The Turtleneck Theory

Patsy is shown pics of JonBenet's bedroom and bathroom. This is her first reaction when she sees Pageant Crowns...

24 THOMAS HANEY: And 15?

25 PATSY RAMSEY: There is a little

1 note or something. I don't know what that is.

2 A little piece of paper.

3 THOMAS HANEY: A piece of paper on

4 the floor between the bed and the dresser

5 drawer?

6 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't know.

7 THOMAS HANEY: I don't know at this

8 point.

9 TRIP DeMUTH: What about these

10 crowns on the floor there, is that unusual? Is

11 that what that is?

12 PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah, that's a

13 little crown. Well, see, she kept them up here.

14 You know, bumped it or something, they might

15 fall off. Played with them, you know.

Couple of minutes later...she is asked about the red turtleneck on JonBenet's bathroom counter. She quickly changes the subject by becoming upset over a Pageant Crown on the counter:

22 THOMAS HANEY: Number 18?

23 TRIP DeMUTH: How about the red

24 item in the upper right-hand corner?

25 PATSY RAMSEY: I think it's a

1 little turtleneck, a little cotton turtleneck,

2 and I had wanted her to wear it to the Whites

3 and she didn't want to wear it.

4 TRIP DeMUTH: How did it end up

5 there?

6 PATSY RAMSEY: Don't remember. A

7 crown. Oh, God.

8 THOMAS HANEY: It's about 10:25.

9 Do you want to take about a ten-minute break,

10 how's that sound? We will come back.

11 PATSY RAMSEY: (Crying.) (INAUDIBLE

12 RESPONSE.)

13 (Recess taken.)

Seems to me she dodged a bullet with her histrionics.

Patsy is shown pics of JonBenet's bedroom and bathroom. This is her first reaction when she sees Pageant Crowns...

24 THOMAS HANEY: And 15?

25 PATSY RAMSEY: There is a little

1 note or something. I don't know what that is.

2 A little piece of paper.

3 THOMAS HANEY: A piece of paper on

4 the floor between the bed and the dresser

5 drawer?

6 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't know.

7 THOMAS HANEY: I don't know at this

8 point.

9 TRIP DeMUTH: What about these

10 crowns on the floor there, is that unusual? Is

11 that what that is?

12 PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah, that's a

13 little crown. Well, see, she kept them up here.

14 You know, bumped it or something, they might

15 fall off. Played with them, you know.

Couple of minutes later...she is asked about the red turtleneck on JonBenet's bathroom counter. She quickly changes the subject by becoming upset over a Pageant Crown on the counter:

22 THOMAS HANEY: Number 18?

23 TRIP DeMUTH: How about the red

24 item in the upper right-hand corner?

25 PATSY RAMSEY: I think it's a

1 little turtleneck, a little cotton turtleneck,

2 and I had wanted her to wear it to the Whites

3 and she didn't want to wear it.

4 TRIP DeMUTH: How did it end up

5 there?

6 PATSY RAMSEY: Don't remember. A

7 crown. Oh, God.

8 THOMAS HANEY: It's about 10:25.

9 Do you want to take about a ten-minute break,

10 how's that sound? We will come back.

11 PATSY RAMSEY: (Crying.) (INAUDIBLE

12 RESPONSE.)

13 (Recess taken.)

Seems to me she dodged a bullet with her histrionics.

There is a portion of Patsy's interview about the pink PJ bottoms....that another poster...or was it you? posted on another thread. She is asked about those pj bottoms...and then all of the sudden...lo and behold...her attorney asks for a "recess". Notice a pattern here???

Just went back and checked...it was you that posted the portion of the interview about the pj bottoms...I thought so.

That seemed to happen almost every time a line of questioning got too close to the crime. Then, as time went on, LW put even more restrictions on what his clients would be allowed to be asked. He would not allow LE to ask any questions that had already been asked. And he got away with it. His reasoning was SO transparent that anyone could see. He wanted to be sure the Rs didn't contradict themselves by changing their stories or by saying something that differed from what they had previously said.
Try conducting a murder investigation that way. No wonder it isn't solved.
Of course, the police were so wrong not to pick up the line of questioning where it left off. They dropped the ball.

