The Trial When-Where -What

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the judge will grant a change of venue. If he doesn't and she gets convicted in Orlando..that will not be good. I mean it would be good but not for appeal reasons etc. I guarantee the trial will NOT be in Orlando or anywhere within an hour of Orlando. JMO, as always!

I hope the trial is not moved from Orange County.

No, it's not 50%. It's much less. The last figures I saw were 17%.

Hospitality quote is over 25% - Retail is over 30% - health is 35% that leaves 10% for professional services - THIS is relative to central and southern FL

Not your MBA capital

The hospitality and retail are a lot of college students and average American citizens - a lot of minorities

Orlando would be a good pull of Casey's jury peers

IMO the judge will grant a change of venue. If he doesn't and she gets convicted in Orlando..that will not be good. I mean it would be good but not for appeal reasons etc. I guarantee the trial will NOT be in Orlando or anywhere within an hour of Orlando. JMO, as always!

Casey will get an automatic appeal no matter where she's convicted - it's a her right

How likely is it that a change of venue will be granted?

It seems to be that the system wherebye you answer before a Jury of Peers means that you should be tried in the district that the the crime was committed?
It's only common sense that such people would be be more aware of the facts of the case. Surely that is the whole point.

pulling this thread out....did you all read in the daily update thread that the trial may be moved to Jacksonville? I don't think this should be done....I think Casey should be tried right there in Orlando by a jury of HER peers. I have faith in our judicial system and I don't think it would be fair to the taxpayers to have to foot the bill for this expensive trial. Just imagine all the people traveling back and forth everyday, also will they sequester(sp) the jury?

pulling this thread out....did you all read in the daily update thread that the trial may be moved to Jacksonville? I don't think this should be done....I think Casey should be tried right there in Orlando by a jury of HER peers. I have faith in our judicial system and I don't think it would be fair to the taxpayers to have to foot the bill for this expensive trial. Just imagine all the people traveling back and forth everyday, also will they sequester(sp) the jury?

I agree with you, but I'm sure it will be moved. Why give the defense the chance to complain that KC wasn't given a fair trial, because their request for it to be moved had been denied? Move it, so they can't use it as an excuse.

I agree with you, but I'm sure it will be moved. Why give the defense the chance to complain that KC wasn't given a fair trial, because their request for it to be moved had been denied? Move it, so they can't use it as an excuse.

So if it is moved the who absorbs the costs of the trial?

Think it will be August 2009. I keep thinking Gainsville for the trial. Go to a college town, kids are busy with classes, exams and social events. Definately live coverage by
one station.

I agree. I think that a person should have to stand trial in the place the crime that the perp is chaged with was committed. Fair is fair. I get the fair trial thing, I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

http://www.appealinflorida.com/#Introduction to Florida Appellate Practice

I. Introduction to Florida Appellate Practice.

Appellate practice is the field of law dedicated to presenting a case to a court of higher jurisdiction for purposes of determining whether an error was made during the trial. A party bringing an appeal (the "appellant"), who is dissatisfied with the trial court's decision or the jury's verdict, cannot retry his or her case in the appeals court. Review is limited to determining whether any mistakes were made during trial. All trials contain errors of some sort. The question here is not whether an error was made during trial, but whether the error prejudiced the party affected by it in a material way that affected the final determination of the case. That is, the appellant must show that the outcome would have been different if the mistake or error had not taken place or had been corrected by the trial court.

For an appeal to be heard, the parties must follow certain appellate rules. This article discusses some of the Florida appellate rules and the case law interpreting those rules. This article, however, is not exhaustive, nor should be it be construed as being legal advice or guidance. You should not rely upon this article for making legal decisions.

See attached link for more on the appeals process.

I agree. I think that a person should have to stand trial in the place the crime that the perp is chaged with was committed. Fair is fair. I get the fair trial thing, I understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Me too I understand why the defense would WANT to move it...but don't agree with it....in this case or any other. When the powers that be said...TO BE JUDGED BY A JURY OF THEIR PEERS...I think they meant...by the people in their own community. I am sure that many will disagree with me, but that's okay:crazy:

what could be the hold up on change of venue???? why isn't it filed for court date at least?????

what could be the hold up on change of venue???? why isn't it filed for court date at least?????

Check the daily update thread for today...there is some news about the filing which comes from the prosecution...I think....I just read that trial may be moved to Jacksonville on request of the defense.

I went back to when the change of venue first came up.
December 11, 2008

A status hearing -- expected to last about 10 minutes -- is scheduled at 9 a.m. before Orange Circuit Court Judge Stan Strickland. No motions are to be addressed.

Anthony's defense attorney Jose Baez has spoken several times this week about change-of-venue issues because of the media coverage, and plans to file a motion about it. Baez:"We have done extensive research -- that's why the motion has not been filed yet," Baez said Wednesday at a news conference outside his Kissimmee office. "We want to be able to analyze the coverage in all the media markets in the state of Florida . . . We are compiling it together and preparing our motion."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-casey1108dec11,0,3544819.story

So is Baez waiting on someone else to file the motion for him? It seems he wants the SA to do all the leg work when it comes to the case and keeps talking about a change of venue since Dec 11 and he still has not filed the motion? But last week he claimed he did? I am sooo confused. :waits:

"Snipped from Sammi99"

BAEZ: Oh, absolutely. We've already completed our motion for change of venue. We're set to hear the -- have a hearing shortly. Exactly when, though, of course, would depend on the calendar of the judge.

I snipped this from the transcript of his interview with Greta on Friday night.

All I can say is that COMPLETING the motion and FILING the motion are two different things. I can complete a letter to my friend to be mailed by the postman but until I put the letter in the mailbox (properly addressed with a stamp attached) what good is it? :)

I'm hoping this spring. It seems to me the prosecution will want to get this started asap. Do both sides have to come to an agreement on the date? If they have trouble agreeing does the judge step in and set a date? Also wondering if cameras will be allowed in?:waitasec:

Last night's NG had a guest lawyer that hinted we shouldn't expect to see a trial date until "maybe" late 2010! I know they have a lot of prep work to do, but WOW-KC had better get used to that yucky mayo cole slaw....

I really thought it would be more like late 2009 or early 2010-what does the rest of the board think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph