Found Deceased TN - David Riemens, 60, Watertown, 8 Aug 2012

Unless he had a medical event like a heart attack. Plus, no one knows if he died immediately. The area he was found in was never searched.

H
Unless he had a medical event like a heart attack. Plus, no one knows if he died immediately. The area he was found in was never searched.

Hi Cutter99, how are you?
Any news about the car keys or the wallet? What do the locals say?

Weirdly, there has not been a word locally. Have heard nothing about a wallet or car keys.

I am not sure there will ever be closure on this. David’s remain had been out there for so long I doubt there is much to be gleaned from them.

I still continue to think there is more to this. The only health problem mentioned that I have heard was his vision---he was losing his eyesight. I am sure his family have plenty of the same questions mentioned here. Honestly, I think it would be horrible not to know if your loved one suffered or was attacked. The police said there were drug dealers in the general vicinity. I wonder if he stumbled upon some bad thing going down? Several quotes were that 'we may never know'---probably true.

There are drug dealers all over TN, just like anywhere in the U.S. at this time. It is either meth or pills. The rural areas of the state and lack of law enforcement make it ideal to cook meth in places no one will ever know about. The opioid epidemic is about the same here as anywhere else.

Watertown is no hotbed of drug activity. There are much worse areas locally than where David’s remains were found.

Weirdly, there has not been a word locally. Have heard nothing about a wallet or car keys.

I am not sure there will ever be closure on this. David’s remain had been out there for so long I doubt there is much to be gleaned from them.

I just finished reading the entire thread, and you are a good source of all things local, cutter99! <modsnip re 'gossip'> so yes it is very weird that there are no words locally now.
I mean nothing on the wallet and the car keys? Nothing at all? When it was known that it was unusual for David to lock his car yet he left it locked when he disappeared?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say it was made public fairly early on that David usually did not lock his vehicle. It is a fairly common practice around here to not lock your vehicle. Everyone laughed at us coming from the more heavily populated North because we lock everything, including the gates to all our fields.

We did have the last laugh on that subject recently, as there was a police chase that ended back here in our holler with an ensuing manhunt. People were worried about the fugitives taking off in their vehicles because they leave them unlocked with the keys in the ignition. We didn’t have that worry!

I have seen it theorized that David locked his truck that particular day because he had tools of value in it. It would make sense then that he locked it as it was parked in the Dollar General lot right next to the main road.

If I were going to leave my vehicle parked because it was not running or having some sort of issue and walk home, I would take what I absolutely needed with me, lock the vehicle and start walking.

In my opinion, if his keys and wallet were found with him, it would be very telling. In my mind, it would rule out robbery, especially if the money he had withdrawn recently from the bank was recovered with his remains.

For those who think his walk was long or far because his body was found over a mile and a half from the Dollar General, that distance is not unusual for this area. My closest neighbor on one side of my property is 3/4 mile from my house, as is the neighbor to the rear. Many of us walk our properties regularly to check livestock, fence lines and to make sure nothing is going on that shouldn’t be. I have a neighbor, who was 76 when we moved here, who walked 3 miles in an ice storm to check cattle, even though he has both a four wheel drive truck, four wheeler and tractor. It is a way of life in this area.

Aagh cutter99, don't tell me the gossip has stopped!

What IS the gossip in the area? What do the good people of Watertown say?
If David locked his truck because he had tools of value in it, he would have carried his keys. If he had an accident, the keys would have been found near his remains.
Were the keys and the wallet found with the remains? Were they not?

Don't tell me Watertown has no questions or ideas about this. Why would they stop talking about David's mysterious disappearance now that he has been found?

No rumours from the sheriff's office? If so, Watertown must have the most tightlipped sheriff's office ever. Perhaps they do. But still.

Give me one good reason why they would not make it public if the wallet and the keys were found with the remains.

Absolutely no new word on the street, which is concerning.
Nothing from the sheriff’s office, coroner, or information being released to the public.

It has worried me because David’s local friends seemed so set on the fact that something nefarious had happened to him, that they might not be open to the possibility that he died of some sort of medical emergency while walking home from his disabled vehicle.

Absolutely no new word on the street, which is concerning.
Nothing from the sheriff’s office, coroner, or information being released to the public.

It has worried me because David’s local friends seemed so set on the fact that something nefarious had happened to him, that they might not be open to the possibility that he died of some sort of medical emergency while walking home from his disabled vehicle.

I can sympathize with David's friends. They knew him, they trusted him, so if he said he was going to meet a man about a job, then that was what he was going to do.
From that viewpoint, it is very strange that the (old?) man with the job never came forward, nor anyone who had the old brick on his property.
Then there is the dog who never found a trace of David that left the parking lot. Also, if something was the matter with the car, it never became clear what that might have been.

So, as much as I like the simple option that he walked home through the fields and had a medical emergency, this might explain his death, but it does not explain the circumstances (WHY?) nor the questions about the job and the stones.

IMHO it is also possible that the wallet and the car keys were NOT found with the remains. If they weren't found, I can imagine why LE would be keeping this secret.

#brainscratch

Any news? Update on the investigation?

I re-watched his DISAPPEARED episode the other day. It still makes me sad. I was checking on an update, too.

There has not been anything made public to my knowledge. Google brings up nothing new either.

There has not been anything made public to my knowledge. Google brings up nothing new either.

Wouldn't David's wallet have been returned to the family if it had been found with the remains?

There has not been much here locally after David’s memorial service. I honestly believe he died from a medical event when walking home.

I would think that if there was any evidence of foul play it would have been announced or made public. I would still like to know what was found with him as far as clothing, wallet, keys, personal effects, etc. I believe a lot could be learned by what was found with him.

This is the case that brought me to websleuths. He seemed like a wonderfully talented soul. It’s troubling that nothing has been released regarding his COD. I understand everyone who knew him said he was always in good spirits and no one seems to suspect suicide. However, I can’t help but to wonder if the autopsy results are not being released due to family request. This case has me perplexed bc I can see any of the commonly mentioned scenarios being plausible. Especially the medical emergency one, however, I really wish they would just release the manner of death or even if it is/is not considered suspicious. I too want to thank cutter for your input and information here. I hope one day we can have some sort of resolution as to what happened.

edited for spelling

It occurred on me that we somehow assume that David was walking home from the dollar store. But, reading through the thread, if the dog was right, David would have gotten into another car and he might have been dropped off at or near home later, only to realize that his car was still parked at the dollar store. Meaning he might have been on his way from home to retrieve it.

I hope they identify those bricks and the place they came from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back