Found Deceased TN - Evelyn Boswell, 15 months, Sullivan County, 26 DEC 2019 *MOM ARRESTED* #9

Seattle1 said:
snipped by me....
MB's next hearing is Dec 13. Her attorney wants to take up a change of venue then. I think we will probably learn whether or not the State will seek the death penalty.

No - not on the 13th - per court site:

Hearing For Role Hearing Type Hearing Date/Time Judge Hearing Result
Megan Boswell Defendant Motion/Petition 12/03/2020 1:30 PM James F Goodwin

link: Sullivan County - Criminal Case Detail

Did the news about possible death penalty surprise anyone? I thought there had been some type of accident. A smack to the head in anger, a push or shove or something along those lines. The DA considering DP has me thinking it was a premeditated act.
I thought many times that she thought about her life without Evelyn. She could have boyfriends, being out, not being responsible for anything and that maybe she suffocated her.
I have started wondering if it ended up being more violent than that and if Evelyn suffered a lot of injuries and then eventually passed from them or if she then suffocated her. I keep going back to the things that were taken at that trailer property during a search.

Another beautiful life taken so soon by the person who was supposed to be her protector. It's become all to common and I just don't understand it at all. I cannot wait until there is finally justice for Evelyn!!! The time has passed slowly but it's coming.

I hope you are all well and staying safe during this Covid and now flu season!

Happy Birthday, precious Angel!

g35031.gif

Evelyn’s Army hosts celebration of life for Evelyn Boswell | WKRN News 2

From the article:
In honor of the toddler who only got to experience life for 15 months, the group Evelyn’s Army hosted a celebration of life to remember little Evelyn... “It touched me especially because I have a child around the same age…a daughter as well,” Kandis Cook [the cofounder of Evelyn’s Army] said... “We wanted to do something to honor her memory and give her a legacy of something positive.”

Two years old, how time has flown. It's heartbreaking, so heartbreaking that another little life was lost, was it necessary, wouldnt or couldn't a suitable family member have taken Evelyn in and loved her?

Don't listen too closely to me, I'm on a downer with this horrid year we've had with this Covid19.
My youngest granddaughter will be 1 year old on December 5th. Admittedly we did have fron December to March to hold her and hug her but my arms ache almost as much as my heart does with wanting to hold and hug her again.
I'm COPD which doesn't help, classed as severely at risk so have to take great care and not mix. Stick to the rules, which I do but I need to touch and hug my family so much. There again, I'm not alone, there are many people the whole world over in the same situation.

Stay safe everyone.

Unfortunately, there's been nothing released on baby Evelyn's cause of death.

Mom MB was arraigned on Friday, Aug 28, in a 5-minute hearing where first-degree murder was added. Her attorney waived reading of the indictment.

MB's next hearing is Dec 13. Her attorney wants to take up a change of venue then. I think we will probably learn whether or not the State will seek the death penalty.

Mother of 15-month-old Evelyn Boswell to be arraigned in court | wbir.com

Thanks for update @Niner.

The article quoting Dec 13 court date goes back to August 28 so glad you confirmed the changed date of Dec 3. :)

As it stands now, Megan has plead not guilty. Is Megan admitting to some level of guilt to one or several charges when she expresses remorse?

“I’m sure she’s scared and she’s remorseful over her daughter,” Sproles said. “She’s done an admirable job of holding it together and being able to talk about the case rather than break down.”

What’s next for Megan Boswell in court? | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Video news report at link below:

What’s next for Megan Boswell in court? | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Updated: Nov 19, 2020 / 06:30 PM EST

KINGSPORT, Tenn. (WJHL)- On December 3, Megan Boswell, the mother of a deceased Sullivan County toddler who was the center of a statewide AMBER Alert, is scheduled to appear in court.

“With her being charged with what she currently is, her reactions have been appropriate,” said Boswell’s attorney, Brad Sproles. “That’s a huge charge, charges that she’s facing so I knew she understands the gravity of it.”

[..]

On that day, she will learn the punishment the state is seeking against her on 19 charges, including two counts of felony murder in the death of her daughter.

[..]

“She evaluates things, she thinks them through. She interacts with me to take a look at the legal issues in her case,” Sproles said. “I don’t see any signs of trauma or anything like that.”

All documents for the case, including the evidence, are sealed, even to Sproles. bbm

I was surprised to learn that not even MB's attorney Brad Sproles has seen the evidence that his client was indicted from after the case was sealed by the Judge.

Sproles believes the DA will seek to unseal information to share with him before the Dec 3 hearing.

By his own words, I don't see any indication whatsoever that the defense believes MB is incompetent.

However, her attorney says that he believes the court will have him jump through some hoops for a change of venue.

Given that the case information remains sealed as of this date, I don't know that there is sufficient reason to move the trial.

I'd still like to learn baby EB's cause of death and more about the tip investigators received that led them to EB's body after so many months missing.

MOO

Looks like the Dec 3 appearance is still happening. What I'm not sure about is whether there will be video coverage. Does anyone know?

I don’t know for a fact, but I would guess no, since there’s a request to change venue due to media coverage.
Per Herald Courier:

The motion for a change of venue, written by Boswell’s attorney, C. Brad Sproles, states, “It is the assertion of the Defendant that the media coverage of this case has created undue excitement against her in the county and created prejudicial impression of the Defendant in the prospective jury pool.”

It also states that the widespread coverage in newspapers, TV, radio and social media has made it impossible for her to obtain a fair hearing.

The motion will be heard during her next court date, Dec. 3 at 1:30 p.m., when Staubus is also expected to announce the sentence he will seek.

Megan Boswell pleads not guilty; DAG considering enhanced sentence

Hi @Niner - I can't find the 12/3/2020 court date at the link above. The last hearing date I get at this link is 3/2/20 when the case was bound over to GJ.

I was looking for accurate court details to see if they are using court WebEx and the access number/codes for 12/3/20 if applicable. Thank you.

As the courtrooms are limiting the gallery to only 10 persons or less, most courts are allowing public audio access to criminal hearing and posting the access codes with the docket. Unlike expanded media courtroom coverage, the audio allowed during COVID19 can't be recorded and you have to catch the hearing live if you want to listen.

https://www.tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2nd_judicial_district_-revised.pdf

Looks like the Dec 3 appearance is still happening. What I'm not sure about is whether there will be video coverage. Does anyone know?

I do not believe that video coverage will be available because of the uptick of COVID19 cases and the court limiting the number of persons allowed in the courtroom to only 10. However, most criminal courts are using Court WebEx or similar which allows the public to access audio of the hearing but I've not been able to locate the docket for this hearing.

@Seattle1 - does this one work?

Sullivan County - Criminal Case Detail

State of Tennessee vs Megan Boswell
82CC1-2020-CR-72869
Megan Boswell, Defendant
Filing Date: Mar 09 2020 Balance Due: $50.00 Make a Payment
Case Judge: James F Goodwin Last Pay Date:
Status Date: Mar 09 2020
Case References: Reference Number: S72869

@Seattle1 - does this one work?

Sullivan County - Criminal Case Detail

State of Tennessee vs Megan Boswell