The Theater and the Shooting

per the police scanner

45:00 I really need somebody to confirm the white vehicle outside the theater plates. Check white vehicle tag 119ROC (James Holmes) "Check with key witnesses inside the theater. We need to confirm suspect descriptions (black SWAT police uniform, gas mask and helmet, no one saw face. 5' 9" tall shooter but James Holmes is 6' 3"). I want to make sure we're not looking for anybody else." (So the investigation and search for suspects ends right here. No mention of James Holmes' name.)

1:10:30 Hyundai Accent Tennessee plate 074VPD suspected bomb third vehicle directly in front of doors, "possible it's just a thermos but hard to tell."

1:12:20 Vehicle tag 074VPD "clear address in Columbia Tennessee" (Heather Wolfe Smith and school teacher Lucas Smith who was shot from Knoxville TN?)

according to this report the smiths drove themselves to the hosiptal , I am assume that car is not theirs
http://www.wate.com/story/19076029/...olorado-theater-shooting?clienttype=printable

Someone asked upthread (I think it's this thread) the question, how many of the theaters was The Dark Knight Rises playing in at the Century 16. Chief Oates, in the video of his press conference, in this link, says it was showing in four of the theaters there (see 5:56 minutes), and they were all sold out.

Also, for those interested in hearing straight from the Chief's mouth about the joker comment, it can be found at approx 11:58 mark into the video.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/live-c...ra-colorado-batman-dark-knight-rises-shooting

Someone asked upthread (I think it's this thread) the question, how many of the theaters was The Dark Knight Rises playing in at the Century 16. Chief Oates, in the video of his press conference, in this link, says it was showing in four of the theaters there (see 5:56 minutes), and they were all sold out.

Also, for those interested in hearing straight from the Chief's mouth about the joker comment, it can be found at approx 11:58 mark into the video.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/live-c...ra-colorado-batman-dark-knight-rises-shooting

I can't watch video here, but the article says Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates would not confirm that information (the Joker), but did say he had spoken to Kelly?

I can't watch video here, but the article says Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates would not confirm that information (the Joker), but did say he had spoken to Kelly?

Yes. I remember hearing it LIVE now. And saying to myself (after hearing Oates confirm that he spoken to Ray Kelly earlier in the day), "Well there's your confirmation". From what I've seen of NYPC Kelly, he wouldn't just go making stuff up, out of thin air. MOO

Yes. I remember hearing it LIVE now. And saying to myself (after hearing Oates confirm that he spoken to Ray Kelly earlier in the day), "Well there's your confirmation". From what I've seen of NYPC Kelly, he wouldn't just go making stuff up, out of thin air. MOO

I live in NYC and I can see him greatly exaggerating, 100%... he's a grandstander and is known for it. In fact, after his press conference (which was totally unnecessary), my friends were all posting on twitter "here we go again, with his ridiculousness"

The "painted his hair red" comment was bizarre in and of itself.

1:10:30 Hyundai Accent Tennessee plate 074VPD suspected bomb third vehicle directly in front of doors, "possible it's just a thermos but hard to tell."

Was this TN car the a green one mentioned on the police or fire radio? I still haven't listened to the scanner info--is there a full transciption anywhere?

I'll try to find the video (it may have been the one posted for me and Donyale by someone--was it Hastings Chi?) which showed the back (Sable side) of the theater. There were 3-4 cars parked back there and in the night time video, you could see the police blocking off and inspecting one about 3 cars or so in from the corner. I'll try to find the link.

Was this TN car the a green one mentioned on the police or fire radio? I still haven't listened to the scanner info--is there a full transciption anywhere?

I'll try to find the video (it may have been the one posted for me and Donyale by someone--was it Hastings Chi?) which showed the back (Sable side) of the theater. There were 3-4 cars parked back there and in the night time video, you could see the police blocking off and inspecting one about 3 cars or so in from the corner. I'll try to find the link.

Out of all video I have watched, this one is the most telling. It shows exactly the parking situation in the front, side, and back of the theater during all the chaos.