Was the red turtleneck wet or just balled up on the floor? It has to be involved if it was wet because PR said she wanted JB to wear it to the Whites. Why couldnt the soiled undies on the floor be the undies she wore to the White party? I have read that she was changed out of the size 6 Wed panties into the size 12, but there is no proof that there were any day of the week in JB size. PR doesnt remember if she bought the same for JB in her own size. so probably never exisited and the undies on the floor is the last pair she had on.so maybe there is no missing size 6, but appears pink pajama bottoms could still be unaccounted for.
if Jb did have clean undies on for the party and these soiled panties were from earlier in the day, and she had no bath in between wouldnt her butt still be dirty and smelly??? Sorry but I think you get my point?

Was the red turtleneck wet or just balled up on the floor? It has to be involved if it was wet because PR said she wanted JB to wear it to the Whites. Why couldnt the soiled undies on the floor be the undies she wore to the White party? I have read that she was changed out of the size 6 Wed panties into the size 12, but there is no proof that there were any day of the week in JB size. PR doesnt remember if she bought the same for JB in her own size. so probably never exisited and the undies on the floor is the last pair she had on.so maybe there is no missing size 6, but appears pink pajama bottoms could still be unaccounted for.
if Jb did have clean undies on for the party and these soiled panties were from earlier in the day, and she had no bath in between wouldnt her butt still be dirty and smelly??? Sorry but I think you get my point?

RTC,

From memory the red turtleneck was both wet and balled up.

Why couldnt the soiled undies on the floor be the undies she wore to the White party?
From memory again, because the underwear was left inside a pair of jeans.

I reckon, at some point Patsy changed JonBenet into the red turtleneck and whatever below.

Later someone else redressed JonBenet in the white gap top, size-12's and longjohns, e.g. this was a response to JonBenet's prior molestation, it had to be hidden, else what chance escaping justice?

The missing items are JonBenet's pink pajama bottoms, and size-6 underwear, its possible there was an intermediate staging involving the barbie nightgown which was bloodstained.

Its my thesis that there was more than one staging involving JonBenet's hence the absence of some and the absurdity of discovering the barbie nightgown in the wine-cellar, despite Patsy stating she was placed into bed wearing the red turtleneck.

Its also possible that Patsy had an alternate explanation for JonBenet's involving the red turtleneck, but which she was forced to drop for some unknown reason?

RTC,

From memory the red turtleneck was both wet and balled up.

From memory again, because the underwear was left inside a pair of jeans.

I reckon, at some point Patsy changed JonBenet into the red turtleneck and whatever below.

Later someone else redressed JonBenet in the white gap top, size-12's and longjohns, e.g. this was a response to JonBenet's prior molestation, it had to be hidden, else what chance escaping justice?

The missing items are JonBenet's pink pajama bottoms, and size-6 underwear, its possible there was an intermediate staging involving the barbie nightgown which was bloodstained.

Its my thesis that there was more than one staging involving JonBenet's hence the absence of some and the absurdity of discovering the barbie nightgown in the wine-cellar, despite Patsy stating she was placed into bed wearing the red turtleneck.

Its also possible that Patsy had an alternate explanation for JonBenet's involving the red turtleneck, but which she was forced to drop for some unknown reason?

