GUILTY TN - Caitlyn Kaufman, 26, fatally shot while driving on I-440, Nashville, 3 Dec 2020 *1 guilty, 1 NG*

I’m a little confused by their wording about the gun. At the press conference and in earlier articles it was said the person who called in the tip about the suspect also told police where to find the gun and they located it later that night and matched it to the shell casings. Was the gun hidden at the crime scene?
If shell casings were found at the crime scene, does that mean the gun was outside the shooter’s car while he was shooting? Like his arm extended out the window?

If there were shell casings in the vicinity of the crime scene, this means a semi-automatic pistol was used. Semi-automatic pistols eject the empty cases after shots are fired. In this incident, police indicated a 9mm was used; that is usually a semi-automatic. It is likely that the shooter opened his window, extended his arm, and fired. That would account for leaving empty cases outside. It's unlikely the shooter would have fired from inside his own car with the windows closed due to breakage and noise. It could also mean that Ms. Kaufman was somehow forced off the road, and that the shooter fired at her when he stood outside her stopped vehicle. Once the details are of the crime are understood, the location of the cases can be explained.

Suspect arrested in Nashville nurse's murder had violent juvenile history

DeVaunte L. Hill, the 21-year-old charged with the senseless murder of nurse Caitlyn Kaufman, had a violent juvenile history, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has discovered.

In March 2016, Hill -- then 16 -- was arrested on four counts of attempted homicide after a domestic shooting spree involving four family members, records show. Hill used a handgun to shoot his grandmother, 12-year-old sister and 6-year-old nephew.

At the time, investigators said that Hill was angry that his grandmother was making him go to school.

Suspect arrested in Nashville nurse's murder had violent juvenile history

DeVaunte L. Hill, the 21-year-old charged with the senseless murder of nurse Caitlyn Kaufman, had a violent juvenile history, NewsChannel 5 Investigates has discovered.

In March 2016, Hill -- then 16 -- was arrested on four counts of attempted homicide after a domestic shooting spree involving four family members, records show. Hill used a handgun to shoot his grandmother, 12-year-old sister and 6-year-old nephew.

At the time, investigators said that Hill was angry that his grandmother was making him go to school.

Um, he’s 21, surely he’s in college. At that age, if you have to be made to attend, why even spend the $ going? Weird. Probably just an attempt to excuse his actions. IMO

Um, he’s 21, surely he’s in college. At that age, if you have to be made to attend, why even spend the $ going?

He was 16 when the incident with his family occurred. He is 21 now! Very disturbing he was released back out in the community allowing him to continue the violent behavior.

- March, 2016 shoots 4 members of his family. Pleads guilty to agg assault, placed in custody of Dept of Children's Services and released to home custody April 2017.

- June, 2017 robs a neighbor. Pleads guilty to agg robbery, returned to DCS custody and released March 2018.

- Prior to Caitlyn's murder, he had been arrested as an adult for possession of drug paraphernalia, driving without a license and assault.

Last edited:
Sorry that it took the life of this dedicated nurse to get this perpetrator off the streets. He will not have a chance to go on his merry way again.
Wonder if he had accomplices in the car with him at the time.
JMO

Apparently random, undoubtedly senseless.
How can there be any justice when the life of a front-line hero has been taken?
I am shattered by this one.

As if these people aren’t taking enough risk. I hate this aspect of it too. I do wonder, if this was an intended act of violence or of there was a traffic situation that started this, agree it’s senseless, act.

He was 16 when the incident with his family occurred. He is 21 now! Very disturbing he was released back out in the community allowing him to continue the violent behavior.

- March, 2016 shoots 4 members of his family. Pleads guilty to agg assault, placed in custody of Dept of Children's Services and released to home custody April 2017.

- June, 2017 robs a neighbor. Pleads guilty to agg robbery, returned to DCS custody and released March 2018.

- Prior to Caitlyn's murder, he had been arrested as an adult for possession of drug paraphernalia, driving without a license and assault.

Reading the above nonsense makes me sick to my stomach with ANGER...:mad::mad::mad:

This psycho shoots FOUR members of his family in 2016....Home custody in 2017...

2017---Robs a neighbour. Then Released in 2018.... SHOULDNT HE HAVE BEEN SENT TO JAIL IN 2018, since he shot 4 people 2 years earlier, then robbed someone when he was out on 'home custody'?

What kind of Justice is that?

Why do we keep letting violent offenders out, after less than a year, REPEATEDLY.

How many murderers have we seen here, that have REPEATEDLY been arrested and charged with violent crimes, but are out on the streets in no time:?

I just got here -- saw this article -- please forgive it it's a repeat:

Suspects in Killing of Tenn. Nurse Driving to Work Are Indicted on First-Degree Murder Charges

Devaunte Hill, 21, and James Cowan, 28, are facing murder charges in the deadly shooting of Caitlyn Kaufman, who was gunned down while driving to work

By KC Baker
May 21, 2021 01:25 PM
The two Tennessee men who were arrested in December for allegedly shooting and killing a nurse on her way to work have been indicted for murder.

On Thursday, a grand jury indicted Devaunte Hill, 21, and James Cowan, 28, on first-degree murder charges, a Davidson County Court Clerk confirmed to PEOPLE.

The indictments stem from the Dec. 3, 2020, shooting death of Caitlyn Kaufman, 26, of Lebanon.

Shortly after 6 p.m. that night, Kaufman was heading to her shift at St. Thomas West Hospital, where she helped treat COVID-19 victims, when at least six shots were fired at her SUV, the Metro Nashville Police Department said at the time.

According to the medical examiner, one of the bullets hit her in the left shoulder, killing her within 15 seconds, the Tennessean reports.

Her bullet-ridden Mazda CX-5 SUV rolled to a stop on the right shoulder of I-440 west and was still running when the officer stopped to check on it, NBC News reports.

[...]
RELATED: Cop Pulls Over to Help Out Crash Victim -- Discovers Nurse, 26, Fatally Shot While Driving to Work

Court testimony in January suggested that the two men charged in the murder of Kaufman may have shot at her out of road rage after being cut off on I-440, WZTV and the Tennessean report.

More here:
Suspects in Killing of Tenn. Nurse Driving to Work Are Indicted on First-Degree Murder Charges

Nov. 15, 2022

"A father lunges at two men accused of killing his daughter, 26-year-old Caitlyn Kaufman, inside a Davidson County courtroom on Tuesday morning.

Kaufman was an Ascension Saint Thomas nurse who was shot and killed on Interstate 440 on her way to work two years ago.

Before Tuesday’s motion hearing, Rick Kaufman, Caitlyn’s father, moved through the partition toward Davaunte Hill and James Cowan, the two men accused of killing his daughter on Dec. 3, 2020. He was taken out of the courtroom by two bailiffs and sat outside the courtroom for the remainder of the hearing. Diane Kaufman, Caitlyn’s mother, stayed inside and teared up throughout the morning."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back