Missing pregnant Shanann Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit.

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Tulessa, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest.

The hermit set out of camp at midnight, carrying his backpack and his bag of break-in tools, and threaded through the forest, rock to root to rock, every step memorized. Not a boot print left behind. It was cold and nearly moonless, a fine night for a raid, so he hiked about an hour to the Pine Tree summer camp, a few dozen cabins spread along the shoreline of North Pond in central Maine. With an expert twist of a screwdriver, he popped open a door of the dining hall and slipped inside, scanning the pantry shelves with his penlight.

Five pages long, but definitely worth the read!

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit?currentPage=1

2. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

3. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

Ooops! Woofy!

4. Knitty

Knitty Member

I would like to think that some of our missing persons here at websleuths have chosen this, are out there, somewhere, content.

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

It's okay, T.! I'd almost forgotten I'd done that thread. Anyway, anyone interested can click on my link to see older articles on that thread, then come back and discuss here.

6. Donamena

Donamena Former Member

I'm curious about why, if his family had 50 or so wooded acres, he chose to go elsewhere? It's fascinating, but very 'Asperger's' like someone I know.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Bumping this good read.

8. bcf

bcf Member

I loved this part near the end: