Theory #1: Stranger Abduction by the "Couple in the Car"

In the late 1970's, Anna's family hired a private investigator named Josiah "Tink" Thompson to investigate the two Georges and the possibility of their involvement. As with LE, he concluded that they were odd enough to have done this, but no evidence could be found link them to Anna's disappearance/abduction. In our recent investigation, we have uncovered personal papers that seem to indicate both a motive for Anna to disappear (removing her as a potenial heir to Water's estate) and seemingly a foreknowledge of events that occured in January 1973 (the "Plan" note). Both LE's and Tink's analyses were qualified based on a lack of evidence, but that lack of evidence has been overcome by what we have discovered recently, so what we are left with is that the two Georges were odd enough to have done this AND evidence does exist linking them to her disappearance.

I am currently reading a non-fiction book authored by Tink about his early adventures as a private investigator titled "Gumshoe". Though the events in the book take place during the period that he was working for Anna's family, it does not mention any of the events involving Anna.

In the book, he does detail a case where he was involved in the "snatching" of a young girl who had been illegally taken from her mother by the non-custodial father. He refers to this sort of case (where a P.I. snatches a child back from a parent who does not legally have custody) as a "seam" job. He explains that the P.I. must determine that when a child is not in the immediate control of the parent or some other adult, then time his snatching to occur during this "seam" between two "fabrics" of adult supervision. He uses the example of a child who is dropped off by a driver in front of a school, who then walks into the school building and into class. That brief period between when the child leaves the bus and before the child is in the classroom as the "seam" - where the child is most vulnerable to being snatched.

If the above information makes you a little squeamish, remember that Tink is referring to cases that he was involved with returning a child to the proper custodial parent. Obviously, this is not the case when it comes to Anna. But, the technique used by whoever took Anna seems to echo what Tink describes. There was only a small window of opprtunity to find Anna outside of the immediate control of a parent or an adult (the "seam") and the abductor(s) found it. Even the incident with the couple in the car somwewhat fits this pattern: Anna, away from her parents, but with her two teenage brothers may have seemed to be the closest that the couple could find and they attempted to exploit this seam. When the brothers did not fall for the ruse, the couple left - likely to wait for a better seam to occur.

Which raises a possibility: were the couple in the car merely a couple searching for a daughter for their family, or could they have been professionals utilizing the same techniques that Tink describes? Tink expresses the moral quandries and outlines the legal and ethical rationalizations that he went through prior to becoming involved in such activities. Other professionals may not have been so ethical. Waters certainly earned enough to afford hiring a team to accomplish this task and Brody had plenty of cash stuffed away in a safe-deposit box to pay for such a endeavor. Brody may have viewed this as an investment necessary to secure the greater payoff of fully receiving Waters's inheritance.

if they both had outside help like the couple in the car or some other people if they were young at the time then someone must be alive and knows this info but wont come forward with it. Are they scared? were those people just helping brody and waters so they eventualy anna would be placed in a childless couples home?. didn't his book that he have said he logged in so many miles at one point if we assume he was in California at the time. did anyone look into where he would have ended up traveling those milles if he was doing it in 1-2day period?

Question here, if Annasbro saw these folks, has he ever looked at photos like Tim Binder, or like suspect couple drawings similar to the ones on DoeNetwork, of missing children around that time? There are pics of couples there, and maybe something would jog his memory?

Another (harder) but also relevant idea, is that of the 'missing women' from that time on the california DOJ site. It is entirely possible that IF Anna was taken, this person or people, might also have disappeared into oblivion, and their families are also looking for them. I have seen a couple of women pics in the past, of these missing women, and any one of them could be the 'woman', but how to trace them is another story.

I was rereading this thread from the beginning, and found that the tipster who may have seen Anna with 'Bill', was GOING TO DO a sketch with an artist, but then the "C" issue came up, and it seems as though this never happened. Did the tipster actually do the sketch with the artist, or did the idea get dropped? It seems that if all of her story was credible, this needs to be done.

...snipped ...

Which raises a possibility: were the couple in the car merely a couple searching for a daughter for their family, or could they have been professionals utilizing the same techniques that Tink describes? Tink expresses the moral quandries and outlines the legal and ethical rationalizations that he went through prior to becoming involved in such activities. Other professionals may not have been so ethical. Waters certainly earned enough to afford hiring a team to accomplish this task and Brody had plenty of cash stuffed away in a safe-deposit box to pay for such a endeavor. Brody may have viewed this as an investment necessary to secure the greater payoff of fully receiving Waters's inheritance.

Sounds like an interesting book Doogie. I'll have to see if our Library has it. I just have a few general comments...mosty thinking out loud.

