The Theater and the Shooting

Discussion in 'Movie Theater Massacre in Colorado' started by JBean, Jul 26, 2012.

1. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

Some of you have been putting information together about the theater itself.
    Please discuss here.

2. DevilsPlayThing

DevilsPlayThing New Member

When you purchase a ticket for a specific movie - you do not know which theatre the movie plays until the ticket is handed to you. The reason for the midnight showing was due to the release date of July 20. This being the premiere. So anytime after midnight on Thursday is fairgame - instead of just waiting until Friday opening morning.

Anyways knowing that you have a ticket for theatre 9 which you just purchased and most likely had no control over as however many theatres are showing Dark Knight - weather it be the 12:00 - the 12:10 - the 12:20 and so on - you would most likely say 1 for Dark Knight. Possibly 12:00 showing and if it is not sold out you are handed a ticket it would say theatre 9.

Ok now you know where you're gonna be. And you go take your seat. How from sitting in your seat would you know the relation to the front parking lot - where you presumably just parked - to the exit door of theatre 9 to have your car there. The movie complex is huge. No way could you know by looking at your ticket that just says 9 that you could park right outside of it.

Some witness accounts say JH purchased ticket went directly to 9 and took his seat. Went to exit stage left with phone and motioned to someone.

The only way it would make sense is if he was showing a driver where the entrance {exit} is. Then JH is not seen again in street clothes. If you listen to the 911 tape the suspect is wearing a plaid shirt. Either a second person is all geared up and enters or JH changes into gear.

3. Liz

Liz I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo

Interesting post! But I think the shootings were in Theater 9.

I haven't been to the theater in a few years but could JH have arrived early and asked to be seated in Theater 9?

I'm pretty sure that JH exited, and re-entered, on the right side of the theater.

4. DevilsPlayThing

I am getting sleepy and trying to go by memory of watching numerous newsclips. The basic idea is the same. Oh I missed a question. How he would know which theatres are sold out and which are not at time of purchase when all showings ended up being sold out is more likely to purchase the usual way ask for one for Dark Knight at certain time. Asking for a ticket for Dark Knight Theatre 9 would just coincide with a certain time. And if that showing was sold out - they would have sold him a ticket for the next showing. Which would have been in a completely different theatre.

5. KayDunn

KayDunn New Member

6. DevilsPlayThing

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/hold_that_suspect_transcript_shows_Ue328L8ICj9Co1B2E9dYLN

7. rollinginit

rollinginit Active Member

Sounds like they didn't know exactly who the shooter was in that moment or how many there were. Somebody on here posted in the General thread last night a full detailed timeline (from I think Reddit). It seems as if they were also dealing with the mall also.

8. rollinginit

rollinginit Active Member

9. February

February Member

Hello

I am still trying to understand how the bullets also reached Theater 8 .
    I understand that it penetrated the wall per the news but still i am having some doubts...

Some shots fired in theater 9 penetrated the walls of adjacent auditoriums, hitting at least one person in theater 8 next door.

Read more: Family identifies 27-year-old victim of Aurora theater shooting - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...le-shot-at-aurora-movie-theater#ixzz21l6WhRFk
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

10. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Since the tickets were purchased in advance he would know what theater it was playing in (house 9). He probably bought the ticket 2-3 days beforehand and visited the theater to check out house 9 ahead of time. He would probably want to scope out the exits etc...

Then that night he either parked right outside the back door, or moved his car closer after he stepped out the back.

11. DevilsPlayThing

[video=youtube;t7Pfqm_n7Vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Pfqm_n7Vk[/video]

4 Hours 40 Minutes Aurora Police Scanner 20 July 2012.

Feeds include the Colorado Mutual-aid from other agencies, The Aurora Fire Rescue, Aurora P.D.

12. Footwarrior

Footwarrior Well-Known Member

The wall between theater 8 and 9 was probably little more than drywall. Rifle bullets would penetrate such a wall easily.

13. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

The interior walls between the theaters would be thin and heavily padded to block sound.

High caliber bullets would go through them like butter. That is a basic home defense tactic, if you know an intruder is in the house you don't need to see them, shoot them through the walls/interior doors before they see you.

14. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Good link but I couldn't get it to play correctly (would start but stall). It is interesting to hear the first responders/cops, most sound stressed but calm, some sound like they are freaking out, some victims can be heard wailing. The female dispatcher is awesome, fast, accurate and professional. Here is an 18 min scanner recording that does seem to work: [video=youtube;DkUi6q5kgbU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkUi6q5kgbU&feature=related[/video]

15. pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo New Member

why did he leave the theater in the first place? Anyone know why he left?

16. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

The first time? To get his weapons and smoke bombs, and put on his armor and gas mask.

17. pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo New Member

No, I meant the second time... why did he leave? Why didnt the police find him shooting people in the theater? what prompted him to leave?

18. zvzvzv

zvzvzv New Member

there was a young male survivor who reported using a rear exit
    while he was helping an injured girl, they were outside
    when JH came toward them from outside, the young man
    managed to get back in & lock JH outside.
    i'll try to find the interview.

EDIT: the reason i guess he left the second time
    was to get another weapon? maybe he didn't realize
    how difficult it would be to reload in the dark in a gas-mask
    while wearing gloves.

19. scorekeeper

scorekeeper New Member

he wasn't dressed in his full gear (full body armour, gas mask and toting a shot gun and assault rifle, two tear gas cannisters) when he first entered the theatre was he?

Thought he left to get dressed and get his weapons......

20. zvzvzv

zvzvzv New Member