I remember Patsy saying she put JB to bed wearing the white top. I don't recall ever seeing where Patsy said she put her to bed in the red turtleneck. We don't know who redressed JB, so we can't say Patsy didn't. We don't know if it was Patsy or someone else. We know for a fact that JB wore the white top to the White's. If JB was supposedly sleeping (or even sleepy), it is easier to leave a child in their top for sleeping rather than change the top. Much easier to pull on pajama or longjohn bottoms on a child.
It is also possible she was put in the Barbie nightie when they got home that night. I assume it is JB's blood on the nightie (has this been verified?) That would make changing it necessary. BUT- if the blood drops were small, they may not even be noticed in the typical lights of a house at night and certainly not in the WC. But JR's statement is very suspicious- when shown photos of the nightie, he says "that wasn't supposed to be there". This makes it seem as if he means the dead child in the white blanket WAS supposed to be there, but the pink nightie was not.
Actually, a dead child in a white blanket wasn't supposed to be there either. Neither are what was usually stored in the WC. So why single out the pink nightie?
The red turtleneck may play a part in the crime, maybe not. I have not seen where it was tested for blood, urine, etc.
It could also be that Patsy DID make her put it on before going to the White's (as she had wanted) but JB soiled it BEFORE going, and so wore the white top instead.

I remember Patsy saying she put JB to bed wearing the white top. I don't recall ever seeing where Patsy said she put her to bed in the red turtleneck. We don't know who redressed JB, so we can't say Patsy didn't. We don't know if it was Patsy or someone else. We know for a fact that JB wore the white top to the White's. If JB was supposedly sleeping (or even sleepy), it is easier to leave a child in their top for sleeping rather than change the top. Much easier to pull on pajama or longjohn bottoms on a child.
It is also possible she was put in the Barbie nightie when they got home that night. I assume it is JB's blood on the nightie (has this been verified?) That would make changing it necessary. BUT- if the blood drops were small, they may not even be noticed in the typical lights of a house at night and certainly not in the WC. But JR's statement is very suspicious- when shown photos of the nightie, he says "that wasn't supposed to be there". This makes it seem as if he means the dead child in the white blanket WAS supposed to be there, but the pink nightie was not.
Actually, a dead child in a white blanket wasn't supposed to be there either. Neither are what was usually stored in the WC. So why single out the pink nightie?
The red turtleneck may play a part in the crime, maybe not. I have not seen where it was tested for blood, urine, etc.
It could also be that Patsy DID make her put it on before going to the White's (as she had wanted) but JB soiled it BEFORE going, and so wore the white top instead.

According to Steve Thomas, Patsy told three separate Officers that JonBenet went to bed wearing a red turtleneck.

One has to look at photos and statements regarding the state of JonBenet's bathroom...

Unflushed toilet with feces.

Inside out pants with fecal stains.

Balled-up wet turtleneck.

Someone here had stated if JonBenet had changed her panties before going to the Whites, than her panties would have some fecal stains on them because it was obvious she did not wipe properly.

You have an unflushed toilet, soiled panties, balled-up turtleneck.

JonBenet did not go to the Whites wearing the Bloomingdale undies because there were no fecal stains on them. Someone else put those panties on her.

According to Steve Thomas, Patsy told three separate Officers that JonBenet went to bed wearing a red turtleneck.

One has to look at photos and statements regarding the state of JonBenet's bathroom...

Someone here had stated if JonBenet had changed her panties before going to the Whites, than her panties would have some fecal stains on them because it was obvious she did not wipe properly.

JonBenet did not go to the Whites wearing the Bloomingdale undies because there were no fecal stains on them. Someone else put those panties on her.
What kind of pants? Jeans or black "velvet" jeans or unknown? Do you have a link to the source of this info? Thanks!

What kind of pants? Jeans or black "velvet" jeans or unknown? Do you have a link to the source of this info? Thanks!

There was some confusion about these pants when LE discussed them with Patsy. The fact is that JB wore black VELVET pants/jeans to the White's. They where part of a 3-piece set Patsy said she bought at Gap Kids: Black velvet pants, vest and white top with silver sequin star. That is the outfit JB wore to the White's in entirety.
However, there were a pair of black pants scrunched down on the floor of either JB's bathroom or bedroom (I believe it was the bathroom) in which a pair of fecal-stained panties could be seen in the photo shown to Patsy by LE. Patsy described these as "black play pants". I don't think these were the same as the black velvet pants JB wore to the White's. I think they had been worn either earlier in the day for play or the the day before. There is also a pair of what looks like black pants on the opposite twin bed in JB's room.

