TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too - and, while we truly have a long way to go, I choose to see the glass as half full because a lot of progress has been made in a relatively short amount of time.

We just have to keep striving.

Sometimes, though, I think if we were all one race, we would just find something else to separate us because that's what we do. Human nature may well be colorblind in this regard - the need to focus on differences because focusing on similarities is too scary!

Have you ever read The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss? Great little story about prejudice.

I have always heard it is worse in the south...is that true? I just dont understand it, if those sickos were white I would feel the same disgust for them. To do what they did is horrible. I feel so much pain for those parents. To have to bury you child in that condition must be hard on any parent. I hope they all get what they deserve!!

Thanks for the link, tennessee - from that article:

Some people have called the murders a hate crime because the suspects are all black and both the victims are white.

But if you ask the Christians, the only color they see in all of this is the color of blood.

"I believe in my heart that wild animals come in lots of different colors. The end result is they're still wild animals," Gary says.

and also this...

The Christians say they are hoping prosecutors will seek the death penalty.

They are going to be tried separately, first trial won't start till May of 2008 probably.

does he really think the black members of the city are safe if these sickos go free? i dont know why they picked these kids. if it is cause they are white or cause they seemed rich or maybe because they are in the wrong spot at the wrong time. i dont care. nobody is safe from true evil.

I've got to weigh in here: As a cracker born in B'ham, growing up during riots there, then moving to Memphis for more riots and hatred on both sides, then to Atlanta, I've got to fear the notion that the hatred from this idiot Jacque Patrick Fitzgerald is shared by more blacks than just a fringe group. If it were only he and a few other locos, I'd feel better. I really want to hear the black community step up and say this pathetic excuse for a human doesn't represent their feelings, just like I publicly disavow the hatred by the KKK. Silence from the black community, esp the Southern religious black community is making me very uneasy. Usually they shoot straight and have no problem saying what’s on their minds; I mean the real religious community, not hustlers like Al and Jesse. The real black religious community, at least in Atlanta, has put their money where their mouth is for decades and are highly respected for that. Silence from them, and even Al and Jesse is going to give the white race baiters more ammo than most suspect. We stand to lose decades of progress, especially in the South if Fitzgerald is allowed to tacitly assume the voice of the killers, and worse the white perception of the black community at large. I don’t want to see four decades begin to swirl the drain, but it could happen. This is a pivotal case.

Crypto6

In my opinion, all that were involved should get nothing short of the death penalty. Forget life behind prison or 50 years. This was a crime that didn't take place within minutes...it went on and on and on. There's no justification for what they did.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6548984&nav=menu7_2

Christopher Newsom's family speaks about double murder

"The family of murder victim Christopher Newsom, 23, is giving 6 News more insight into what happened to their son and their thoughts about his killers.

Newsom and his girlfriend Channon Christian were the victims of a brutal double murder in January. Four suspects in their deaths won't see trial until next year.
"It's like living in a nightmare that never ends," says Chris' mother, Mary Newsom.
For parents Hugh and Mary Newsom, it's a pain that won't go away. Their only son Chris found murdered and burned. His body was discarded beside railroad tracks. Chris was on a date with his girlfriend Channon when they were carjacked and murdered.
The Newsoms say they have to hold back in court every time the suspects face a judge.
"We hate them every time we see them, more and more," Mary says.
"They've shown no remorse that I've detected," Hugh adds. "I could make Swiss cheese out of them very easy, with no hesitation and no guilt feeling."

As always, more at the link.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=45445

Newsom family talks about murders and controversy

"It's been months since Hugh and Mary Newsom have spoken publicly about their son's murder. Now that the trial dates have been set for Chris' accused killers, and the investigation is further along, they are comfortable with sharing their story.

The Newsom's say in the months since they got the news their son was shot and burned, they have struggled with their faith and beliefs.

Chris was their legacy which is now lost. "Between Hugh and I, he was ours and now the Newsom name will not go on which really hurts my husband a lot," Mary Newsom said.

Hugh talks about taking his son fishing and teaching him to play baseball even before Chris went to Kindergarten. But now, Mary says those childhood memories are tainted with thoughts of the night he was murdered. "When I look at his pictures now all I can think about is what they've done to my beautiful boy."

The Newsom's think about past conversations with their son , who was only 23 years old at the time of his death. Mary remembers a phone call from Chris about selling his motorcycle. The reason is an eerie irony she plays over and over in her mind. "I said Chris I'm so glad that you did, but why did you do it and he said 'because I wanted a future'".

