The Verdict Waiting Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this week has been eventful for me. I got to attend Allison's court case and hear Todd Fuller give Allison her voice back so that justice can hopefully be served.

I also got to meet some Websleuthers in person Snails, Whatif, Itsthevibe, Freya1977, Alioop, Liadan and DrWatson. It was nice to put some faces to names that I have been talking to for awhile and also people who give so much help and info to others.

I'm not sure what to do when this is finished I will need to find another case to obsess about. :)

So glad that you could all meet...... I am having the amusing picture in my head of people meeting each other and greeting each other with their Websleuths identity...... Good afternoon Snails, pleased to meet you Dr. Watson........It is a lovely day Freya1977 and so on.....it is making me smile! I would have found it interesting to attend, even just once too if I lived in Brisbane and had the time.

In regards to people bringing their children to the court, my perspective as a parent of 4 is that if my teens were interested I would let them go, but not my primary aged children and younger. Teens often visit courts through high school programs these days. It gives them an idea of what it is all about and can be interesting for people who may be thinking about careers in that field too. My youngest would be too active and not be quiet and still enough for what a court requires at this point. The other problem is that the nature of some of the information presented in a court can be very sensitive, upsetting and confusing for a child too. So it probably depends on the child. Maybe the people bringing children had strong personal connections to the case and really needed the chance to be part of it to help them work through things and maybe they couldn't get childcare. Everyone is different.

I also don't have a problem with family members on either side shopping and so on whilst they wait for a verdict. It must be a harrowing and exhausting time for all. The opportunity to chill and reflect quietly at these times is important.

I did read in an article that there have been quite a few kids in the overflow court. I'm actually shocked that children are even allowed in!

Get them in training early - they're our next gen Barristers and Lawyers.
:D
Unless they end up being our next gen Baristas and Lawners.

I post this now as I just found it and don't want to lose it. I want to comment on it later tonight so will quote it then.

Judge Byrne direction to jury

"If you conclude that the accused lied because he realised that the truth would implicate him in killing his wife, you would need carefully also to consider whether the lie reveals a consciousness of guilt merely with respect to manslaughter as distinct from also revealing an intention to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm,” he said.

“You may only use the lie about cutting himself shaving – if it is a lie – as tending to prove the element of murder of an intention to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm if, on the whole of the evidence, the accused lied because he realised that the truth of the matter in that respect would show that, in killing his wife, he had intended to kill her or to cause her grievous bodily harm.

“It may be that, even if you were to find that the accused lied about his facial injuries because he realised that the truth would show him to be the killer, still you would not conclude that the lie shows that he realised that her death after scratching him with her fingernails would show that he had killed her intentionally.”

Thank you, Sir Humphrey :blah:

So glad that you could all meet...... I am having the amusing picture in my head of people meeting each other and greeting each other with their Websleuths identity...... Good afternoon Snails, pleased to meet you Dr. Watson........It is a lovely day Freya1977 and so on.....it is making me smile! I would have found it interesting to attend, even just once too if I lived in Brisbane and had the time.

In regards to people bringing their children to the court, my perspective as a parent of 4 is that if my teens were interested I would let them go, but not my primary aged children and younger. Teens often visit courts through high school programs these days. It gives them an idea of what it is all about and can be interesting for people who may be thinking about careers in that field too. My youngest would be too active and not be quiet and still enough for what a court requires at this point. The other problem is that the nature of some of the information presented in a court can be very sensitive, upsetting and confusing for a child too. So it probably depends on the child. Maybe the people bringing children had strong personal connections to the case and really needed the chance to be part of it to help them work through things and maybe they couldn't get childcare. Everyone is different.

I also don't have a problem with family members on either side shopping and so on whilst they wait for a verdict. It must be a harrowing and exhausting time for all. The opportunity to chill and reflect quietly at these times is important.

Yeah it's kind of funny. Standing there looking around at people thinking now I wonder who they are lol. Lucky<modnsip>people so knew what they where wearing instead of sidling up to random strangers and blurting out are you Freya/ Whatif/Itsthevibe/Snails?

It is like being part of a secret squirrel society.

I know. Freya was in the main court and Whatif, Itsthevibe, Snails and myself where in Banco.