I know Patsy changed her story about the red turtleneck several times. She had also said JB wore it to the White's. But when confronted with photos to the contrary, she then said she had WANTED her to wear it so they would match, but she gave in and JB wore the white Gap top. When describing the events of the evening after they arrived home, Patsy and JR both describe taking off her shoes (JR) and Patsy said she pulled off the black pants and pulled on the longjohns (after not being able to find the pink pj bottoms) and left on the Gap white shirt she was already wearing.
So we really don't know for sure exactly when and if that red turtleneck was worn that night.

I know Patsy changed her story about the red turtleneck several times. She had also said JB wore it to the White's. But when confronted with photos to the contrary, she then said she had WANTED her to wear it so they would match, but she gave in and JB wore the white Gap top. When describing the events of the evening after they arrived home, Patsy and JR both describe taking off her shoes (JR) and Patsy said she pulled off the black pants and pulled on the longjohns (after not being able to find the pink pj bottoms) and left on the Gap white shirt she was already wearing.
So we really don't know for sure exactly when and if that red turtleneck was worn that night.

Ya' know... I can certainly understand being a little foggy on what someone wore on a certain day. I can't remember what I wore yesterday. But a woman can remember not only what I wore as well as what they wore, but a woman can usually tell me what she wore last year to a certain place -- as well as what I wore at the same time (and usually even what we had to eat).

But if the black velvet pants and the white top were part of a set (along with a vest?), wouldn't it be odd that Patsy would want to break up the set by using a different top? So (just spitballing here) maybe the already discarded black pants with the soiled panties were supposed to have been worn along with the red turtleneck to match Patsy's outfit for the evening. And just maybe they were all deliberately soiled/wet/stained so they couldn't be worn, therefore leaving the Gap outfit the best alternative. This certainly could have been a great source of "disharmony" in the house, especially if it was suspected to have been a deliberate act.

Just a thought... (Doesn't at all go along with my theory, but it's not something I can dismiss without consideration.)

Ya' know... I can certainly understand being a little foggy on what someone wore on a certain day. I can't remember what I wore yesterday. But a woman can remember not only what I wore as well as what they wore, but a woman can usually tell me what she wore last year to a certain place -- as well as what I wore at the same time (and usually even what we had to eat).

But if the black velvet pants and the white top were part of a set (along with a vest?), wouldn't it be odd that Patsy would want to break up the set by using a different top? So (just spitballing here) maybe the already discarded black pants with the soiled panties were supposed to have been worn along with the red turtleneck to match Patsy's outfit for the evening. And just maybe they were all deliberately soiled/wet/stained so they couldn't be worn, therefore leaving the Gap outfit the best alternative. This certainly could have been a great source of "disharmony" in the house, especially if it was suspected to have been a deliberate act.

Just a thought... (Doesn't at all go along with my theory, but it's not something I can dismiss without consideration.)

Apparently, the white top was bought as a set with the black velvet pants and top, and JB wanted to wear it as a set. Having had a little girl myself, they like "sparkly" stuff at that age, and the white top had a silver sequin star- that would be a BIG reason JB wanted to wear the shirt, IMO.
But Patsy wanted her to wear the red turtleneck because SHE (Patsy) was wearing a red sweater with her own black velvet pants. She wanted them to match. If you have looked at some of the family photos (posted here recently from another site) you'll see that there are several shots of Patsy and JB wearing matching outfits. Patsy liked the "mother-daughter" look that was so popular when I was a kid in the '50s.
So "breaking" up the outfit isn't really that surprising for Patsy- she was more into having JB in an outfit that matched her own.
The black pants with the soiled panties inside that Patsy was shown in a photo were described by her as "black play pants" and I don't think they were the same pants as the black velvet pants JB wore to the White's. Little girls' "play pants" are usually some kind of cotton knit, elastic waist-type things. Not sweats, really, but softer and more relaxed than jeans or dressy pants.
That red turtleneck figures somewhere, somehow. Just not sure how.

I agree it would be odd for Patsy to want a set broken up... which has me puzzled about a white shirt with a STAR on the front PLUS a vest that would cover that star up? That doesn't sound like a set, does it?