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=45412

UPDATED: Channon Christian's parents share their idea of "justice"

"Gary Christian, a Texas native, says his version of justice for those accused in his daughter's rape and murder isn't allowed.

"I can't comment on what I think justice would be," Gary said. "They already told me no."

Sitting on the sidelines at every court appearance, watching prosecutors do the job for them, is tough.

In the suspects' first federal court appearances, Gary was seen forming a gun with his thumb and index finger.

"I got in trouble for that with my wife," he explained. "The way I see it, it's no different than hunting back in East Texas, sitting in a deer stand and looking out and seeing a pack of wild dogs. They just bring them in one at a time."

"They took our baby girl, what does anybody expect?" Deen Christian said.

Both Channon Christian's parents expect the death penalty.

"That's the closest thing I'll ever get to living up to the promises I made my daughter," Gary said."

While any murder is horrible, it's not just a simple car jacking where they shot them and threw them on the side of the road. This was torture that lasted for quite some time ultimately ending in murder.

I've always been one of those people "somewhat uncomfortable with the death penalty" because of the whole "Thou shalt not sit in judgement", but in cases like these, those folks don't need to be on the earth. (And not just them, the Ted Bundys, Mansons etc)

While any murder is horrible, it's not just a simple car jacking where they shot them and threw them on the side of the road. This was torture that lasted for quite some time ultimately ending in murder.

I've always been one of those people "somewhat uncomfortable with the death penalty" because of the whole "Thou shalt not sit in judgement", but in cases like these, those folks don't need to be on the earth. (And not just them, the Ted Bundys, Mansons etc)

Amen Malpoo!!

I have always heard it is worse in the south...is that true? I just dont understand it, if those sickos were white I would feel the same disgust for them. To do what they did is horrible. I feel so much pain for those parents. To have to bury you child in that condition must be hard on any parent. I hope they all get what they deserve!!

The South has more healing to do as regards black/white racial issues because of our history with slavery and the Civil War. IMHO.

I totally agree with the parents of the victims on the race card. I don't believe it started that way, but possibly ended that way. However, Channon's father said it well-they're wild animals, no matter what color they are. Such a sickening crime.

From article at WATE:
But now, their son's murder is being used as a tool for white supremacist's groups, decrying black on white crime.

"I don't like that at all and I know Chris and Channon would not want to be a part of that. That's not what they stood for," Mary says.

The Newsom family says they've had no contact with any of the groups and don't plan to. The Newsoms say the groups are also spreading misinformation that the couple's bodies were dismembered.

"Prosecutors have assured us that's not the case. There was nothing missing from either body," Hugh says.
More at link: WATE.com

While they still suffered horrendous terror and agonizing pain and humiliation, I am glad to hear that the young couple did not have body parts cut off, as had previously been depicted. I can't imagine their suffering, and now that of their family and friends. May the young couple rest in peace, and may the family find the strength to fight for justice for their children.

I agree Samhoney. I have always been opposed to the death penalty but in this case I don't see how the point in letting these people live. That poor couple and their poor families. Man...

I've got to weigh in here: As a cracker born in B'ham, growing up during riots there, then moving to Memphis for more riots and hatred on both sides, then to Atlanta, I've got to fear the notion that the hatred from this idiot Jacque Patrick Fitzgerald is shared by more blacks than just a fringe group. If it were only he and a few other locos, I'd feel better. I really want to hear the black community step up and say this pathetic excuse for a human doesn't represent their feelings, just like I publicly disavow the hatred by the KKK. Silence from the black community, esp the Southern religious black community is making me very uneasy. Usually they shoot straight and have no problem saying what’s on their minds; I mean the real religious community, not hustlers like Al and Jesse. The real black religious community, at least in Atlanta, has put their money where their mouth is for decades and are highly respected for that. Silence from them, and even Al and Jesse is going to give the white race baiters more ammo than most suspect. We stand to lose decades of progress, especially in the South if Fitzgerald is allowed to tacitly assume the voice of the killers, and worse the white perception of the black community at large. I don’t want to see four decades begin to swirl the drain, but it could happen. This is a pivotal case.

