Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ticks me off. Ticks me off even more knowing that she was a fellow true crime aficionado and could have even been a member here for all we know! As such, I'm sure she vigilantly followed all the recommended safety protocols. The horror she must have felt in her last moments is sickening to the soul. RIP Liza. :(

Please don't run alone if you are female, because even if you are as attuned to the sicko criminal minds and methodologies as we tend to be, and protect yourself with all the tools and gadgets as we tend to do (and as I'm sure she did), the elements of surprise and overwhelming force win virtually every time. The rational mind simply shuts down.

JMO.

Agree sadly, it’s no longer safe for women to jog alone no matter the area. It can happen anywhere.

The perps continue to increase their search for joggers.

I'm so glad she was found quickly. It's a terrible tragedy, and having the case solved is not going to change that, but it would have been harder for her family to be in terrified limbo for weeks, months, or years if all they knew was that she had gone on a run and not come back.

A lot of things had to go right to lead to this outcome: Her husband noticed very quickly, trusted his gut, and took it seriously, police didn't brush it off or tell him to wait 24 hours to make a report, a sharp-eyed witness turned in material evidence right away, good police work in gathering and reviewing the camera footage along her route, his brother's honesty when questioned.

I wonder what led them to that particular location? Fitness tracker information, GPS in the SUV, or his phone pings are my top guesses.

Good points- I think this case was resolved in record time- lots of elements had to come together to make this happen including a very responsive police department-- they deserve to be commended- finding her body was no easy task.

I have to say this: I know everyone deserves a defense, but if it was up to me he would be put to death - there is no defense- he is seen on CCTV abducting her, and I am sure there is a trove of evidence that led the police to her body. Imagine cases like this occurring before CCTV and DNA--- so many cases never solved. I can't wait for the defense: let's see: there is the insanity defense, there is the "that's not me on CCTV"- there is the I was abused as a child defense---there is pointing fingers at the somebody else defense- I could go on. and you what else fries my socks? when they dress these killers in a suit for court- that should not be allowed: I am sure this never donned a suit in his miserable life, yet they will dress him up real nice for trial. Rant over!

Agree sadly, it’s no longer safe for women to jog alone no matter the area. It can happen anywhere.

Exactly, remember Sydney Sutherland jogging in a rural area and murdered by someone that knew her.

Ticks me off. Ticks me off even more knowing that she was a fellow true crime aficionado and could have even been a member here for all we know! As such, I'm sure she vigilantly followed all the recommended safety protocols. The horror she must have felt in her last moments is sickening to the soul. RIP Liza. :(

Please don't run alone if you are female, because even if you are as attuned to the sicko criminal minds and methodologies as we tend to be, and protect yourself with all the tools and gadgets as we tend to do (and as I'm sure she did), the elements of surprise and overwhelming force win virtually every time. The rational mind simply shuts down.

JMO.
Telling people not to run alone is not a practical solution. Not all of us have people available at the same level of fitness to run with, and frankly, many more Americans die of lifestyle illnesses than of murder. She took all of the precautions that should have been necessary. Bad things happen even when you take all of the precautions you can.

Absolutely gutted by this one.

Out doing what she loved - JOGGING for god's sake.

And her life ends brutally and body discarded like it was nothing. Like she didn't matter. Like she was an after thought.

A mother and father lose thier daughter.

A husband his wife.

And two little children no longer have thier mama.

I know this happens every week/every where.

I will forever think about my surroundings now, when I bike/jog/walk to my car after shopping.

It will never end. Will women ever feel safe?

Premeditation does not have to mean he planned it days or weeks in advance. It can be seconds or minutes in advance. They have him on video waiting for her to pass while he is in his car - I believe that can be enough to be considered premeditated. It wasn’t heat of the moment.
I can understand the premeditated kidnapping but not murder … how can they say he premeditated murder unless they found something/evidence that suggested he planned to murder her before he grabbed her.

