Tiger kills man at San Francisco Zoo (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on CNN, news conference any minute now....

Signs will be posted as to conduct of visitors.
Loud speakers and cams will be installed.
More staff employee's.
When the police investigation is finished, then the findings will be announced.

Wall will be 19 ft, done in 30 days.

From the last thread: F.Y.I., Dhaliwal is an Indian surname, not hispanic. I know several Indian families.
Souza is a hispanic surname.

ap_logo.gif

1 day ago
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A couple was allowed to hold their long-scheduled wedding reception at the San Francisco Zoo, even though the grounds have been closed since a tiger escaped on Christmas and mauled three people, killing one of them.
Erica De Jesus and Mike Garcia went on their first date at the zoo 10 years ago. Because of the tiger attack, they and their 200 guests were not allowed to roam the zoo grounds Monday night and had to confine their celebration to a hall near the entrance gate, where a sign warned that lions and tigers would not be on display until further notice.
A half-dozen guards were on hand to make sure no guests wandered off.
"That's all right," the bride said. "We're starting our new life and we hope for a new life for the zoo, too."
more at link:http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g6JXU_OvD0aNa4i2BaY7TBw9kcdQD8TTA1U00

Tanya Schevitz,Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
(12-31) 14:10 PST San Francisco - -- The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is working on plans for a new security barrier for all five big cat grottos at the San Francisco Zoo, and the new design should be in place within 30 days, according to a new spokesman for the zoo.
The security system announced Monday will be designed by C+A Architects, the architect responsible for the zoo's new Grizzly Gulch exhibit and a new hippopotamus exhibit under construction. It will be paid for through funds from a $53 million zoo improvements bond approved by voters in 1997.
"They are in the first stages of drawing something up right now, working with the zoo and animal experts on something that is both safe for the animals and safe for the public," said Sam Singer, a well-known crisis management spokesman. He was brought in by the zoo over the weekend after a tiger escaped on Christmas Day, killing a San Jose teenager and injuring two of his friends.
The zoo, which will reopen Thursday, is desperate to revive its image after bungling the response to the attack. For example, its management gave at least five different descriptions of the grotto's dimensions, finally admitting last week that the wall of a dry moat separating the tigers and visitors was only 12 1/2 feet high - at least 4 feet shorter than national recommendations. Zoo officials have also repeatedly refused to answer questions about the zoo's security, including why visitors were allowed to roam the 100-acre site while the 350-pound Siberian tiger was loose. more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/01/MNPRU7HOG.DTL

Tanya Schevitz,Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
(12-31) 14:10 PST San Francisco - -- The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is working on plans for a new security barrier for all five big cat grottos at the San Francisco Zoo, and the new design should be in place within 30 days, according to a new spokesman for the zoo.
The security system announced Monday will be designed by C+A Architects, the architect responsible for the zoo's new Grizzly Gulch exhibit and a new hippopotamus exhibit under construction. It will be paid for through funds from a $53 million zoo improvements bond approved by voters in 1997.
"They are in the first stages of drawing something up right now, working with the zoo and animal experts on something that is both safe for the animals and safe for the public," said Sam Singer, a well-known crisis management spokesman. He was brought in by the zoo over the weekend after a tiger escaped on Christmas Day, killing a San Jose teenager and injuring two of his friends.
The zoo, which will reopen Thursday, is desperate to revive its image after bungling the response to the attack. For example, its management gave at least five different descriptions of the grotto's dimensions, finally admitting last week that the wall of a dry moat separating the tigers and visitors was only 12 1/2 feet high - at least 4 feet shorter than national recommendations. Zoo officials have also repeatedly refused to answer questions about the zoo's security, including why visitors were allowed to roam the 100-acre site while the 350-pound Siberian tiger was loose. more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/01/MNPRU7HOG.DTL

Thanks for the update

I know this is going to sound awful, but if those boys were taunting & torturing that tiger I really won't be able to muster a ounce of sympathy for them. Their families, sure.

I have the feeling that they were.

I know this is going to sound awful, but if those boys were taunting & torturing that tiger I really won't be able to muster a ounce of sympathy for them. Their families, sure.

Me too Linda.

I feel that way too, although I also feel the zoo director lied, and they should have changed the tiger exhibit years ago.
I would like to be able to return to that zoo, but I'm not sure I'll feel safe.

Well, I am glad Geragos had taken their case, on contingency probably. he seems to be on quite a losing streak!

I am sure they will come to some kind of settlement, even IF it turns out they were tormenting the tiger. Sad too, cause if that were the case they wouldn't get a DIME from me!