If I remember correctly, several months ago we were having an active discussion about where the couple of the car fit into Anna's disappearance. It was this discussion that ultimately lead to Annasmoms memory of Waters phone call to Evelyn Wanek after Brody had died. (which was so awesome!) In that discussion I was offering another theory that possibly the couple in the car where just holiday makers sight seeing while home for Christmas break. Possibly just an innocent friendly gesture to give the kids a lift to the canyon. Times where different in 1973, and people in my area would regularly offer rides without a second thought...(Just an idea, nothing to back it up)

With that said, there could be several possibilities with this couple, (or 3 people, Annasbro is not totally positive how many people were in the car according to previous posts).

1. Childless couple randomly looking for a young daughter, then moved on. (split seam)
2. Childless couple randomly staking out the area and spotted a child to abduct later.
3. Professional kidnappers hired by the Georges. (What did they do with her?)
4. Innocent, friendly college students offering kids a ride.
5. Childless, (or Daughterless) couple who PAID the Georges for a child. (Cash hidden in a safe deposit box(?), :waitasec: )

1 & 2 seem highly unlikely considering this was a remote area, unless it was someone who knew of the family. 3. is hard for me to grasp because of the money hoarding personality of Brody, (but you never know). 4. is a 50/50 chance either way. 5. Seems like a pretty possible scenario.

I wonder if the unclaimed property of Brody is the original cash? (probably not) Finger prints can be lifted off paper money & coins.

ETA: The couple in the car could have been #5, but the plan was carried out by #3 (men in the van) when #5 were unable to pursade Anna into the car. #5 might have been responcible for paying #3 and the Georges.

I was rereading this thread from the beginning, and found that the tipster who may have seen Anna with 'Bill', was GOING TO DO a sketch with an artist, but then the "C" issue came up, and it seems as though this never happened. Did the tipster actually do the sketch with the artist, or did the idea get dropped? It seems that if all of her story was credible, this needs to be done.

Good idea INH, I had forgotten about that. A sketch could prove to be very helpful. Annasmom also met a "Bill" which she recalled in her personal diary. No one is sure if they are one in the same. If both Bills could be sketched, and then compared that might just answer many questions!

if they both had outside help like the couple in the car or some other people if they were young at the time then someone must be alive and knows this info but wont come forward with it. Are they scared? were those people just helping brody and waters so they eventualy anna would be placed in a childless couples home?. didn't his book that he have said he logged in so many miles at one point if we assume he was in California at the time. did anyone look into where he would have ended up traveling those milles if he was doing it in 1-2day period?

This might answer part of your question. The miles put on Waters car were logged in 1971, and stopped about a year before Annasmom and Joe and children actually moved to the farm. Annasmom said prior to their bus trip, they lived fairly close to Waters.

Great idea about the sketch of the "Bill's" and reviewing suspect sketches from Doenetwork. Also, it's been suggested a few times that Annasbro undergo hypnosis. I recall a few months ago his schedule was pretty overloaded, where might things stand on this now?

Also, regarding Doogie's post. I've given this thought frequently. It's my opinion whoever took Anna was familiar with the family or familiar with the daily going ons in the immediate area. Someone had to know Anna attended morning kindergarten and some idea of the family schedule, when the boys got home from school. The area and weather that rainy Tuesday, especially if the weather in other immediate area's where much worse the farm, they had to know... Why else pick this particular rainy Tuesday to take Anna? Presumably they may have known Joe Fords schedule and assumed he would have worked a full day and he had work in the immediate area? A random stranger abduction seems out of place, at least for me, due to the weather.

I have no idea how to check this, but I have often wondered if the George's may have come upon a family for Anna through is medical profession. Are any of GW's coworkers known and if so, have any of them ever been interviewed? Perhaps they recall something that just didn't sit well.

Great idea about the sketch of the "Bill's" and reviewing suspect sketches from Doenetwork. Also, it's been suggested a few times that Annasbro undergo hypnosis. I recall a few months ago his schedule was pretty overloaded, where might things stand on this now?

Cubby, I tried to send you a PM and was told that your inbox is full.

In light of the recent case briefing on Anna's case in the Astro forum pointing to the couple in the car I am bumping this thread.

What immediately struck me as odd, was why would the couple initially approach Anna while she was with her two older brothers? It makes no sense to me-unless they were planning on abducting all three children- which still makes no sense to me.

However, I do vaguelly recall a post from Dr. Doogie answering a question from another poster if Annasbro had seen a pic of a female suspect on a missing persons case listed at Doe. I can not recall who the missing person was, or where that reply from Dr. Doogie was. Anyone else remember this? Can we find it and possibly do some more research on that mystery woman who Annasbro said was a dead on sketch of his memory of the female from the couple in the car? I also recall from Doogies reply the decision was made not to pursue that angle because there was no proof that the mystery couple in the car were involved in Anna's disappearance.

Someone has to remember this beside me.

I don't know where to find it, but wasn't it Rose Cole?
In light of the recent case briefing on Anna's case in the Astro forum pointing to the couple in the car I am bumping this thread.

What immediately struck me as odd, was why would the couple initially approach Anna while she was with her two older brothers? It makes no sense to me-unless they were planning on abducting all three children- which still makes no sense to me.

