month from that date June 18, 2014 when Cooper died. The Gov did the immediate media release of the campaign his office and others had been working on. It is not some trivial matter. It happen, and happens often. Too often.

Just this past Aug a GA father left his 15 month old TWINS in hot car and they died.

Father Indicted in Twins' Hot Car Death
Asa North is facing second-degree murder charges for leaving the girls in a hot car outside a Carrollton apartment complex.
By Tim Darnell (Patch Staff) - September 1, 2016 11:38 am ET http://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/father-indicted-twins-hot-car-death
>>>>>
Heatstroke Deaths of Children in Vehicles
by Jan Null, CCM
Department of Meteorology & Climate Science
San Jose State University
Updated October 31, 2016

Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2016: 39
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2015: 24
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 1998-present: 700
Average number of U.S. child heatstroke fatalities per year since 1998: 37

2016.JPG

RBBM, it does happen. It is not rare. It happens often enough in GA that May 27, 2014 not even a full month from that date June 18, 2014 when Cooper died. The Gov did the immediate media release of the campaign his office and others had been working on. It is not some trivial matter. It happen, and happens often. Too often.

Just this past Aug a GA father left his 15 month old TWINS in hot car and they died.

Father Indicted in Twins' Hot Car Death
Asa North is facing second-degree murder charges for leaving the girls in a hot car outside a Carrollton apartment complex.
By Tim Darnell (Patch Staff) - September 1, 2016 11:38 am ET http://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/father-indicted-twins-hot-car-death
>>>>>
Heatstroke Deaths of Children in Vehicles
by Jan Null, CCM
Department of Meteorology & Climate Science
San Jose State University
Updated October 31, 2016

Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2016: 39
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2015: 24
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 1998-present: 700
Average number of U.S. child heatstroke fatalities per year since 1998: 37

View attachment 104653

35 children per year on average is considered extremely rare. Even 300 would be considered rare Extremely.

I can screenshot the screenshot---I really don't know how to link a comment to a secret group on facebook.
Everything on the MSM site was exactly what was said in her post.

Thanks, if it came from a secret fb it would be considered by WS rules as rumor. Thanks anyway. I just know MSM doesn't always put everything in all articles. And somethings are taken out of context. I trust you when you say was same though. Thanks again.

I don't take what Kilgore says as being what the jury would feel if Ross was cross examined by the State. This jury obviously disagreed with him by voting guilty on all counts.

I stand by my opinion that the jury was influenced by the testimony about unrelated sex crimes, If the defense had Ross testify it would exacerbate that problem for the defense.

JMO

But so far the jurors are saying things about his interview with LE and the trip to the car with the lightbulbs.
Those are also the things they asked to review in court. They did not ask for transcripts or read backs of sexting testimony.

I needed some good news this week. I always thought this was murder made to look like an accident! Justice for Cooper Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Minette View Post
The 5th amendment prevents the state from compelling you to testify to things that will incriminate YOU. It does not prevent you from being compelled to testify to things that incriminate others (and I believe that Georgia does not recognize spousal privilege in the death of a child.) So, as long as she was not testifying about things that would give the state grounds to charge her, she had no right to invoke the 5th. I personally think the risk she took was in testifying for the defense if she was in any way guilty of Cooper's death. I don't personally believe that she was, though I find her readiness to 'stand by her man' even in the face of all the evidence that he deliberately left Cooper to die pretty repugnant.
I'm well aware of the protections afforded by the 5th amendment. Leanna was under suspicion, at least at one point. She would have absolutely had the right to refuse to testify about Cooper's death and everything leading up to it if she had chosen to assert that right.

Well as a Verified Attorney I would say you should ;) kinda goes with the job :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie