Found Deceased TN - Curtis Williams, hiker, Pocket Wilderness, Laurel Snow State Natural Area, Dayton, 10 May 2021

moonriverfarm

Reaction score
Missing hiker

Curtis Dustin Williams & "Brother"
Pocket Wilderness, Tennessee
May 10, 2021
Curtis is missing in the area of Pocket Wilderness in The Laurel Snow State Natural Area just northwest of Dayton.
He was last seen around 3:30pm, 5-10-2021, via a Facebook live video at Buzzard Point.
He was with his dog, Brother.
He was wearing a maroon shirt a North Carolina hat and shorts.
If anyone sees him or the dog please call Sheriff’s Office dispatch at 423-775-7837 or 911

Rhea County Emergency Management
184109071_5737704689580868_2721792276141410139_n.jpg

184344120_5737703262914344_4871857300939578712_n.jpg

Oh my, this is worrisome. He sounds like a great guy and dad. He is, however, in a bit of wilderness. Broken leg, sprained back, other injury perhaps? And what kind of cell service would he get there in an emergency -- assuming he has a still-charged cell phone. Also assuming his dog would never leave him.
Prayers for this man, his family and hoping a search is ongoing, or that one is planned soon.
Thanks for the thread, @moonriverfarm. Following.

I saw this information on more than one site but here is the latest link. The dog did not belong to the missing man. He was "dog-sitting" and the dog was returned to his owner. I think if the dog was not overly bonded with Mr. Williams, not being a family pet, he may not have stuck around if separated from Mr. Williams. Dog with missing Laurel-Snow hiker found as search continues for man

MAY 18, 2021
UPDATE: Volunteers no longer needed as search for missing hiker - WRCBtv.com
UPDATE: The Rhea County Sheriff's Department is no longer asking for volunteers to help with the search for a missing hiker.

The search for Curtis Dean Williams continues on Tuesday. The sheriff's office says several volunteers showed up to help and additional volunteers are no longer needed.

[...]

Does that sound like they may have found him ?
To avoid possibly contaminating any clues with an excess of people combing the area SAR and/or LE may limit the number of those in the area. If they already have volunteers they may not have wanted more for this reason. I think if he were found there would have been a statement made.

Hopefully they'll find Curtis soon. I get the fact that he's experienced, but there is always the chance he may have gotten separated from his supplies or is too injured to use any of them. I'm praying for a good outcome.
Search Expands for Curtis Dustin Williams from N. Carolina - WDEF
17 May 2021
SBM

Curtis’ personal hiking experience has searchers confident that he could still be alive. “There’s plenty of water out there. He’s an avid hiker. He knows what to bring. What to keep in his backpack” says Potter. “We don’t know really how many days he had planned on staying but he knows how to live off the land according to the people that I’ve talked with.”

So glad to hear they are still looking and serious about it!
Interesting that he was dog sitting. I wonder if the dog could have gotten away from him and he had to follow it. That could have taken him off trail, into unfamiliar and unplanned locations, going faster than he might like, on terrain that would be easy for a dog but tough for a person....

IMO just speculating on variables.
Im glad to read the searchers are confident in his skills.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giulian.57
Back