The Significance of the town of 'BABYLON'

Discussion in 'Long Island Serial Killer' started by Seaslug44, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Just K

Just K New Member

The NY Dolls can only add fuel to the extremists fire... they probably blame the Dolls, Iggy Pop and Lou Reed for something, too.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwD261MHsc"]walk on the wild side ~ lou reed - YouTube[/ame]

2. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

It's settled - pin it on the nefarious influence of the Dolls, one of the few - possibly the only - pop cultural reference-source to combine Babylon NY with prostitute-friendly professions:
    If they'd have had CraigsList back in the day, you just know David Johansen would have worked it into the song someplace!

3. Baily

Baily New Member

I've read most of this thread-I'M NOT GETTING IT. I really don't see a tie in but FWIW I believe that Robert Moses actually lived in Oak Beach, just east of the OBI.

4. Lil'E

Lil'E New Member

I read all these posts and notice one thing that is not metioned and I haven't yet searched for proper documentation, but will. They very first person to die of aids was linked to Fire Island. Apparently it was the only place where a gay males could gather openly. I am off to search for info to post, what I have stated so far is just from my basic recollections of the disease.

Ok, I searched and cannot find the exact documentary I watched but did find an article.
    http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsID.531/news_detail.asp

5. claudicici

claudicici Well-Known Member

I think the killer is definitely aware of the meaning of Babylon and wrapping the bodies in burlap but I think if he was a Muslim extremist he would be proud of the killings and he would have revealed himself by now and openly came out with the message he was sending.Instead IMO it's an educated white male who likes to use these little hints for excitement and to see if people "get" it and if it leads to a discussion like this one.I'm sure he's enjoying the fact that someone was smart enough to notice.

wait this is interesting ,just read this on the AC murder thread : ". Auslander says the fact that all of the victims' heads were pointed east and none of the victims was wearing shoes makes him suspect a Muslim did the killings, referencing the common Muslim practice to pray barefooted facing east.
    The fact is that his sister, who lives on Long island is a practicing muslim, married into it. "

6. Just K

Just K New Member

ITA with your entire post...serial killers are notorious chameleons and they take bits and pieces from others in order to complete their own identities or to enhance their extreme reasoning. So yes, a white male taking bits and pieces from different religious practices is probably a good bet...AC Moslem influence, GB4 both Christian and Moslem.

ETA: This is not about Religion. It is about control and taking what doesn't belong to him.

7. Dwntwnslim

Dwntwnslim Former Member

Khalil is an Arabic name.

WikipediA
    Khalil (surname)
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_%28surname%29[/ame]

"Khalil or Halil (Arabic: خليل ) means friend. It is a common male first name in the Middle East, North Africa, Central Asia and South Asia. It is also a common surname having origins in the Middle East (largely concentrated in Arabia)."

Arabs practice many religions including but not limited to Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Druze..

WikipediA
    Arab people
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_people"]Arab people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

**Please see the Religion section of the Arab people WikipediA.

8. dcgrumpy

dcgrumpy New Member

I'm not saying it's not an Arabic name. But I wouldn't guess someone's religion based strictly on their first name. All 3 of my kids have Hebrew names and we're Catholic. I just happen to like the names

9. Dwntwnslim

Dwntwnslim Former Member

My post wasn't directed at you dc. I'm so sorry I gave you that impression!

I actually meant to quote the post you quoted from Seaslug.

I was attempting to point out that just because a person has an Arabic name, it doesn't necessarily mean that person is Muslim.

10. dcgrumpy

dcgrumpy New Member

Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood

11. LindsayLohan6

LindsayLohan6 Former Member

Wow great theory slug!! :notgood: seems kind of racially ignorant to assume any african-american with a "muslim" sounding name is jihad. Not only muslims are named Akeem sorry, anyone can be named akeem, even a chinese morman. anybody can be named anything. like you said "muslims can indeed have the name "Alexander" :tantrum: ....sounds like your theory is quite prejudiced IMO

12. LISleuth

LISleuth Member

Wow!

Have't figured out the serial killer yet so it must be a Muslim? That is the trend! Arabs & Muslims have always been targeted for being the bad guy, from the movies to the news. And now on WS. SMH...

:waitasec:

13. LINative13

LINative13 New Member

sounds good to me. I don't see any other religion chopping peoples heads off on youtube.

Sallyla likes this.
  14. ellemo

ellemo Active Member

I am a big believer in Occam's razor -- the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.
    The killer is most likely one man – possibly with a partner – who was raised on/ or was drawn to fire-and-brimstone type religious beliefs. There is nothing that suggests anything different

If I had to guess, I would assume the killer was Christian, because (1) statistically there are more Christians in the US and (2) Christian zealots love to talk about the Whore of Babylon (See Westboro Baptist Church as one example)

While you seem surprised and excited to find out Biblical references to Babylon, these are not obscure references. Jews, Christians and Muslims faiths all reference Babylon. Whore of Babylon, as far as I know is strictly a Christian reference as the Jewish and Muslim faiths do not believe in the Book of Revelations, where the whore is mentioned. In the Old Testament (thus the only reference of Babylon for Jews and Muslins), Babylon is the site where men try to build a tower that will reach the sky. It is struck down and men are scattered around the earth, all speaking different languages. Nothing about whores or women.

Babylon, or more specifically the whore of Babylon, is widely referenced in popular culture. Christian Zealots in movies or TV or always spouting off about the Whore of Babylon. As an example, she was referenced in Dexter, a series about serial killers, by one of the serial killers

So the killer just needs some influence from pop culture/ Christian religious zealots to create this belief that killing these woman are what god wants. I don’t think it is anything organized like a great conspiracy or a religious cult.

15. marble

marble Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, LINative13, I missed where the heads were chopped off of the Atlantic City and Gilgo Beach victims. I also missed where the beheadings of these particular victims of a serial killer were videotaped as propaganda and distributed widely in order to send a political message. But sure, given all of the murderers who have decapitated their victims in the U.S. and what a small number of them identify as Muslims, they must just all be secretly Muslim and hiding the fact or something?

IMHO Occam's razor tells me that there is no significance to "Babylon" and the name is coincidental.

16. ellemo

ellemo Active Member

Yes, I guess that an even simpler explanation than my post. :thinking:. Probably more likely too. Could be the guy grew up on Long Island and knows the area.

17. Emre E

Emre E Active Member

I really don't get the point of this thread at all. I intended to correct some material mistakes at first but then I said f... it. Just one thing, find Akeem Cruz's facebook page, he makes himself very clear about his affiliation and it's not religion.

Seaslug you used to post truly remarkable stuff but this thread is full of c..p. What I understand is Maureen was killed because she was named Maureen, if her name were "Tammy Lynn Cummingley" she would be alive now?

Anyway, I will not write further on this thread so please do not ask questions.

18. ps149

ps149 New Member

The bump-up of this discussion about Babylon goes out to the newbie who posted over the weekend about the Town of Babylon sign near the GB4 bodies and how Babylon has some sort of meaning. I read through this and it's basically the same thing you are sayin'

19. ps149

ps149 New Member

WOW the Whore of Babylon.

20. Fabra

Fabra Member

How about this one from Steely Dan? It's off the Gaucho album.

Anyone else think there are some eerie similarities?

"Babylon Sisters" (bold added for emphasis)

Drive west on Sunset
    To the sea
    Turn that jungle music down
    Just until we're out of town
    This is no one night stand
    It's a real occasion
    Close your eyes and you'll be there

It's everything they say
    The end of a perfect day
    Distant lights from across the bay
    Babylon sisters shake it
    Babylon sisters shake it
    So fine so young

Tell me I'm the only one

Here come those Santa Ana winds again
    We'll jog with show folk on the sand
    Drink kirschwasser from a shell
    San Francisco show and tell
    Well I should know by now
    That it's just a spasm
    Like a Sunday in T.J.
    That it's cheap but it's not free
    That I'm not what I used to be

And that love's not a game for three
    Babylon sisters shake it
    Babylon sisters shake it
    So fine so young
    Tell me I'm the only one
    My friends say no don't go
    For that cotton candy
    Son you're playing with fire
    The kid will live and learn
    As he watches his bridges burn
    From the point of no return
    Babylon sisters shake it
    Babylon sisters shake it
    So fine so young
    Tell me I'm the only one

And here's some interpretation of lyrics from Songfacts.com (Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan - Songfacts):

"Babylon Sisters" - Fallen women, fallen and degenerate lifestyles - he realizes he is getting too old for this shallow experiences.

"Cotton Candy" - Nose candy, a reference to cocaine.

"Tell me I'm the only One" - A delusional reference to relationships with prostitutes, as he wants to believe he's more than just a client.

Babylon is Biblical, about a fallen people. Steely Dan uses it as an analogy to indulgent lifestyles and self-destructive behavior, a theme that also shows up in their song "Kid Charlemagne." In this case, the narrator is indulging in prostitutes. >>

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 8:46 PM