The verging suicides - 3 deaths rock Las Vegas's tech community

New London Day is now reporting that Tony Hseih had barricaded himself in the home (apparently in a room adjacent to the rest of the home) and refused to respond to requests to open the door. This would be a horrible way to commit suicide. JMO There is so much more to this.

you need to link any info from MSM - it's a rule here
(The Rules)
and welcome to WS!

I've been haunted by this. Tony always seemed like a real human to me. The simplicity of his lifestyle was always so refreshing.

The screengrabs I've included struck a chord in me, both written well before his unfortunate end.

Especially the secret of happiness. being 'never get bored', since he had just retired (not that people don't keep busy in retirement, but still..it can be a large mental shift for people). Does anyone know about his mental state during retirement? Was he a pot smoker, and could he have been smoking in the shed...(though being trapped inside is peculiar). Did he have enemies? Who are his beneficiaries, I wonder?

My assumption is that the family did not publicly announce that he was in hospital because perhaps they thought he would live, and didn't want to draw attention to the incident if it would paint him in an unfavorable light? But still, even giving the benefit of that doubt, it doesn't sit right with me. (Perhaps because it was an investigation? Or was it at that time?).

How was the container business park doing in light of covid? In its early days, during an economic downturn it struggled, and as was posted in this thread earlier, he lost 3 colleagues (were they friends as well?) to suicide. I wonder what the burden he carried was like after that; trying not to draw attention to it (because, happiness), while carrying a weight alone inside. And if any kind of economic hardship from the pandemic for that same community was triggering to him as the leader who had inspired them to move there.

I read somewhere that Hsieh had been planning to move to Utah — does anyone know why he wanted to move there, and (maybe more importantly) why he was willing to leave his beloved airstream park behind? Was he looking for a break from Zappos and Vegas, and did he have future plans beyond his rabbit hole tour? (whatever that was going to be — does anyone have details about that? Tony's Rabbit Hole Tour)

So many questions. So sad for this loss. I look forward to learning from you all.

Attachments

• Why_multi-millionaire_Zappos_CEO_Tony_Hsieh_lives_in_a_trailer_park.png
    Why_multi-millionaire_Zappos_CEO_Tony_Hsieh_lives_in_a_trailer_park.png
    327.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Why__800M_worth_former_Zappos_CEO_lived_in_a_Vegas_trailer_paying_less_than__1K_a_month____MEAWW.png
    Why__800M_worth_former_Zappos_CEO_lived_in_a_Vegas_trailer_paying_less_than__1K_a_month____MEAWW.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 29
I've been haunted by this. Tony always seemed like a real human to me. The simplicity of his lifestyle was always so refreshing.

The screengrabs I've included struck a chord in me, both written well before his unfortunate end.

Especially the secret of happiness. being 'never get bored', since he had just retired (not that people don't keep busy in retirement, but still..it can be a large mental shift for people). Does anyone know about his mental state during retirement? Was he a pot smoker, and could he have been smoking in the shed...(though being trapped inside is peculiar). Did he have enemies? Who are his beneficiaries, I wonder?

My assumption is that the family did not publicly announce that he was in hospital because perhaps they thought he would live, and didn't want to draw attention to the incident if it would paint him in an unfavorable light? But still, even giving the benefit of that doubt, it doesn't sit right with me. (Perhaps because it was an investigation? Or was it at that time?).

How was the container business park doing in light of covid? In its early days, during an economic downturn it struggled, and as was posted in this thread earlier, he lost 3 colleagues (were they friends as well?) to suicide. I wonder what the burden he carried was like after that; trying not to draw attention to it (because, happiness), while carrying a weight alone inside. And if any kind of economic hardship from the pandemic for that same community was triggering to him as the leader who had inspired them to move there.

I read somewhere that Hsieh had been planning to move to Utah — does anyone know why he wanted to move there, and (maybe more importantly) why he was willing to leave his beloved airstream park behind? Was he looking for a break from Zappos and Vegas, and did he have future plans beyond his rabbit hole tour? (whatever that was going to be — does anyone have details about that? Tony's Rabbit Hole Tour)

So many questions. So sad for this loss. I look forward to learning from you all.

Oh my bad! I didn't realize what MSM was -- here are the links to the articles where I took the screenshots:

Tony Hsieh dead: Why $800M worth former Zappos CEO lived in a Vegas trailer paying less than $1K a month? | News Break

Why multi-millionaire Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh chooses to live in a trailer park

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back