However, I do vaguelly recall a post from Dr. Doogie answering a question from another poster if Annasbro had seen a pic of a female suspect on a missing persons case listed at Doe. I can not recall who the missing person was, or where that reply from Dr. Doogie was. Anyone else remember this? Can we find it and possibly do some more research on that mystery woman who Annasbro said was a dead on sketch of his memory of the female from the couple in the car? I also recall from Doogies reply the decision was made not to pursue that angle because there was no proof that the mystery couple in the car were involved in Anna's disappearance.

I don't know where to find it, but wasn't it Rose Cole?

No, it wasn't Rose Cole. IIRC it was a sketch of an (unknown?) female suspect-or wanted for question- in relation to a missing persons case. Annasbro had described the females shirt/blouse and said she had long black hair. When shown the sketch he said it was a dead ringer or something like that. IIRC there were sketches for both a male and female suspect.

I think you may be referring to Antoinette Marino. A woman who went missing in CA the summer of 72. If I remember right it was after we brought up Antoinette's name that we found an adoptee who claimed to be the daughter of the missing Marino. Actually all e-mails were exchanged with her search angel and not with the adoptee. Our theory was... when Marino was released from prison, she could not find her daughter who had been adopted out while she was incarcerated. The adoptive family moved. Marino made her way north to HMB found Anna who resembled her daughter with blonde curly hair and the right age and took her. I found Marino married a couple times and last was living in Florida. We never heard back from the search angel if contact was ever made.

Attachments

• ADM.jpg
    ADM.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 46
SherlockJr is correct - it was Marino.

What made the theory all that more interesting is that it was being looked at similtanuously as things were heating up with "Mystery Woman C". C's first name is "Christina" - the same name as Marino's daughter and C's middle name is "Anntoinette" - the same as Marino's first name. Marino disappeared about six months prior to Anna's disappearance.

As Sherlockjr described above, our theory was that Marino may have felt that society "owed her a daughter" and grabbed Anna to replace her own. Then at some later time, she may have dumped Anna with someone else but left her with the names "Christina Antoinette" and that was C.

When the DNA tests showed that C was not Anna, the Marino angle was abandoned.

thank you Sherlock and Dr. Doogie. I did find the info on Marino very late last night and saw that angle was abandoned. Maybe I am mixing this up with the sketch of the possibile perp from the Michaela G missing persons case. Was there not a sketch of a man and woman who were seen around a missing child that Annasbro looked at and said the sketch resembled the woman in the car? Again, I could be completely mixing up the two as I read them so long ago.

thanks!

........ However, I do vaguelly recall a post from Dr. Doogie answering a question from another poster if Annasbro had seen a pic of a female suspect on a missing persons case listed at Doe. I can not recall who the missing person was, or where that reply from Dr. Doogie was. Anyone else remember this? Can we find it and possibly do some more research on that mystery woman who Annasbro said was a dead on sketch of his memory of the female from the couple in the car? I also recall from Doogies reply the decision was made not to pursue that angle because there was no proof that the mystery couple in the car were involved in Anna's disappearance.

I do remember this also. And IIRC it wasn't the Marino photo. It involved sketches of a couple and I remember the part about the woman's shirt collar and black hair looking familiar to Anna's brother. But I don't know where in this forum it was. I'm going to go look for it.
Also it seems like the sketch was of a couple that was suspected in a child abduction in another case about the same time, but was brought onto this forum because of the 'couple' thing.

I do remember this also. And IIRC it wasn't the Marino photo. It involved sketches of a couple and I remember the part about the woman's shirt collar and black hair looking familiar to Anna's brother. But I don't know where in this forum it was. I'm going to go look for it.
Also it seems like the sketch was of a couple that was suspected in a child abduction in another case about the same time, but was brought onto this forum because of the 'couple' thing.

Exactly. I'm glad someone besides me remembered. I also recall that Doogies reply indicated something like they never pursued it because there was no evidence the couple in the car had anything to do with Anna's disappearance. Though, now I really can't recall if that was posted here in Anna's forum, or did Doogie reply to that question in another forum where the question arose?

I'm looking too but haven't found it. Please post, or bump the old post if it is not in a locked/closed thread. (or copy it here) Thanks!

I think you may be referring to Antoinette Marino. A woman who went missing in CA the summer of 72. If I remember right it was after we brought up Antoinette's name that we found an adoptee who claimed to be the daughter of the missing Marino. Actually all e-mails were exchanged with her search angel and not with the adoptee. Our theory was... when Marino was released from prison, she could not find her daughter who had been adopted out while she was incarcerated. The adoptive family moved. Marino made her way north to HMB found Anna who resembled her daughter with blonde curly hair and the right age and took her. I found Marino married a couple times and last was living in Florida. We never heard back from the search angel if contact was ever made.

OT- but if she is married and living in FL why is she still listed as missing? does LE have her info in FL? If not someone should pass it along to the investigator working on the case, which is still active at doenetwork.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back