I don't think JB was deliberately soiling herself. I think she had a health problem like IBS or undiagnosed celiac... perhaps constipation coupled with fecal incontinence.

I've wondered if JB had that fecal accident before going to the White's and PR didn't even know about it. I think JB might have been afraid to tell her Mom she had soiled it so she WAS in the red Turtleneck and those pants before the party but when she accidentally soiled herself she changed. Then she argued with her Mom when she saw she'd changed saying she wanted to wear the Gap white star outfit instead. It just seems like if JB's bathroom was involved at all with the rage and possible head injury on toilet or tub...PR would have cleaned up JB's bathroom and it would have been spotless. It sounds like PR made no attempt to clean that bathroom at all which makes me wonder if both she and JR had not even been in there after the fecal accident or after the party. When did PR start saying she put JB in the red Turtleneck and when did she retract? Was her testimony in response to photos?

http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/fecalincontinence/#1
"Children who are constipated may soil their underpants. Soiling happens when liquid stool from farther up in the bowel seeps past the hard stool in the rectum and leaks out. Soiling is a sign of fecal incontinence. Try to remember that your child cannot control the liquid stool and may not even know it has passed."

Apparently, the white top was bought as a set with the black velvet pants and top, and JB wanted to wear it as a set. Having had a little girl myself, they like "sparkly" stuff at that age, and the white top had a silver sequin star- that would be a BIG reason JB wanted to wear the shirt, IMO.
But Patsy wanted her to wear the red turtleneck because SHE (Patsy) was wearing a red sweater with her own black velvet pants. She wanted them to match. If you have looked at some of the family photos (posted here recently from another site) you'll see that there are several shots of Patsy and JB wearing matching outfits. Patsy liked the "mother-daughter" look that was so popular when I was a kid in the '50s.
So "breaking" up the outfit isn't really that surprising for Patsy- she was more into having JB in an outfit that matched her own.
The black pants with the soiled panties inside that Patsy was shown in a photo were described by her as "black play pants" and I don't think they were the same pants as the black velvet pants JB wore to the White's. Little girls' "play pants" are usually some kind of cotton knit, elastic waist-type things. Not sweats, really, but softer and more relaxed than jeans or dressy pants.
That red turtleneck figures somewhere, somehow. Just not sure how.
You are so right about the mother-daughter look, Patsy loved that. She also really liked the "MOTHER-DAUGHTER-SON" look and had a lot of photos with her kids without her hubby. The photos which include JR's kids are quite telling. The body language and outfit choices clearly show the division...it is very much JR and "HIS KIDS" and PR and "HER KIDS."

I agree it would be odd for Patsy to want a set broken up... which has me puzzled about a white shirt with a STAR on the front PLUS a vest that would cover that star up? That doesn't sound like a set, does it?

I don't think JB was deliberately soiling herself. I think she had a health problem like IBS or undiagnosed celiac... perhaps constipation coupled with fecal incontinence.

I've wondered if JB had that fecal accident before going to the White's and PR didn't even know about it. I think JB might have been afraid to tell her Mom she had soiled it so she WAS in the red Turtleneck and those pants before the party but when she accidentally soiled herself she changed. Then she argued with her Mom when she saw she'd changed saying she wanted to wear the Gap white star outfit instead. It just seems like if JB's bathroom was involved at all with the rage and possible head injury on toilet or tub...PR would have cleaned up JB's bathroom and it would have been spotless. It sounds like PR made no attempt to clean that bathroom at all which makes me wonder if both she and JR had not even been in there after the fecal accident or after the party. When did PR start saying she put JB in the red Turtleneck and when did she retract? Was her testimony in response to photos?

"

Not odd at all to want to break up a set. The red turtleneck would go just as well with the black pants and vest as the white shirt. Don't confuse a little girls' vest with a man's. They don't necessarily button or close in front. The star would be visible.
As far as JB soiling, a lot of the fecal staining may have come from improper wiping, but she was known to actually soil her pants as well as her bed.
Patsy didn't do her own cleaning and her housekeeper was scheduled to come the day after they left for their trip. But there was said to be an chemical odor like bleach in JB's bathroom.

