The Trial When-Where -What

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA but casey is, as you say, a dreamer - and i'm starting to honestly believe that jose baez enjoys the apparent hero worship too much to admit the truth and look like anything less.

:clap::clap::clap: when wuld it be to late to file for what is obvious???? i.e., change of venue...thought he already submitted the paper work for this along with saying no thank you to speedy trial? Seems like half his work is submitted at hearings.....:waitasec:

JB has not filed any paperwork for a change in venue - I don't know what taking him so long other than maybe don't change the venue and then she will surely get another trial for lack of smart counsel

BAEZ: Oh, absolutely. We've already completed our motion for change of venue. We're set to hear the -- have a hearing shortly. Exactly when, though, of course, would depend on the calendar of the judge.

I snipped this from the transcript of his interview with Greta on Friday night.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The attorney for Casey Anthony is expected to ask for a change of venue for her trial.

Attorney Jose Baez is expected to request the change this week.

Legal experts and other attorneys said they can't imagine the judge holding the trial in Orlando because of all the publicity the case has attracted.

http://www.wesh.com/news/18510496/detail.html

BAEZ: Oh, absolutely. We've already completed our motion for change of venue. We're set to hear the -- have a hearing shortly. Exactly when, though, of course, would depend on the calendar of the judge.

We have to remember this is the SAME lawyer who filed the waiver for Casey not to appear in court, that same morning

He doesn't seem to file either the appropriate forms, or the forms on time

I wonder if this simple task will get messed up too

We have to remember this is the SAME lawyer who filed the waiver for Casey not to appear in court, that same morning

He doesn't seem to file either the appropriate forms, or the forms on time

I wonder if this simple task will get messed up too

Good point. :)

It's like he's trying to make the case for ineffective counsel.

Anthony Attorney Expected To Seek Change Of Venue
Trial Could Be Moved To Jacksonville, Miami

POSTED: 9:54 am EST January 19, 2009
It's not clear exactly when the change of venue motion will be filed, but it could come as early as this week.

What I don't understand is that it was said that Baez already filed the motion for the change of venue and that was going to be heard on Jan 15 but had to be rescheduled. Baez also stated he wanted to move forward with the case in March, but no date had been given.

Anthony Attorney Expected To Seek Change Of Venue
Trial Could Be Moved To Jacksonville, Miami

POSTED: 9:54 am EST January 19, 2009
It's not clear exactly when the change of venue motion will be filed, but it could come as early as this week.

What I don't understand is that it was said that Baez already filed the motion for the change of venue and that was going to be heard on Jan 15 but had to be rescheduled. Baez also stated he wanted to move forward with the case in March, but no date had been given.

I vote for Miami.

Good point. :)

It's like he's trying to make the case for ineffective counsel.

No, why do people say this - JB isn't doing any of this on purpose - he's in over his head - he's NOT a murder trial lawyer - he does DUI's and assaults

Everyone needs to stop saying that JB is doing all this on purpose - if that were the case he'd lose his license to practice and most likely be disbarred forever

I think JB should ask for it to be moved to the moon or perhaps the space station. Either location would be appropriate since the whole bizarre case is already beyond anything we have ever seen on the face of the earth. ;)

I think they should move it to Daytona. I don't believe Casey mentioned anyone from there as being related or part of her story. She has involved Jacksonville and Miami.

I went back to when the change of venue first came up.
December 11, 2008

A status hearing -- expected to last about 10 minutes -- is scheduled at 9 a.m. before Orange Circuit Court Judge Stan Strickland. No motions are to be addressed.

Anthony's defense attorney Jose Baez has spoken several times this week about change-of-venue issues because of the media coverage, and plans to file a motion about it. Baez:"We have done extensive research -- that's why the motion has not been filed yet," Baez said Wednesday at a news conference outside his Kissimmee office. "We want to be able to analyze the coverage in all the media markets in the state of Florida . . . We are compiling it together and preparing our motion."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-casey1108dec11,0,3544819.story

So is Baez waiting on someone else to file the motion for him? It seems he wants the SA to do all the leg work when it comes to the case and keeps talking about a change of venue since Dec 11 and he still has not filed the motion? But last week he claimed he did? I am sooo confused. :waits:

"Snipped from Sammi99"

I think JB should ask for it to be moved to the moon or perhaps the space station. Either location would be appropriate since the whole bizarre case is already beyond anything we have ever seen on the face of the earth. ;)

I think they should move it to Daytona. I don't believe Casey mentioned anyone from there as being related or part of her story. She has involved Jacksonville and Miami.

There are people that don't know anything about this case at all - it's not the end all of news stories - I brought it up with girlfriend and she had no clue about the case

Some people do not watch the news - I know that my daughter who lived in Winter Park up until just the past Christmas - AND her boyfriend and their friends went to Full Sail (same college as Tony and Casey's friends went to) AND none of them knew about this case - NOT until I brought it up

So the trial could stay in Orlando, but if they were to move it, it could go anywhere, even those places that Casey mentions

There are people that don't know anything about this case at all - it's the end all of news stories - I brought it up with girlfriend and she had no clue about the case

Some people do not watch the news - I know that my daughter who lived in Winter Park up until just the past Christmas - AND her boyfriend and their friends went to Full Sail (same college as Tony and Casey's friends went to) AND none of them knew about this case - NOT until I brought it up

So the trial could stay in Orlando, but if they were to move it, it could go anywhere, even those places that Casey mentions

You know I agree 100 %. Its a strange thing that some are so in tune to these things and many others have heard only the name in passing if that. One never knows if the trial were to be held in the same town, it might work as well if not better for the defense.
People today have 24/7 access to the media, but many are working 2-3 jobs and barely have time to realize what day it is. I know that's how it was when I owned my own business about 5 yrs. ago before I got sick.
There were days that I forgot I hadn't eaten in 12 hrs. let alone pay any attention too the news.

So really who's to say that they can't find an impartial jury in the same venue.

LOL I vote Jacksonville, its only a 3 hour drive!

The only trouble with moving trials is the imposition it puts on the witnesses, attorney and family. I really could care less about the family, they'll probably stay at another 5 star hotel, :rolleyes: but the witnesses sometimes have to hang around for a couple of days.
It will cost money to keep JB, of course it appears there's an endless supply of that.

I am hoping that this change of venue will be denied. Again, the people that are innocent in this case will pay dearly and it will be costly to state and all the tax payers. It's not my fault, nor anyone else's fault for what Casey did. The judge could just say no. I would hope that would be the case. This case is nation wide and I agree what someone else mentioned earlier. There are a lot of people that don't know what is going on with the case. They jury is interviewed and carefully selected. I vote for no change of venue and hope the judge will agree..

Article says this trial will be COSTLY!

Will the Anthony's travel back and forth everyday? Or live in a hotel for the duration? Will all the 180+ witnesses be expected to pay their own way?

Orlando to Jacksonville: 139 mi – about 2 hours 13 min drive
Orlando to Miami: 237 mi – about 3 hours 42 min drive

How many people in Jacksonville/Miami probably haven't heard about this case anymore than in Orlando?

I hope one or two of the news stations do a poll in Orlando - I'll bet that you would find maybe 75% of the people have no clue about this case or only know a little bit, as in that a little girl is dead

This isn't the OJ trial - they pretty much had to move that trial - OJ a football star, movie star - same with Robert Blake

Orlando and a lot of the southern part of Florida is not the mecca of college graduates - I'm not being mean, it's true - Central Florida is a vacation/entertainment area - so I would venture to say that over 50% of the residents work in the hospitality business

I have nothing against Florida, I was going to move to Orlando, and still might

LOL I vote Jacksonville, its only a 3 hour drive!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WESH Article says this trial will be COSTLY! Ya think?

Will the Anthony's travel back and forth everyday? Or live in a hotel for the duration? Will all the 180+ witnesses be expected to pay their own way?

Orlando to Jacksonville: 139 mi – about 2 hours 13 min drive
Orlando to Miami: 237 mi – about 3 hours 42 min drive

How many people in Jacksonville/Miami probably haven't heard about this case anymore than in Orlando? Or which city wants the business?

Orlando and a lot of the southern part of Florida is not the mecca of college graduates - I'm not being mean, it's true - Central Florida is a vacation/entertainment area - so I would venture to say that over 50% of the residents work in the hospitality business

I have nothing against Florida, I was going to move to Orlando, and still might

No, it's not 50%. It's much less. The last figures I saw were 17%.

I for one am with the peeps who think the trial should take place right there where they are. Casey will receive the trial she deserves based on the facts and evidence in the case. Our constitution states we should be tried by a jury of our peers. Casey should be tried by the jury of HER peers. Even though this case has attracted much of the nation, I have faith in our judicial system and the good honest people in Orlando that they will be able to find an unbiased jury. Also, I think the cost of this trial should be taken into consideration as well, the witnesses and such should not have to travel out of that jurisdiction and the people of Florida should not have to pay to put everyone up in a hotel. I say keep her where she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401