At the 6:00 minute mark, the chopper starts to follow a police car around back to JH's car. You can clearly see that there were two or three cars parked around his car (one looks to be a SUV or a van, and two cars). If you were sitting on the trunk of JH's car, you would be staring at the two cars parked there.

Batman Movie shooting - Rare Footage! Aurora Massacre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFIRY0JUbA

I live in NYC and I can see him greatly exaggerating, 100%... he's a grandstander and is known for it. In fact, after his press conference (which was totally unnecessary), my friends were all posting on twitter "here we go again, with his ridiculousness"

The "painted his hair red" comment was bizarre in and of itself.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and those of your friends, as NYC residents. As a non-resident of NYC, my own views are quite different.

As 1010 WINS’ , Carol D’Auria, reports in the audio link found here:
"The NYPD is trying to raise everyone's comfort level and prevent copycats and that's why NYC Police Commissioner, Ray Kelly, has increased police presence at all theaters where the Batman movie is playing.".

"Since he took over as police commissioner in the aftermath of 9/11, Kelly’s most critical mission has been to thwart all terrorist threats against the city", and he’s aimed to do that, in some cases, even before a plot is entirely clear to the plotters themselves."

If people wish to consider Kelly's press conference, "grandstanding (which imo, was to alert the people of NYC to the potential of a possible far more wide-reaching plot), that's their prerogative. I call it proactively protecting the people of and in NYC; residents and toursists, alike. From my point of view, if that's "grandstanding", then I heartily applaud it. IMO, Taxpayers of NYC should as well, as it is the commissioner's job to do just that. Plus, it protects NYC against lawsuits of the like, which are now being brought against the Aurora theater; and most likely I'd guess, the University of Colorado and Dr. Fenton, as well.

As for Kelly's, "he had his hair painted red' comment as being "bizarre in and of itself" - I didn't consider it as bizarre in the least, upon hearing it. I just figured Kelly was alluding to the fact that the suspect's hair may have been painted, with hair products that are quite commonly used today, such as this: Amazon.com: Temporary Spray In Hair Color (Purple): Everything Else.

The record, however, is hard to argue with: at least 14 full-blown terrorist attacks have been prevented or failed on Kelly’s watch. Beyond terrorism, New Yorkers are safer today than anyone might have thought possible 20 years ago.

Does anyone else wonder if any of the moviegoers had weapons of their own and returned fire? Could that have been the confusion to more than one suspect being involved?

Just a thought that's been bugging me.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and those of your friends, as NYC residents. As a non-resident of NYC, my own views are quite different.

"The NYPD is trying to raise everyone's comfort level and prevent copycats and that's why NYC Police Commissioner, Ray Kelly, has increased police presence at all theaters where the Batman movie is playing.".

"Since he took over as police commissioner in the aftermath of 9/11, Kelly’s most critical mission has been to thwart all terrorist threats against the city", and he’s aimed to do that, in some cases, even before a plot is entirely clear to the plotters themselves."

If people wish to consider Kelly's press conference, "grandstanding (which imo, was to alert the people of NYC to the potential of a possible far more wide-reaching plot), that's their prerogative. I call it proactively protecting the people of and in NYC; residents and toursists, alike. From my point of view, if that's "grandstanding", then I heartily applaud it. IMO, Taxpayers of NYC should as well, as it is the commissioner's job to do just that. Plus, it protects NYC against lawsuits of the like, which are now being brought against the Aurora theater; and most likely I'd guess, the University of Colorado and Dr. Fenton, as well.

As for Kelly's, "he had his hair painted red' comment as being "bizarre in and of itself" - I didn't consider it as bizarre in the least, upon hearing it. I just figured Kelly was alluding to the fact that the suspect's hair may have been painted, with hair products that are quite commonly used today, such as this: Amazon.com: Temporary Spray In Hair Color (Purple): Everything Else.

I agree with you. He was just doing his job. The only problem I have with the "red hair" comment was Colorado police would not give out that detail nor release the suspect's mugshot so the question is if there was a fear of copycats across the nation, why would it not come from Colorado police department or the FBI? Perhaps because of the 9/11 tragedy and it is understadable that the commissioner would want to warn the residents but sadly, NYC is not the only target for mass murder copycats. As a matter of fact, weren't there 2 copycats shortly after this occurred. In Maryland and Maine?

Maybe it's just me but I just don't understand some of the actions taken by CPD after this crime occurred. Maybe we'll find out when this case finally goes to trial and we'll all understand why they did what they did or didn't do. :moo:

Does anyone else wonder if any of the moviegoers had weapons of their own and returned fire? Could that have been the confusion to more than one suspect being involved?

Excellent thinking, ~n/t~, imo!

This morning CNN reported on a fire in an Aurora apartment fire that killed two and injured 15. In reporting the news they went out of their way to mention the apartment was less than a block from Holmes' apartment but they don't think there is a connection.

Here's the story reported by KUSA, the CNN report was on tv.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2

I've heard it mentioned several times, on those "news" shows where people basically yell at each other, that guns were not allowed in the theater even by an individual with a concealed carry permit.
(Note: I could be wrong, I've honesty have tried to avoid those shows that are so lazy and uninspired that they use an tragedy like this to focus on political issues and avoid focusing on the tough reality of the victims, the aftermath, investigate how this happened and try to understand why it happened.)

This morning CNN reported on a fire in an Aurora apartment fire that killed two and injured 15. In reporting the news they went out of their way to mention the apartment was less than a block from Holmes' apartment but they don't think there is a connection.

Here's the story reported by KUSA, the CNN report was on tv.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 2

Wow. Aurora is getting its share of tragedies, eh? So sad. :(

They say it's not connected but still suspicious that it's less than a block away. Coincidence? Hope we'll find out what started the fire.

I've heard it mentioned several times, on those "news" shows where people basically yell at each other, that guns were not allowed in the theater even by an individual with a concealed carry permit.
(Note: I could be wrong, I've honesty have tried to avoid those shows that are so lazy and uninspired that they use an tragedy like this to focus on political issues and avoid focusing on the tough reality of the victims, the aftermath, investigate how this happened and try to understand why it happened.)

Thanks Hastings. IF they don't have metal detectors, how would one know? They didn't even have security guards.

Anyway, I'm not saying it as fact that perhaps someone had a gun other than the suspect but it has crossed my mind numerous times especially with the reports from eye witnesses alleging a second suspect.

Liz : I pretty much agree with your thoughts on this, I just wanted to add that it is well known (at least to NYers & politicos) that Kelly is a likely candidate (and front-runner) to become NYC's next Mayor; this might explain the poster's grandstanding comment...

Thanks Hastings. IF they don't have metal detectors, how would one know? They didn't even have security guards.

Anyway, I'm not saying it as fact that perhaps someone had a gun other than the suspect but it has crossed my mind numerous times especially with the reports from eye witnesses alleging a second suspect.

IDK. I really don't know anything about guns (except the guns I get from working out LMAO, so just kidding...); so I'm the least credible person to chime in on this but IDK you're sitting in a dark theater, suddenly bullets are flying everywhere, people are panicking and running for their lives, its dark and smokey, hard to tell who is who (gunman in all black, theater dark), you have a gun in this chaos but are you confident enough in who your target is and in your ability not to hit an innocent victim? But like I said I know nothing about guns.

Quote pulled from story, dated 7/31:

"A man was arrested after cops say he walked into a movie theater near Aurora, Colo. with a gun on his waist."

He had a concealed carry permit. The article states the police department and the prosecutor are still looking into the charge, as CO is an open carry state. I recall reading something about Mapes wanting an apology from TPD.

As a non resident, it's easy to cherry pick one press conference that looks like he's doing something positive.

As a resident, I see grandstanding and placing already overworked and underpaid cops into movie theaters strictly for show.

Believe me, those cops could be better used elsewhere. Perhaps Kelly could be using them in his other initiative to "keep us safe", stopping and frisking people on the street simply because they are the wrong color.

Way too much happening under the guise of "safety" here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back