I don’t know you guys. I carry pepper spray when out yet I know I could be attacked in a way that I wouldn’t be able to get at it and use it correctly, you know? We can have all the weapons in the world but when there’s a predator determined to attack they become meaningless.
We should all be able to go out and do whatever at any time, wherever, without fear of attack.
A legally owned and carried handgun is the best defensive weapon possible, and legal in Tennessee--but a loaded handgun is heavy and would be tough for a jogger to carry. Yes it goes without saying we should all be able to go out and do whatever is legal at any time without fear of attack. But sadly this is not the case, nor has it ever been the case, anywhere in the world, anytime in the history of mankind. MOO

I can understand the premeditated kidnapping but not murder … how can they say he premeditated murder unless they found something/evidence that suggested he planned to murder her before he grabbed her.
In Tennessee, murder as part of the commission of a kidnapping is automatically first degree murder:

(a) First degree murder is:
(1) A premeditated and intentional killing of another;
(2) A killing of another committed in the perpetration of or attempt to perpetrate any first degree murder, arson, robbery, burglary, theft, kidnapping, aggravated abuse of an elderly or vulnerable adult in violation of § 39-15-511, aggravated neglect of an elderly or vulnerable adult in violation of § 39-15-508, aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect, or aircraft piracy

Premeditated can be seconds before the crime, I think this is because he “waited for her” in those seconds he had time to change his mind and didn’t. Doesn’t necessarily mean thought out and planned.
I think I used the wrong word - random, I’ve heard it so many times. I was thinking or meant to say that I thought he was waiting on someone - anyone, but I suspected he was at that particular location to snatch a college student not a 34 year old mother.

Our ‘Silent HERO - Eliza Fletcher’

Please, I implore you all to set your alarm timer for 4 minutes , then sit in silence for those 4 minutes.

Feel, really feel just how long 4 minutes truly are !!

Then remember that our dear Eliza fought with all she had, against this monster CA …
(He’s not worthy of his name)

SHE FOUGHT FOR THOSE FOUR MINUTES!

Imagine that …. I know that I couldn’t comprehend fighting with all I had for that long .
Sadly, her fight was not enough to free her.
Sleep tight dear Eliza , as you watch over your children and your school children.

‘OUR SILENT HERO, ELIZA’ ♥️♥️

As a 5’1 female jogger, I’m at a disadvantage physically as soon as my feet hit the pavement. And also, there’s the element of being caught off guard. Carrying pepper spray and/or other weapons is great when you have time to react. It’s unfortunate women jogging alone have become prey to these sick predators. No one is safe anymore.
I admittedly used to roll my eyes at my husband when he voiced concerns about me jogging alone in the dark. I’d feistily respond with, “No one wants to kidnap a woman in her late 30s.” I see now, age means nothing. It’s all about opportunity for these sick predators.

I don't think they have to know he planned to murder her to charge this offense. He premeditated the kidnapping by laying in wait. He killed her during the felony crime of kidnapping so he can be charged with 1st degree murder. He intended a violent crime and planned it so I believe the law considers that 1st degree murder because he was killed in the course of that pre planned violent crime. He can't say it was an accident if he planned to abduct her for bad intent.

Body found in a grassy lot along Victor St. (Post Presser/WREG News 3).
Driving through the 1600 block of Victor St on Google Streetview, I can't even imagine thinking that's a good place to hide remains. Houses very tightly packed together, lots of cars for the number of homes, looks like a block with a lot of people coming and going.

MPD states she was found in rear of vacant apartment duplex. Does that mean she was found inside or out? If outside I’m betting she was already deceased when he dumped her but if it was inside she could have still be alive and suffering. I pray to God she died quickly within those first 4 minutes and he didn’t have a chance to torture or assault her.

Driving through the 1600 block of Victor St on Google Streetview, I can't even imagine thinking that's a good place to hide remains. Houses very tightly packed together, lots of cars for the number of homes, looks like a block with a lot of people coming and going.
Like most sociopaths he probably didn’t think others would care enough to notice and be looking for her so soon and perhaps thought he’d have a chance to move her? I’m not sure but he doesn’t seem very bright at all so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth