Thoughts on Daylight Saving Time...

Discussion in 'Weather' started by BetteDavisEyes, Mar 10, 2018.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

It's time, once again, to set clocks, light-timers, watches, etc. forward one hour. We do the reverse in the fall and set such devices back one hour. Tonight, we "lose" an hour of sleep but will "gain" it back in the fall when we return to Standard Time.

Love it or hate it? Nuisance or worthwhile? What do you think of Daylight Saving Time?

2. Loading...

3. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

I miss Arizona so much.

Among other things, no daylight savings time there. Neither does Hawaii.

Maybe it is time for the rest of the nation to follow suit.

4. BetteDavisEyes

How to get ahead of (and cope with) daylight saving time

It's just an hour. An hour that can throw a healthy sleeper’s Circadian rhythm out of whack.

On Sunday, March 11 (at 2 a.m. to be exact), it’s time to push our clocks up an hour, so that it will actually be 3 a.m. It’s a seemingly minor transition, but one that has long attracted controversy. A 2012 survey by Rasmussen Reports found that as many as 40 percent of Americans were in favor of eliminating Daylight Saving Time, and over the years, certain cities, such as Alberta, Canada, have lobbied to scrap it.

Hey, it’s just an hour, what’s the big deal? Well, any of us who has dealt with insomnia or poor sleep can vouch for how valuable that hour can be, and even one hour’s loss can throw a healthy sleeper’s Circadian rhythm out of whack. What can we do to prepare for the change, and acclimate quickly? We consulted sleep experts to build a plan...

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/how-get-ahead-cope-daylight-saving-time-ncna855286

5. Jewels53

Jewels53 Justice For Lucas!

I despise Daylight Savings Time! Leave the clocks alone. jmo

6. mimi56

mimi56 Member

I absolutely hate it & see no need for it. Living in Texas in the summer, the last thing I want is an extra hour of blazing hot sun!! lol

7. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Florida is looking at year round Daylight Savings Time.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...e-florida-seeks-all-year-daylight-saving-time

8. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

It depends on how far north you live. Here in Southern Oregon, we would do fine staying on standard time year round. We would lose the long light summer evenings (past 9:00 p.m.), and be more like San Diego is on daylight savings time. But that’s not a huge deal. I wouldn’t mind staying on standard time year round and skpiping the sleep issues.

But please don’t make us have daylight savings time all year like Florida wants to do! Here in our valley surrounded by mountains it would be close to 9:00 a.m. in the winter before the sun appeared above the mountains. It would still be darkish in the mountain valleys by 8:15 a.m. when many people have to be at school or work.

Our evenings would be light later, but dark mornings would be hard to deal with. Further north in Oregon and Washington it would be even darker. The southern states benefit most from keeping daylight savings time. Frankly, anyone in the north who suffers from seasonal affective disorder (depression) like I do would be a mess on year-round daylight savings time. It’s enough of a struggle!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...y-in-daylight-saving-time-year-round/70004366

9. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

I'm an early riser and hate it when I have to wait and wait for sunlight, or any light. Do away with daylight saving time, let's go back to a natural, predictable way of life.

10. southernmimi

southernmimi Active Member

I hate it, too. Natural light and darkness are best for humans, and I see no benefit in trying to control them.

11. BetteDavisEyes

12. BetteDavisEyes

:tyou: for your responses. I'm not a fan of DST and would prefer not having to go through the twice-yearly rigamarole of setting clocks, watches, light-timers, etc. forward or backward.