Not odd at all to want to break up a set. The red turtleneck would go just as well with the black pants and vest as the white shirt. Don't confuse a little girls' vest with a man's. They don't necessarily button or close in front. The star would be visible.
As far as JB soiling, a lot of the fecal staining may have come from improper wiping, but she was known to actually soil her pants as well as her bed.
Patsy didn't do her own cleaning and her housekeeper was scheduled to come the day after they left for their trip. But there was said to be an chemical odor like bleach in JB's bathroom.

I think it sounds odd for the perfectionist PR but perhaps they did look good with each other. What color was the star on the Gap top? So if that is the case...that PR would interchange outfits even for holidays... one set of black pants might be switched for another, too. I'd like to know the fabric and make of the supposed "PLAY PANTS." "Play pants" sounds like she was trying to say they weren't special enough for a holiday. If JB had tops that went just as well with each other...she might have had other black pants good enough for a holiday...perhaps even the ones PR CLAIMED were only PLAY PANTS.

Was JB's bathroom the one with the peroxide odor? I thought it was another. Didn't PR claim she dyed her own hair Christmas Day. She probably did that in her own bathroom, not JB's don't you think? (Although, I have a hard time believing she did her own hair.) I think JB's hair looks like it was dyed some time after the photos on the 23rd. The autopsy photos don't really show roots but you can see them in the photos of JB in the black dress on the 23rd.

I thought the housekeeper is the only person to report one instance of bed soiling when she reported for work? What I read about that one time sounded more like a sudden intestinal problem. Did other people report actual pooping in her pants? It disturbs me that people with so much money allowed JonBenet to still wear size 4 panties and panties with stains instead of not socializing so much and staying home to watch after her hygiene, infections, and supervise the learning of wiping. With so many old undies, there might not have been a way for LE to prove if she still had this constant wiping problem or not. As I said on another thread, JonBenet should have been wearing size 8 cotton undies that could be washed in hot water since she had infections and didn't wipe very well.

I don't know where JB was bashed on the head, but I believe she was strangled in the basement, and died there. I think the blanket was taken from the basement dryer and was NOT removed from her bed. All you need to do is look at the photo of her bed to see that no blanket was pulled off that bed. LE discussed this very thing with Patsy, and she reluctantly agreed that the bed seemed to be intact on the foot end, though the bed was unmade. .
I've thought the dryer was the most likely spot for that blanket and I agree JB's bed doesn't seem likely because why would PR take it out of the dryer and then put it under the bedspread when they were going to be leaving?

But you've got me thinking... are we missing any other logical possibilities? What day did the housekeeper say she saw it there? PR was packing for a trip. Wasn't that JB's favorite? Maybe PR had PACKED it for the trip. They had a private plane and often went in their jammies. Isn't it likely that blanket might have been packed for the trip or set on top of luggage to be ready to grab in the morning? Where was all of their luggage that night, anyone know? I know JR said he pre-loaded gifts in the plane the day before but they had to have had luggage in the house almost ready to go.

I've thought the dryer was the most likely spot for that blanket and I agree JB's bed doesn't seem likely because why would PR take it out of the dryer and then put it under the bedspread when they were going to be leaving?

But you've got me thinking... are we missing any other logical possibilities? What day did the housekeeper say she saw it there? PR was packing for a trip. Wasn't that JB's favorite? Maybe PR had PACKED it for the trip. They had a private plane and often went in their jammies. Isn't it likely that blanket might have been packed for the trip or set on top of luggage to be ready to grab in the morning? Where was all of their luggage that night, anyone know? I know JR said he pre-loaded gifts in the plane the day before but they had to have had luggage in the house almost ready to go.

The blanket she was wrapped in was off her bed. Notice no blanket on the bed?
picture.php

PR also said there should have been a top sheet.... So, where did the top sheet go?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back