Found Deceased TN - David Riemens, 60, Watertown, 8 Aug 2012

If I am correct, the property where the remains were found adjoin the property where David lived. If David were walking home from the Dollar General store, he most likely would have cut through this property.

Wow cutter99, strange developments! I was surprised to read that the remains, possibly those of David, were found so 'near' (how near?) to his home.

Why would he walk if he had a truck? Why leave the truck?

And why would the sniffer dog not pick up his trail if he walked?

:eek:hwow: :eek:hwow:

I have asked myself the same thing Zazara, and I honestly don’t like to think where Occam’s Razor leads me. Am waiting to see if there is any news coverage out of Nashville at 6 pm.

From what I saw online this afternoon, the properties share a property line.

https://www.wilsonpost.com/news/bry...cle_8c8f3964-020f-11e8-b973-ffb199b8075f.html

Investigators were quick to note positive identification of the remains would take 24 to 48 hours;

“We do have a DNA profile on Riemens,” Stafford said. “We have dental records on Riemens.”

On Thursday, Bryan said it appeared the remains had been on the property for quite some time.

“I can say there was different articles of clothing, which we’ll compare to what some people may have saw him wearing that day,” Bryan said.

And while the investigation has been open for nearly six years, creating a case file roughly 300 pages long and seeing between 75 and 100 people interviewed, Bryan noted that – if the remains prove to be those of Riemens – it would not be cause for investigators to celebrate.

“The main thing right now, if it is David Riemens, is he was a human being,” Bryan said. “He’s got family, and there will be some closure for them.”

BBM

Lead story on News Channel 5 out of Nashville. They had a live reporter on the scene. I also watched WSMV, who are covering the story as well.

They are not naming the caller who reported finding the skull. Coincidental that a plea was made on the Facebook page for leads last week, “If only his bones”??? That is a direct quote from the page made on January 17, 2018.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37350146/skull-other-human-remains-found-in-wooded-area-near-watertown

"I would love to have an outcome where he just comes back home but I know that is not realistic," Allison Reynolds said.

Reynolds has known Riemens since she was a little girl. She said he was like an uncle to her.
"He was a really spirited person. He never met a stranger," Reynolds said.

Now there are more questions than answers.

"I feel like somebody probably did something to him for him to end up in this condition. I don't think it was an accident. That's my feeling," Reynolds said.

BBM

I believe the clothing was different, but they are going to relook at the evidence of what people had reported he was wearing. I think it is probably David tho.If someone did pick him up at his truck they could have still harmed him and put the remains "close" to his property to put suspicion on someone else.

The other possibility was that he experienced truck trouble and decided to walk home, and had a medical event of some sort. I assume it would be very difficult to determine cause of death unless there is trama to the skeleton.

There is a post on the Facebook page under the comments that his friends had searched in that area at the time of David’s disappearance.

The other possibility was that he experienced truck trouble and decided to walk home, and had a medical event of some sort. I assume it would be very difficult to determine cause of death unless there is trama to the skeleton.

Eehhh.... why would he walk home when there was help nearby? In front of the store? Nothing was mentioned about problems with the truck when it was found.

Then again, I can't think of a reason why a perpetrator would go to lengths to leave a body near where David lived instead of burying it six feet under deep in the woods, or in one of those cemetaries that you mentioned.

All assuming that he had no reason to be where he was found. If the truck had not been left in the parking lot, but instead had been parked at home, an accident or a medical situation near where he lived would have been far more likely. It is still possible, but that does not explain where he was found, nor why he left the car.

:gaah:

RIP David. I am saddened he is gone but relieved for his family he has been found. Can a mod change the caption to show found"

Curious to know what happened but possibly never will know.

Wilson County Sheriffs Office

https://www.facebook.com/wilsoncosh...2458.210024915681898/2027099533974418/?type=3

WATERTOWN, TN – An intact skull was located on a property off of Taylor Road in Watertown on Sunday afternoon which led detectives to the location of the human remains of longtime missing person, David Riemens. With the weather not cooperating with the search, detectives were not able to conduct a thorough search until yesterday morning. Riemens had been missing since August 8, 2012, as the high-profile case received national attention after vanishing from the parking lot of a Dollar General Store in Watertown, Tennessee, at the age of 60. Experts have positively identified the remains to Riemens, an artist and stonemason who appeared to have a lifestyle of living off the grid.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and to the community of Watertown where he was very well thought of by everyone that knew him,” stated Sheriff Robert Bryan. “We appreciate all of the help we received in an attempt to locate Mr. Riemens. He lived off the grid, with no social media accounts, credit cards or cell phones which made this case very tough on finding leads; tracking his movements digitally was out of the question. This case will continue to be investigated by our Criminal Investigation Division.”