I was in the overflow, Banco room , right up to lunch time, then , Itsthevibe and I were in the main court after lunch break. :tantrum:

Yeah it's kind of funny. Standing there looking around at people thinking now I wonder who they are lol. Lucky <modsnip>people so knew what they where wearing instead of sidling up to random strangers and blurting out are you Freya/ Whatif/Itsthevibe/Snails?

Kiwijayne, has everyone just met through this site or did many people know each other through the community beforehand?

I was in the overflow, Banco room , right up to lunch time, then , Itsthevibe and I were in the main court after lunch break. :tantrum:

I was sitting with Itsthevibe and had lunch outside with her.

Kiwijayne, has everyone just met through this site or did many people know each other through the community beforehand?

Well I think we all met through here! I think 4 of us where locals to Brookfield and the rest come from other areas of Brisbane.

Just out of interest, did we ever get anyone posting on here who witnessed GBC's ignoble crash (in a friend's car no less) into the concrete pillar at Indooroopilly Shopping Centre on the Saturday or Sunday after Allison went "missing"?

I've always wanted to know a bit more about how that went down....how deliberate or accidental (LoL, yeah right) it looked. Was he "a bit hurt" or did he appear/pretend to be in trouble?

What I wouldn't pay for the CCTV footage of THAT :violin:

Well I think we all met through here! I think 4 of us where locals to Brookfield and the rest come from other areas of Brisbane.

The next question is...... what is it actually like to meet in person people you have formed a relationship with on-line?..... I know it is an area where caution is needed..........Do people fit with how you imagined them? Do you still feel that you get along and can relate in some way like people do on-line or are people poles apart form how you imagine them when you read there posts here? Very interesting.

Just out of interest, did we ever get anyone posting on here who witnessed GBC's ignoble crash (in a friend's car no less) into the concrete pillar at Indooroopilly Shopping Centre on the Saturday or Sunday after Allison went "missing"?

I've always wanted to know a bit more about how that went down....how deliberate or accidental (LoL, yeah right) it looked. Was he "a bit hurt" or did he appear/pretend to be in trouble?

What I wouldn't pay for the CCTV footage of THAT :violin:

Well I can tell you I go into the Indooroopilly bus interchange(where he crashed) and the only cars allowed in there are police cars. Right by where he crashed is a little police station and it is nowhere near the police station he was supposed to be going too.

To get where he was he would have had to mounted a kerb and footpath. My guess deliberate to cover up injuries.

Yeah it's kind of funny. Standing there looking around at people thinking now I wonder who they are lol. Lucky <modsnip>people so knew what they where wearing instead of sidling up to random strangers and blurting out are you Freya/ Whatif/Itsthevibe/Snails?

Secret squirrel society?
Excuse me, but did you see Possumheart's pictures today of the facial coverups?
The defence had said he had been open and upfront about his facial wounds. Gouge marks or fingernail scratches.... Whatever they were, they weren't shaving marks.
The topic was how could he NOT be open about his facial wounds.
Possum supplied some interesting suggestions as to covers.

The next question is...... what is it actually like to meet in person people you have formed a relationship with on-line?..... I know it is an area where caution is needed..........Do people fit with how you imagined them? Do you still feel that you get along and can relate in some way like people do on-line or are people poles apart form how you imagine them when you read there posts here? Very interesting.

It was nice to meet them and get to put a face to the name. Yes I think people where as I imagined them and it was very easy to talk/relate to everyone.

Secret squirrel society?
Excuse me, but did you see Possumheart's pictures today of the facial coverups?
The defence had said he had been open and upfront about his facial wounds. Gouge marks or fingernail scratches.... Whatever they were, they weren't shaving marks.
The topic was how could he NOT be open about his facial wounds.
Possum supplied some interesting suggestions as to covers.

I love those pictures and had seen them before. Very inventive face wounds covers.

Good on her, why the hell not!

Exactly Ali- we don't have a DJs in Townsville and the last time I saw her at the shops it was at the local Salvos store. It's probably nice to shop without the kids and it might have been for the necessities for someone to take on a long trip away....inside.

Lucky ducks meeting each other. Please keep
the rest of us with you in your hearts.
Xxxxxxx

Yeah it's kind of funny. Standing there looking around at people thinking now I wonder who they are lol. Lucky I had PM'd people so knew what they where wearing instead of sidling up to random strangers and blurting out are you Freya/ Whatif/Itsthevibe/Snails?

I imagine it with a French accent! Hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member