Crypto6

Very well said Crypto6 and I totally agree. No one should let this quack become their spokesperson, he is on the same spectrum as the KKK.
I remember when I was about 17 the KKK staged a march through my town in MD. We didn't know about it ahead of time and me and a bunch of friends were hanging out and saw the march. It was quite a sight and you really couldn't help but laugh at them. They really looked ridiculous. One of my friends is a very built African American. He decided to make a bigger joke of them and picked me up and put me on his shoulders ("I'm 5'4, 120 lbs, blonde hair, brown eyes" He then walked to the edge of the march and right up to one of the "breathen" and said "Hi, my name is Keith and I like everyone" and the look in that guys eyes was truly terrifying. He just glared at us both and looked at me and said my father should've taught me better, I just said, "No, that's YOUR problem!" Then the cops that were trying to keep peace asked us to move away and ignore them. It was really scary though and totally out of place where they choose to "demonstrate" their hatred.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/index.html

Yesterday, the Knox County Commission committee voted 6-2, with one abstention, to ask that the Against Black Crimes (ABC) Group, cancel a rally they had planned for June 16 in front of the former Knox County Courthouse. Ken Gregg, who has a history with the White Patriot Party, filed the group's permit application. According to a website allegedly affiliated with Gregg, the purpose of the rally was to protest black-on-white crime.
"While recognizing the First Amendment rights of all, the Knox County Commission strongly needs to request that the rally not be held," Commissioner Greg Lambert said during the meeting. "This community has seen a hate crime the likes of which we've never seen. I don't want these racist hate mongers to come here."

Much more at link. I hope these people get what is coming to them!

This may have been posted, I read up to page 4 and didn't see anything - I googled the victims names to read more up on them and came across this site which has me spitting nails!

While this may be only one person's opinion as a journalist (if you want to call them that IMO) how many other's share their view?

http://www.americanpatriate.com/was_channon_christian_asking_for_it.html

Snip -

DID CHANNON CHRISTIAN WANT 'DEATH BY SEXUAL TORTURE?'

Jacque Patrick Fitzgerald (Knoxville) - SvengaliMedia Journalist Waldorf Carathers' race oriented journalism has ignited racial tension in another community escalating tensions between its blacks and whites.

Carathers, best known for his coverage of the Jennifer Ross, Michael Thorpe robbery and murder trial has focused his attention on the deaths of Channon Christion and Christopher Newsom and the forecoming trials of Lemaricus Davidson and Letalvis Cobbins.

What turned the 'simple' carjacking into a kidnapping, rape and murder?" Carathers asks. "Did Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom know their assailants?" "Had they traveled down seedy Washington Pike to buy drugs?" "Did Channon arraign to have Christopher murdered?" "Did she want a 'black gang-bang'; Was Channon Christian asking for it?

His questions have generated what is being described as the 'ugliest racial dialogue on the internet'.

Below is an excerpt:
"Channon Christian Lie and Cover-up: I am reading alot of lies and untruths about that white devil, Channon Christian . ... SHE KNEW HER 'attackers' ..staged the whole thing. Being a privlidged white *advertiser censored* and the heiress of slaveowners, she was only focused on her own selfish life of sex and drugs. Tired of her boyfriend .. focused on a gangbang with Black males she knew -

Our Brothers agreed out of fear and did everything (that she told them to do) including using her filthy body as she told them to .. acts of torture .. demanded .. her sexual fantacies included killing her .. Only a daughter of the devil himself would want to be ****ed and tortured to death."
To many Carathers' reporting is reprehensible.
l
Pretty F8$&#6@@! sick!!!
ST. NICOLAS THIEF & KNOXVILLE BLACKS PLAN WASHINGTON PIKE SOCIAL ACTION PROTEST PARTY TO CELEBRATE UNDERPRIVILEGED BLACKS WHO VICTIMIZE PRIVILEGED WHITES

Jacque Patrick Fitzgerald (Knoxville) - St. Nicolas Thief, president and founder of Black Poverty Speaks, along with many local Knoxville blacks who live in the Washington Pike area has organized a social action protest celebration championing Lemaricus Davidson and Letalvis Cobbins.

Davidson and Cobbins are the brothers and two of the five suspects charged in the carjacking, kidnapping, rape and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

"We're coordinating the celebration to to jive with the march angry whites are planning in memory of the victims and because of the 'media black-out' they note the case is receiving from national news networks," Thief, who is currently stationed in Knoxville, said.

"We're celebrating underprivileged Knoxville blacks who victimize privileged Knoxville whites," he added.

"If you come down here, you're either visiting someone or you're buying drugs," said, Misty Boshears, 31, who lives near Washington Pike. "I'm shocked, but I'm not shocked," of Christian and Newsom's murders, Boshears said. "I don't allow my girl to play outside because of the danger."

