TN - Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains wildfire, 14 confirmed dead, 23 Nov 2016 *Arrests/Charges Dropped**

So were these two teens purposely setting a house on fire, with the intent to murder, or were the boys enjoying building a little campfire in the woods and it went horribly wrong? It just seems that by NOW, LE should know their intent although they seem not to know it.

[video=cnn;justice/2016/12/08/gatlinburg-wildfire-charges-newday-pkg.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/14/us/tennessee-wildfire-charges/index.html[/video]

I don't care what the intent was. No one who drives drunk INTENDS to hurt anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeanna - I read that the two morons were lighting matches and dropping them, apparently just for kicks. A hiker noticed a trail of smoke following the two teens and luckily snapped their photo, which he turned into LE.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/one-...ire-one-victim-remains-unidentified/371342175

Beloved grandmother and friend Pamela Johnson is the only person still missing following the fires that tore through Sevier County on Nov. 28...

Earhart said 13 of the 14 fire victims have been positively identified...

On Thursday, Bass explained the difficulty that comes with identifying bones that were badly burned in a fire. "There's three burn stages. The first is black, then they would turn a gray color and then back to a grayish white and that is the worst"...

DNA can possibly be collected and tested from bones that are black, the least severe burn.

It's my understanding that it had been windy most of the day, and the wind was forecast to be higher later in the evening, due to a storm system that was supposed to come through late at night. One woman that could've easily died there with her husband posted to her Facebook that there were 74 mph winds and they were waiting for the rain. They weren't told to leave. To me, officials dropped the ball. 74 mphs winds with a fire burning close by and they still didn't send out any notice to evacuate. That same woman posted an hour later that they were stuck and trying to get off the mountain. She may not have been in that position had they been told to leave.

It's entirely possible that I just don't really get it because I'm totally unfamiliar with the terrain. But to me, it looks like officials could've and should've done more to make sure people were aware of what was going on. The same guy that posted the widely seen escape video also posted a clip of when they finally heard an evacuation notice while they were stuck in traffic. It was long after that notice should've gone out, and had he stayed and waited on that, he could've been a casualty, too.

I feel like I need to add that in the end, we are all responsible for our own well being. I would've left with those high winds, no evacuation notice needed, but that doesn't mean officials get a pass for not sending out mandatory evacuation notices much earlier. They didn't have to know for sure it was coming their way, high winds + wild fire close by = disaster waiting to happen. We get tornado warnings around here all the time. How many tornadoes have I actually been in? None, thankfully. But I am alerted every single time that I might be in danger, and can at least try to get in a safer place. I know they are different situations, but I believe the same should've been done for them, given the circustances. JMO

The fire that night, that all of these others started from in the Gatlinburg area, was originally from the Chimney Top fire, which was around 7-8 miles from Gatlinburg, on the top of Chimney Top mountain. It started on 11/23. Five days before the winds hit. There was another Chimney Tops fire the last week of October. It burned several hundred acres. No one was evacuated. Predicting how far, and where, a hurricane force wind, would pick up, and drop burning ash, is nearly impossible. Everyone in that area knew that the fires were burning that night. I knew fires were burning around here, and down in the Smokies, and had warned family about going to the Gatlinburg area, a week before this happened. Two family members of mine, have a child (in two different schools), who were playing on ball teams, and both teams had to play down there the weekend prior to this fire. They went on down, and spent the night, b/c surely the games would be cancelled if it wasn't safe. Nope. There was smoke hanging in the air, and fires burning alongside the road, while they were there. I also have a friend who lives a little ways from Gatlinburg and they said they'd not been able to open their windows for 2-3 weeks, (before the big fire) nor do much outside, at all, b/c of the heavy smoke, from all of the fires, in the area. Sometimes, bad stuff just happens, and humans cannot stop it from happening. They called it a perfect storm. I think that's what it was. The fires had been there for weeks and they've just now started getting them under control. A fella I know went to volunteer at Gatlinburg this week, just saw a photo he sent back, of rubble, still smoking. Honestly, b/c I had a friend who lived down there, and another who works for the forestry dept., and fights wildfires, is the only reason I knew there were so many fires. The media largely ignored this region. We've had a pretty severe drought in some parts and have been fighting fires for weeks.

View from Chimney Top. Where the fires originated and was largely uninhabited.
attachment.php

Pictures of Chimney Top on this site.
https://www.romanticasheville.com/chimney_tops.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/chimney-tops.htm

The South is on Fire and National Media Couldn't Care Less
http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/29/south-fire-national-media-couldnt-care-less/

Attachments

• chimtops.jpg
    chimtops.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 134
OMG :(

Michael Reed, the man who lost his wife and two young daughters in the deadly wildfires that ravaged Sevier County in late November, wrote an open letter to the two juveniles accused of aggravated arson. The letter was posted on Facebook and has been shared more than 10,000 times.

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Mi...e-arson-suspects-I-forgive-you-407147075.html

The fact that Mr. Reed can forgive those two teenagers says so much about him. I don't think I could do that. Not yet, anyway. Like most of us on here, I read about tragedies every single day, and while they all sadden me, their story runs through my mind every single day. That whole scenerio is just horrifying. Here, if there's a fire getting close to me, I can see it because everything's flat. So many there just didn't know how close the fires were to them, and for some, it was too late. I'm not a religious person, but I'm glad that he is, as it seems to be the main thing helping him through such an unimaginable tragedy.

As an aside, I've always wanted to visit that area. Mainly to go to Dollywood because I've been a huge fan of hers since I was little. My husband and I have often discussed going and having our actual wedding there (we are "common law married" here in Texas), because his family lives in Georgia, so it wouldn't be too far for them to travel. I think we will do just that, hopefully some time next year. We aren't people of means, and I know it'd be just a drop in the bucket for the local economy, but I'd like to show my support for them in whatever way I can.

