CONVICTION OVERTURNED TN - Bill Payne, 36, & Billie Hayworth, 23, murdered, Johnson County, 31 Jan 2012 *Plead Guilty; No retrial*

I've been watching the Young trial this week and hadn't been here for a couple of days. I saw this on our national news this a.m.

Wow! I'm stunned!

Over facebook?
:(
OMG

fran

This Potter chick is an (unusual) person!!! She needs to be charged.
http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012...on-county-double-murder-court-tod-ar-1673810/

(snip)
According to court documents, on May 7, 2011, another woman actually took Potter to court. Lindsey Thomas filed a telephone harassment complaint against Potter. Payne and Hayworth testified against Potter in that case, investigators said.

“Jenelle Potter whom I’ve never met has been harassing me for months now,” Thomas said in her affidavit of complaint. “She has called my phone anywhere from 5-20 times a day. I have asked her on more than one occasion to quit calling me, but have had no luck. This all started because I deleted her off my Facebook. She continues to lie and say stuff about me all over her Facebook. I have proof of phone calls and stuff on Facebook.”

To date, investigators have not charged Potter with any crime in regards to the double murder. However, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Roark said yesterday in court she is at the center of this murder investigation.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012...on-county-double-murder-court-tod-ar-1673810/

(snip)
According to court documents, on May 7, 2011, another woman actually took Potter to court. Lindsey Thomas filed a telephone harassment complaint against Potter. Payne and Hayworth testified against Potter in that case, investigators said.

“Jenelle Potter whom I’ve never met has been harassing me for months now,” Thomas said in her affidavit of complaint. “She has called my phone anywhere from 5-20 times a day. I have asked her on more than one occasion to quit calling me, but have had no luck. This all started because I deleted her off my Facebook. She continues to lie and say stuff about me all over her Facebook. I have proof of phone calls and stuff on Facebook.”

To date, investigators have not charged Potter with any crime in regards to the double murder. However, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Roark said yesterday in court she is at the center of this murder investigation.

What the heck???? She sounds like a whack-job for sure. But how on earth did she convince these guys to kill for her?

Wow.

My mind just can't get past the fact that 2 people were murdered in front of their baby, leaving the baby alone in their blood over facebook. I mean REALLY? I guess I'm in trouble then, because I defriended everyone and cancelled my whole account. How ridiculous does that sound? I just can't get over how ridiculous this case is. This girl is obviously a nutjob, who got 2 more nutjobs to do her dirty work. A poor little baby left without his loving parents over an internet tiff. Egads.

Reason #876,258.7(z)(iii) why I quit messing with FB. Un-freak-in-believable.

ITA!!! While I am still on FB, I post very infrequently, and have only 24 FB friends. After this story, I am seriously considering quitting facebook. Too many schoolyard/playground antics on there for me.

I just learned of this tragedy from a yahoo article, link .

RIP, Billy Jr & Billie Jean. I hope the little one is with a loving family member. imo, the person who caused this, should also be charged.

RIP, Billy Jr & Billie Jean. I hope the little one is with a loving family member. imo, the person who caused this, should also be charged.

Sheriff Mike Reece said their 6-month-old baby was found in his dead mother’s arms but was unhurt.
The baby is now with his maternal grandmother.

“The only good thing to come out of this is, hopefully, this child is too young to remember any of this,” Reece said.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=97957#ixzz1mA1UJNOA

I am still shocked over these utterly senseless deaths. I just can't comprehend that these poor people were killed over facebook. What is happening to the people in our country? How could the men go through with it when there was a baby in his mother's arms? How could they leave a baby all alone in the house with his dead parents? Over facebook? I'm just never going to get over this one. It's becoming like a free-for-all out there. People are murdered at the drop of a pin over nothing. Sorry, ranting.

(snip)

I'm confused. The victims testified against this woman? Why were they "friends" on facebook?

I'm confused. The victims testified against this woman? Why were they "friends" on facebook?

My assumption is they were all facebook friends until the court case. At that point, Billy & Billie Jean defriended Potter.

My assumption is they were all facebook friends until the court case. At that point, Billy & Billie Jean defriended Potter.

I assumed that also but when looking at the date of the court case it was back in May 2011. 9 months later they murder this couple? Good lord. 9 months of built up anger and planning!

Sickening.

This is the town's weekly newspaper. I was looking for comments, but can bet there will be few.

“This Facebook thing was evidently her whole life,” said Sheriff Reece. “If you deleted her, they started harassing you. If you ran into them in town, you had an altercation with them. It was an ongoing thing with these people.”

It is believed that staff from Inside Edition, the television series, will be in Johnson County on Wednesday with regard to the recent double murders. Marvin Buddy Potter, Jr. is due to appear in court on Wednesday. Attempts to reach Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, for comment on the double murders have not been successful as of press time. The Tomahawk will continue to provide updates on this case as they are made available.

http://www.thetomahawk.com/

From your link:
Curd's attorney, R.O. Smith, an assistant public defender, said it was "safe to say there's more to it than the Facebook problem, it appears."
"I wish I could provide more of what went on, but there's needless to say a lot of rumors swirling around and nothing substantiated on the rumors," Smith said.

From your link:
Curd's attorney, R.O. Smith, an assistant public defender, said it was "safe to say there's more to it than the Facebook problem, it appears."
"I wish I could provide more of what went on, but there's needless to say a lot of rumors swirling around and nothing substantiated on the rumors," Smith said.

So according to the defense attorney, safe to say there's more to this crime but it's all based on unsubstantiated rumors? :waitasec:

Sounds like defense spin 101.

This case is still flipping me out. Two people dead over facebook. It's insane. Why would anyone care that much about facebook? I know this is kind of a repeat post, but I still get shocked every time I come to this thread.

So according to the defense attorney, safe to say there's more to this crime but it's all based on unsubstantiated rumors? :waitasec:

Sounds like defense spin 101.
Yep.
It's a small town, and no doubt almost everyone has a good idea of what it all entailed, (including LE) but won't talk beyond gossiping. After all, in a town of around 2,000 they interviewed 150 people. I'd like to know why they befriended her in the first place, if they didn't know her...or was that the other girl? Very small town, everyone would know of everyone else....whether they had known each other from school or just talk. Such and such is related to such and such, or his father works with my uncle, her mother is the 2nd grade teacher...or he's the local "go to", etc. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back