Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

I actually think that putting the decision for a death penalty case on the victim's family is far too serious of a decision.

If the state of Tennessee decides that this is a death penalty case, they should move forward with this decision. Not defer it to the family of the victim. JMO.

And after looking at the statistics, of death row inmates in Tennessee, which I posted previously, with a link, some men have been on death row for decades. Sitting in their cells, getting food, recreation, medical care, free legal services.

I actually think that putting the decision for a death penalty case on the victim's family is far too serious of a decision.

If the state of Tennessee decides that this is a death penalty case, they should move forward with this decision. Not defer it to the family of the victim. JMO.

And after looking at the statistics, of death row inmates in Tennessee, which I posted previously, with a link, some men have been on death row for decades. Sitting in their cells, getting food, recreation, medical care, free legal services.
cali is the same. its not financially feasible.

My understanding is that they will consider the family’s wishes, not totally put the decision in their hands.

If DP were to be given, as you say, he’d likely sit in prison for decades before it happened, if ever. But he will still sit there with LWOP. Either way, he will receive prison “care” for the rest of his life.

It stinks from a fiscal perspective, but by far, it beats having him on the streets.

jmo

Abston-Henderson is set to report to court again Nov. 4.

No idea where you're getting this. There is no right to "free legal services" for convicted prisoners, on death row or otherwise. They could get services from The Innocence Project or other pro bono organizations in some cases, but those are very few and far between.

My understanding is that they will consider the family’s wishes, not totally put the decision in their hands.

If DP were to be given, as you say, he’d likely sit in prison for decades before it happened, if ever. But he will still sit there with LWOP. Either way, he will receive prison “care” for the rest of his life.

It stinks from a fiscal perspective, but by far, it beats having him on the streets.

jmo
My wish for Eliza's family - a plea deal is arranged and this whole gross tragedy of errors that culminated in her death is quickly wrapped up. I hate that the living victims have to endure years of court hearings, it's so frustrating to witness.

The other thing that's giving me heartburn in this case - the media needs to stop using pictures which include the Fletcher children. Stop, just stop.

To be clear, I was not responding as to why the first accuser didn’t garner more attention. I was responding strictly to whether the quick reaction to Eliza’s situation was only because of race and wealth. That is what was in disagreement. I posited that the response was because of a super-hot trail, and that I hold firmly as to the reason why.
I am quoting your post because I made the original suggestion that Liza's race and wealth may have had something to do with the quick police reaction. I really hope you are right and it was only because of the hot trail. I'm not going to belabor the point except to say that at the time Liza went missing there was a young black woman also missing yet there was no massive manhunt or even a lot of mention in the press. Honestly, I think it would be more likely to be about her wealth and family than her race. If it were my wife I would certainly mention her family to the police if for no other reason than so they know it could be a ransom kidnapping. And that could trigger a "holy media attention batman" reaction with police brass.

I don't think CA/H targeted her because of her race. I think it was all about her being a soft target and having female genitalia although I'm not even sure that mattered to him.

No idea where you're getting this. There is no right to "free legal services" for convicted prisoners, on death row or otherwise. They could get services from The Innocence Project or other pro bono organizations in some cases, but those are very few and far between.
I don't think he is getting help from the Innocence Project. They do great work in my opinion. But they are not going to flush their reputation down the drain by helping this piece of ... evil

I know this is true, but I think it's a big mistake to allow DP inmates to linger for decades. I think it's a result of some innocent persons having been put to death that caused this.

But honestly, if any state is going to have the death penalty, I think it should be relatively swift. And, I agree that it's too serious a decision to be left to the family of the victim.

I understand why we want to be 100% positive a criminal is guilty before carrying out the DP, but when we have actual video evidence, what more can anyone ask?

In cases like this, I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been better if CH had just resisted arrest--or attacked an officer--and they just had to shoot him.

They don't have a legal "right" to services, but those services are still available to most.

I get it that pro bono legal groups think it's their calling to try and help DP inmates that might have been unfairly convicted, but these appeals should be limited (JMOO) time wise, to within a year or two of the conviction.

A lot of them are trying to use DNA, which wasn't available decades ago, but do it quickly. The cops had DNA evidence on CH's slides within hours of the crime. It can be hurried along and it should be.

their numerous appeals are covered.

On DP and costs and appeals there is information here: Costs
I checked to see if the idea I had from somewhere that DP is actually more expensive than LWOP has basis in fact. It does. One reason appears to be appeals, to which every prisoner on death row has a right. Even though in this case you'd hope that there are no grounds for appeal because it's clear he did it. But. Legally none of us can say that. Possibly I'm not even allowed to write that it's clear here. Maybe that's against the Forum Rules. But the discussion on DP in this case seems to me to imply that clarity. Not just the attacking and stuffing into vehicle, but everything that was done to Eliza.

MOO JMO

their numerous appeals are covered.

This is simply not true in every case.

Edit to make more clear: this is a state-by-state situation. The extent to which a right for counsel on appeal will vary from state to state in terms of how long they have the right - i.e., through your "numerous appeals," which is not common, or only for the initial filing of an appeal - as well as the extent to which the attorney has to engage in and pursue the representation - i.e., only required to file a brief vs. argue in court, etc.

Last edited:
I don't think he is getting help from the Innocence Project. They do great work in my opinion. But they are not going to flush their reputation down the drain by helping this piece of ... evil

Yes, you're absolutely correct. I've worked on pro bono cases through the Innocence Project. They indeed do great work (if I do say so myself, haha). First he'd have to be convicted, of course. But I regularly have evaluated cases for them (they have a backlog of literally thousands of people who request a review), and there's no way they would ever take up his case.

I am neither for or against the death penalty, however, it seems to be a useful tool for LEO in some cases to use to gain a plea deal and confession. Or reserved for the most depraved indifference to human life.

I wonder why the COD hadn’t been released yet…
Seems manner of death is homicide, given CA-H is charged with murder, but I have not seen that officially stated yet either.

I recall that the MOD & COD (homicide / strangulation) for Alexis Sharkey took 7 weeks to be released.

”Seven weeks is not long," retired Chief of the Texas Rangers Tony Leal said. “The Medical Examiner’s Office may have known it that night, they may have thought it that night, but they have things they need to rule out before they make that announcement," Leal said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back