The fire that night, that all of these others started from in the Gatlinburg area, was originally from the Chimney Top fire, which was around 7-8 miles from Gatlinburg, on the top of Chimney Top mountain. It started on 11/23. Five days before the winds hit. There was another Chimney Tops fire the last week of October. It burned several hundred acres. No one was evacuated. Predicting how far, and where, a hurricane force wind, would pick up, and drop burning ash, is nearly impossible. Everyone in that area knew that the fires were burning that night. I knew fires were burning around here, and down in the Smokies, and had warned family about going to the Gatlinburg area, a week before this happened. Two family members of mine, have a child (in two different schools), who were playing on ball teams, and both teams had to play down there the weekend prior to this fire. They went on down, and spent the night, b/c surely the games would be cancelled if it wasn't safe. Nope. There was smoke hanging in the air, and fires burning alongside the road, while they were there. I also have a friend who lives a little ways from Gatlinburg and they said they'd not been able to open their windows for 2-3 weeks, (before the big fire) nor do much outside, at all, b/c of the heavy smoke, from all of the fires, in the area. Sometimes, bad stuff just happens, and humans cannot stop it from happening. They called it a perfect storm. I think that's what it was. The fires had been there for weeks and they've just now started getting them under control. A fella I know went to volunteer at Gatlinburg this week, just saw a photo he sent back, of rubble, still smoking. Honestly, b/c I had a friend who lived down there, and another who works for the forestry dept., and fights wildfires, is the only reason I knew there were so many fires. The media largely ignored this region. We've had a pretty severe drought in some parts and have been fighting fires for weeks.

View from Chimney Top. Where the fires originated and was largely uninhabited.
attachment.php

Pictures of Chimney Top on this site.
https://www.romanticasheville.com/chimney_tops.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/chimney-tops.htm

The South is on Fire and National Media Couldn't Care Less
http://thefederalist.com/2016/11/29/south-fire-national-media-couldnt-care-less/

Wow, such a beautiful area! It certainly seems to have been a perfect storm. I still feel like more could've been done to alert the people in harms way, but all that can be done now is ensure more is done if it ever happens again. Would weather sirens not work there? I'm completely unfamiliar with mountainous regions. I've only ever been on one once, and it wasn't all that far up. I know here, ours are at schools and fire stations, so those places wouldn't be of much use to the people way up there. They aren't of any use to people that live out in the country here, either. But maybe they could put some sirens in various areas there? Cell phone alerts are great, but the one and only time I was on a mountain, I had awful reception. That's why I was thinking maybe weather sirens could help.

I agree with that last article. I only knew about it from Facebook and Reddit.

Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to quote 2 posts in one yet.

Wow, such a beautiful area! It certainly seems to have been a perfect storm. I still feel like more could've been done to alert the people in harms way, but all that can be done now is ensure more is done if it ever happens again. Would weather sirens not work there? I'm completely unfamiliar with mountainous regions. I've only ever been on one once, and it wasn't all that far up. I know here, ours are at schools and fire stations, so those places wouldn't be of much use to the people way up there. They aren't of any use to people that live out in the country here, either. But maybe they could put some sirens in various areas there? Cell phone alerts are great, but the one and only time I was on a mountain, I had awful reception. That's why I was thinking maybe weather sirens could help.

Unfortunately, hindsight is always 20/20. I did read in one article, I can't lay my hands on it, that LE went up into the areas and started knocking door to door, to get people up, and out. Had they not, more people could have lost their lives. This article, below, may help understand the difficulties in getting people out of the area, and in using the different means available to reach them, that night.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/wild...-forge-never-went-to-mobile-devices/362281309

Dolly Parton Distributes First Tennessee Wildfire Relief Funds. Victims of the Tennessee wildfires have received their first payments from the $9.3 million relief fund set up by Dolly Parton.

The country legend set up the Dollywood Foundation My People Fund in the wake of Sevier County, Tennessee, the area in which she grew up, being devastated last month by fires which also threatened her Dollywood theme park.

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/201...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Elise, we call those hills. :)

Its a blessing the fires are gone, and the death count has been low. I shudder to think this could have been far worse. My thoughts are with each person who has lost so much. I lost everything in a tornado in 1987, and it just seemed surreal for several days. I just wanted to wake up from that horrible dream and go home. Luckily, we were 60 miles away when it hit.

Insurance claims top $842 million in deadly Tenn. wildfires.

State officials say insurance claims have topped $842 million in the deadly eastern Tennessee wildfires that burned thousands of buildings.

The Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance says as of Jan. 6, the Gatlinburg-area wildfires resulted in more than 3,900 claims and more than $842 million in residential and commercial property losses.

The numbers don't include damages to uninsured structures.

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/In...llion-in-deadly-Tenn-wildfires-411169305.html

[h=1]New texts, documents, video tell story of initial Sevier Co. wildfire response[/h]
Recently released texts, documents and dashcam video are shedding new light on the immediate response to the Sevier County wildfires.

The city of Sevierville released the public records Monday, in response to a 10News request. WBIR has several other such requests pending with other agencies.

Dashcam Footage
In hours of dashcam video, Sevierville police officers speed towards Gatlinburg, passing hundreds of fleeing families in miles-long traffic jams. At one point, a pickup truck passes by carrying several people in the bed.

Once officers reach town, around 10 p.m., they drive around warning residents and business owners to evacuate.
“You need to get out of here, go!” yells one officer at a person parked on Highway 321. The hillside behind the structure is glowing with fire just out of frame.
More at link: http://www.wbir.com/news/local/new-...initial-sevier-co-wildfire-response/454202451

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back