Ever since the Scott Peterson case, Mark Geragos's name is MUD in Northern CA. The two young men, who taunted Tatiana, have about 2 1/2 strikes against them, just by retaining MG. Losers all deserve one another.

Well, I am glad Geragos had taken their case, on contingency probably. he seems to be on quite a losing streak!

I know! Other than PR, okay and money- what is he gaining? His track record is much better for losing cases for all these big celebrities rather than winning them. After he got Scott Peterson put on death row, what sane person sees him as a competent lawyer???:doh:

I mean even OJ's "Dream Team" managed to get a Guilty person off.

Ever since the Scott Peterson case, Mark Geragos's name is MUD in Northern CA. The two young men, who taunted Tatiana, have about 2 1/2 strikes against them, just by retaining MG. Losers all deserve one another.

Even better, I hope they don't get squat.

So you believe that the tiger was well-entitled to attack them for "taunting" (whatever that might mean) her? And that death or grievous bodily injury is justified in a case of face-making, name-calling, whatever?

I have been somewhat shocked to read on Websleuths, a board devoted to justice for victims, that many people think these young men got what was coming to them. If every foolish person, young or old, who has taunted or teased zoo animals were punished in this way, there would be thousands of deaths and injuries each year.

If we accept the fact that wild animals are to be displayed for the education and pleasure of humans, then we are obliged to accept the fact that the humans need protection from the animals, and vice versa. If it were that easy for the tiger to escape, she could have also mauled "innocent" bystanders.

I'm sorry that the tiger was captured, caged, and ultimately killed. But the death and injuries of these guys was in no way justified. A fine, a banning from the zoo, but death? and mauling?

The huge error on the part of zoo officials which allowed this to happen is shocking and should be harshly dealt with. Someone will surely lose his/her job, and the zoo will be financially penalized. Surely you don't think that the zoo keepers should be thrown to wild animals? Those victims could have been helpless infants...and perhaps they were not taunting the tiger.

So you believe that the tiger was well-entitled to attack them for "taunting" (whatever that might mean) her? And that death or grievous bodily injury is justified in a case of face-making, name-calling, whatever?

I have been somewhat shocked to read on Websleuths, a board devoted to justice for victims, that many people think these young men got what was coming to them. If every foolish person, young or old, who has taunted or teased zoo animals were punished in this way, there would be thousands of deaths and injuries each year.

If we accept the fact that wild animals are to be displayed for the education and pleasure of humans, then we are obliged to accept the fact that the humans need protection from the animals, and vice versa. If it were that easy for the tiger to escape, she could have also mauled "innocent" bystanders.

I'm sorry that the tiger was captured, caged, and ultimately killed. But the death and injuries of these guys was in no way justified. A fine, a banning from the zoo, but death? and mauling?

The huge error on the part of zoo officials which allowed this to happen is shocking and should be harshly dealt with. Someone will surely lose his/her job, and the zoo will be financially penalized. Surely you don't think that the zoo keepers should be thrown to wild animals? Those victims could have been helpless infants...and perhaps they were not taunting the tiger.

If someone is hateful enough to pelt a caged animal ( that they thought they could get away with) as big as a tiger with rocks and debris that I say the two surviving ones hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

People that abuse animals are far more likely to abuse weaker humans.

That said......I said IF they were indeed taunting that tiger.

If you taunt a rattle snake and they bite you is it the snakes fault? Who stuck their hand in there to begin with? I feel that if they in fact taunted the tiger, that they should be prosecuted for manslaughter in connection with the death of their friend. And yes I would feel they got what they deserved. If anybody else had been harmed, it would have been their fault as well.

AZA said the existing structure was approved, by them, as safe. Notice that the tiger was very selective as to those she chose to attack. The young men should have known better. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum, or any other, that ever threw large rocks, pine cones, and branches at a caged tiger. Perhaps these three young men weren't meant to be in the gene pool. IMO

AZA said the existing structure was approved, by them, as safe. Notice that the tiger was very selective as to those she chose to attack. The young men should have known better. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum, or any other, that ever threw large rocks, pine cones, and branches at a caged tiger. Perhaps these three young men weren't meant to be in the gene pool. IMO

agreed

The fact that that hired Geragos means two things to me:

1) They are stone cold 100% guilty of, at the very least, everything they've been accused if;

2) If taken to trial with Geragos as their attorney, they will be found guilty and punished appropriately.

So all in all I consider this a positive development.

Makes sense since you put it that way. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member