Another neighbor, Carl Hunley, who lives next door to the house where Christian's body was found, said three weeks prior to Christian's body being discovered, there was a drive-by shooting at the house.

"These are the kinds of communities we live in all throughout this country," St. Nicolas Thief said. "These communities are the legacies of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade.

"That whites' ancestors and the government hasn't and doesn't educate whites on how the legacy of slavery has created the impoverished conditions that do continue to influence and trap our people doesn't mean we have to excuse their ignorance.

"There's going to be a party in Knoxville and America everytime black poverty speaks and privileged whites suffer"

This may have been posted, I read up to page 4 and didn't see anything - I googled the victims names to read more up on them and came across this site which has me spitting nails!

While this may be only one person's opinion as a journalist (if you want to call them that IMO) how many other's share their view?

http://www.americanpatriate.com/was_channon_christian_asking_for_it.html

Snip -

DID CHANNON CHRISTIAN WANT 'DEATH BY SEXUAL TORTURE?'

Jacque Patrick Fitzgerald (Knoxville) - SvengaliMedia Journalist Waldorf Carathers' race oriented journalism has ignited racial tension in another community escalating tensions between its blacks and whites.

Carathers, best known for his coverage of the Jennifer Ross, Michael Thorpe robbery and murder trial has focused his attention on the deaths of Channon Christion and Christopher Newsom and the forecoming trials of Lemaricus Davidson and Letalvis Cobbins.

What turned the 'simple' carjacking into a kidnapping, rape and murder?" Carathers asks. "Did Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom know their assailants?" "Had they traveled down seedy Washington Pike to buy drugs?" "Did Channon arraign to have Christopher murdered?" "Did she want a 'black gang-bang'; Was Channon Christian asking for it?

His questions have generated what is being described as the 'ugliest racial dialogue on the internet'.

Below is an excerpt:
"Channon Christian Lie and Cover-up: I am reading alot of lies and untruths about that white devil, Channon Christian . ... SHE KNEW HER 'attackers' ..staged the whole thing. Being a privlidged white *advertiser censored* and the heiress of slaveowners, she was only focused on her own selfish life of sex and drugs. Tired of her boyfriend .. focused on a gangbang with Black males she knew -​

Our Brothers agreed out of fear and did everything (that she told them to do) including using her filthy body as she told them to .. acts of torture .. demanded .. her sexual fantacies included killing her .. Only a daughter of the devil himself would want to be ****ed and tortured to death."​
To many Carathers' reporting is reprehensible.
l
Pretty F8$&#6@@! sick!!!
ST. NICOLAS THIEF & KNOXVILLE BLACKS PLAN WASHINGTON PIKE SOCIAL ACTION PROTEST PARTY TO CELEBRATE UNDERPRIVILEGED BLACKS WHO VICTIMIZE PRIVILEGED WHITES

Jacque Patrick Fitzgerald (Knoxville) - St. Nicolas Thief, president and founder of Black Poverty Speaks, along with many local Knoxville blacks who live in the Washington Pike area has organized a social action protest celebration championing Lemaricus Davidson and Letalvis Cobbins.

Davidson and Cobbins are the brothers and two of the five suspects charged in the carjacking, kidnapping, rape and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

"We're coordinating the celebration to to jive with the march angry whites are planning in memory of the victims and because of the 'media black-out' they note the case is receiving from national news networks," Thief, who is currently stationed in Knoxville, said.

"We're celebrating underprivileged Knoxville blacks who victimize privileged Knoxville whites," he added.

"If you come down here, you're either visiting someone or you're buying drugs," said, Misty Boshears, 31, who lives near Washington Pike. "I'm shocked, but I'm not shocked," of Christian and Newsom's murders, Boshears said. "I don't allow my girl to play outside because of the danger."

Another neighbor, Carl Hunley, who lives next door to the house where Christian's body was found, said three weeks prior to Christian's body being discovered, there was a drive-by shooting at the house.

"These are the kinds of communities we live in all throughout this country," St. Nicolas Thief said. "These communities are the legacies of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade.

"That whites' ancestors and the government hasn't and doesn't educate whites on how the legacy of slavery has created the impoverished conditions that do continue to influence and trap our people doesn't mean we have to excuse their ignorance.

"There's going to be a party in Knoxville and America everytime black poverty speaks and privileged whites suffer"

I am speechless. So they know they are pinned up against the wall so they say she wanted that. Come on I could never imagine this to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288