RIP David Riemens. So sad. It wasn't likely that he would turn up alive, but still, that is what many were hoping for, myself included, against all the odds.

Thinking of all his friends and family today. :rose:

I live just a few miles from this site and, grew up in this community. I have been following this since the beginning. While I grieve along with the rest of the community at large, I cannot help but wonder how his remains were overlooked during the initial search which included the area where he was found. The area is roughly 2 miles from where he was last seen and, about the same distance to his home. It is a place that is well traveled by younger folks who "party" and hike the area often. I cannot help but believe there is a part of the story that is yet to be revealed by the Sheriff's department.
It is hard to fathom that animal activity (Buzzards) would not have been obvious, as well as the smell. His final resting place was almost visible from highway 70. The discovery brings more questions than answers at the moment.

RIP David. I hope they're able to determine the cause of death.

I live just a few miles from this site and, grew up in this community. I have been following this since the beginning. While I grieve along with the rest of the community at large, I cannot help but wonder how his remains were overlooked during the initial search which included the area where he was found. The area is roughly 2 miles from where he was last seen and, about the same distance to his home. It is a place that is well traveled by younger folks who "party" and hike the area often. I cannot help but believe there is a part of the story that is yet to be revealed by the Sheriff's department.
It is hard to fathom that animal activity (Buzzards) would not have been obvious, as well as the smell. His final resting place was almost visible from highway 70. The discovery brings more questions than answers at the moment.

Do you know if they specifically searched around the farm he lived on? Do you know if there were any reports of issues with his truck like it wasn’t running right or was having issues starting?

It is interesting that 1) they have not named the person who called in the tip, and 2) they did not seem to rush out to recover the remains.

I live in the area too and the weather was not bad on Monday. It rained mid- morning and was sunny by mid-afternoon. It did not particularly rain all that hard. Why the lack of urgency?

I agree about the buzzards. It does not take long for them to appear, and the smell that time of year would be putrid.

I had an Aunt who knew how to date Old Brick, meaning that she knew how to determine the age of bricks made of clay. My parents had a fireplace made in their living room, with a ledge around it, made from 'antique bricks'. So the Aunt comes to visit, takes a look at the ledge, takes more time to study the bricks and says: Oh my, that stone dates from around the year 1450! (Dear reader, we're in Europe here.)

She also explained why that was so, and I wish I'd remember more... what I do remember is that the specific size of the brick is one of the factors.

There are some rumours out there on the internet that the Old Man and his Old Bricks do not exist and that David made them up for a reason. IMHO the one thing that CONFIRMS David's story is that he had some of those bricks with him.

Here's what I would do. I would take the bricks to the History Department at the University, or to the FBI. Let them determine the age of the bricks. Let them determine everything they can. Once you know the age, and maybe the origin, study old maps and census records. Mind you, if the bricks were of good quality, they may have been used again, just like the bricks in my parents' fireplace ~ those did not come directly from a building from 1450 either.
So those bricks might have been recycled, but they would not have travelled far.

That is how I would do it.

:bricks: :lookingitup:

Do you know if they specifically searched around the farm he lived on? Do you know if there were any reports of issues with his truck like it wasn’t running right or was having issues starting?

About 200 people searched the area including right around where he was found. As for his truck, nothing was ever mentioned about the condition.

[h=3]Human remains found on Watertown farm identified as man missing since Aug. 2012[/h]
Sheriff Robert Bryan said experts positively identified the remains as David Riemens, who was last seen on Aug. 8, 2012.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and to the community of Watertown where he was very well thought of by everyone that knew him," Bryan said in a news release. "We appreciate all of the help we received in an attempt to locate Mr. Riemens."
http://www.wsmv.com/story/37350146/...farm-identified-as-man-missing-since-aug-2012

Human remains found in Watertown identified as David Riemens

http://www.lebanondemocrat.com/Law-...in-Watertown-identified-as-David-Riemens.html

(Here's another one.)

I really hate to hear this. I didn't believe it, but a big part of me had hoped that he really was just out there, living a dream someplace else. :-(

The more I read and think about this case, the more I feel that it was more personal and hit closer to home than people might think. While I do not believe the N's are involved, I feel that it was VERY likely someone he knew and maybe even trusted. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the "old man" with the project was really just a cover story that David was using for something else and he got caught. (I am not insinuating that David did anything illegal.)

ETA: I want to say that I found it VERY odd when they asked his friend if he'd seen David and he said that he was in Michigan, but that his truck was at DG and that it had been there for a few days. Didn't he wonder why David had left his truck there? Didn't it raise an alarm bells for him, especially since David was supposedly in Michigan? How did he think David got to Michigan?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back