TN - DOC Administrator Debra Johnson murdered by inmate Curtis Ray Watson, 44, Henning, 7 Aug 2019

Inmate who escaped Tennessee prison on tractor seen at corrections officer's home before body found | Daily Mail Online

Nothing really new at DM, but they do always have great photos. Enlarged images of Watson's tattoos and 2 mugshots. Did anyone else notice the almost 2-inch difference in height from 74" in 2011 to 72" in 2013? He also looked so thin in 2013 and much larger now. I only noticed because I was wondering just how big he is.... looks large and mean.

ETA: Also, at the Heavy.com link, the newer mugshot shows 73" and in the article text:

"...Curtis Ray Watson, 44, is a white male, 5’11”, 140 pounds, with brown eyes, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. ..."

o_O

My eyes aren't that bad! He's 200 pounds and 6 feet+ tall.

Last edited:
Like many of you, I too am absolutely baffled why this creature was on a work detail. I certainly hope this tragic situation makes TDOC take a second look at their prison work program and make some big changes. This never, ever should have happened. I don't care how good his behavior was in prison, his violent history speaks for itself. I certainly wouldn't mind if he went out in a hail of bullets without anyone else getting hurt.

Like many of you, I too am absolutely baffled why this creature was on a work detail. I certainly hope this tragic situation makes TDOC take a second look at their prison work program and make some big changes. This never, ever should have happened. I don't care how good his behavior was in prison, his violent history speaks for itself. I certainly wouldn't mind if he went out in a hail of bullets without anyone else getting hurt.
I suppose that many people (even inside the prison system) don't understand that some criminals are not reformable. They cannot stay on a work detail, they can't work outside prison not even for a few hours.
They must kept in a cage (literally....) :mad:

Dangerous escaped inmate spotted in west Tenn.

SABBM:
Pictures out of Henning in west Tennessee show Watson in what appears to be in camp overalls and a hat and carrying a camp backpack.

A timestamp on the photos, taken from a doorbell camera at an area home, show they were taken around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Residents in the area should be on alert.

Photos at link of the confirmed sighting.

He's changed clothes, and was seen carrying a backpack.

Looks like he's breaking into people's homes and stealing supplies.

It's only a matter of time until someone else gets seriously hurt or killed if they don't catch this guy soon.

Here's hoping today is the day they get him.

JMO.

Dangerous escaped inmate spotted in west Tenn.

SABBM:
Pictures out of Henning in west Tennessee show Watson in what appears to be in camp overalls and a hat and carrying a camp backpack.

A timestamp on the photos, taken from a doorbell camera at an area home, show they were taken around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Residents in the area should be on alert.

Photos at link of the confirmed sighting.

He's changed clothes, and was seen carrying a backpack.

Looks like he's breaking into people's homes and stealing supplies.

It's only a matter of time until someone else gets seriously hurt or killed if they don't catch this guy soon.

Here's hoping today is the day they get him.

JMO.
Lol @GordianKnot , we're on it! You've had coffee before me.

what was the prison official doing at home midmorning on a weekday?
seems like Watson had way too much discretion in his workplace for being a convicted violent offender
was his motive to escape or to commit rape/murder?
was this a crime of opportunity?
A previous article posted stated that he was seen arriving at her residence on a golf cart and leaving on a tractor. That leads me to believe she may live adjacent to the equipment storage area. I can only imagine that when you live where you work, you could run home for various reasons. Not to be funny, but nobody likes to poop at work. You never know why she was there at that time... MOO

A previous article posted stated that he was seen arriving at her residence on a golf cart and leaving on a tractor. That leads me to believe she may live adjacent to the equipment storage area. I can only imagine that when you live where you work, you could run home for various reasons. Not to be funny, but nobody likes to poop at work. You never know why she was there at that time... MOO
Because of the meeting, she may have rescheduled her hours for the day. Or she may have been doing last minute prep at home for the meeting. She may have had 9am - 5pm hours. It's so easy to go home for just about anything when you reside in prison housing. Lunch is better too.

Last edited:
he has family there... no need to break into anyone else's home.

Ugh, this is awfully scary for folks in that area.
Do you remember the inmates who escaped Hays State Prison, Georgia? Michael Tweedel and Johnny Mack Brown? They hid in the search grids, and then escaped into the community.

What a prison escape tells me is that leadership was not present, consistency with the COs was absent ...They will find out information from the COs who worked with him on a consistent basis. Did they notice unusual behavior that they did not report? What he was doing in a work detail is beyond me. Those are usually only for minimum security inmates. Just some thoughts...

what was the prison official doing at home midmorning on a weekday?
seems like Watson had way too much discretion in his workplace for being a convicted violent offender
was his motive to escape or to commit rape/murder?
was this a crime of opportunity?

See post #36
"He was released from the prison about 7 a.m. Wednesday for his daily mowing duties. Through his position at the prison, he had access to equipment, including a tractor and a golf cart, according to an affidavit. At about 8:30 a.m., correctional officers saw Watson in a golf cart at the home of Debra Johnson, a corrections administrator at the prison. Johnson lived in one of about a dozen on-site residences at the prison facility."

Basically it looks like he got there before she went to work (as an administrator I expect she had normal weekday working hours). And when she didn't show up after 2-3 hours and hadn't called to inform people they went looking for her.

My own guess it that he suddenly felt an overwhelming desire to rape her (his history shows a lack of control). And after he raped and murdered her he realized he had to flee. Because if he had planned the escape he surely would have gotten further than the 12 miles to Henning from the prison in 5 days.

See post #36
"He was released from the prison about 7 a.m. Wednesday for his daily mowing duties. Through his position at the prison, he had access to equipment, including a tractor and a golf cart, according to an affidavit. At about 8:30 a.m., correctional officers saw Watson in a golf cart at the home of Debra Johnson, a corrections administrator at the prison. Johnson lived in one of about a dozen on-site residences at the prison facility."

Basically it looks like he got there before she went to work (as an administrator I expect she had normal weekday working hours). And when she didn't show up after 2-3 hours and hadn't called to inform people they went looking for her.

My own guess it that he suddenly felt an overwhelming desire to rape her (his history shows a lack of control). And after he raped and murdered her he realized he had to flee. Because if he had planned the escape he surely would have gotten further than the 12 miles to Henning from the prison in 5 days.
Thank you. Very insightful. I agree, not planned, or he would have had a confederate on the outside whisk him away to Nashville or Little Rock. I think we must look at his original crime, sexual depredation, and realize The Urge was just too much for him to resist. Maybe he was a houseboy of some sort to the victim warden. IMO he would have cased out her routine and house. He knew what he wanted, and he wanted it bad. Usually his type can be accommodated within the walls, tho

That should be the last we see of this turd. Killing a woman who put in 38 years with the TDOC should get him at least life imprisonment, if not the DP. No more work release for Curtis Watson.

Good riddance!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genepool48
Back