Identified! TN - Jellico, WhtFem UP1579, 17-30, pregnant, off I-75, burn scars, Jan'85 - Tina Farmer

little lulu

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1579

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/910uftn.html
Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: January 1, 1985
Location of Discovery: Campbell County, Tennessee
Estimated Date of Death: 72 hours prior to discovery
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Homicide
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate
Estimated Age: 17-30 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'2" to 5'4"
Weight: 110-115 lbs.
Hair Color: Red, short and curly.
Eye Color: Green or hazel
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Freckles. Burn scars and marks on both arms. Scars on both knees. Faint 2-inch long scar on her forehead. About five months pregnant.
Dentals: Available. Dentals plate for 2 missing upper front teeth. She had all her wisdom teeth. No fillings.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Pending.

More info about her on the Doe Network.

There is another UID from the same county listed on another thread.

I think she must be a part of the 'Red Head Murders'

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=20UPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_YUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5924,4728177

Five Jane Does in Campbell County
It's been almost a decade without any breaks in the case of Campbell County's Jane Doe No. 2.

Where to start?

How about a name.

"You have to have an identity to have a starting point," Barton said. "Unless you have somebody with a conscience walk in there."

After she was found, Barton and his coworkers drafted fliers and sent them to other law enforcement agencies, organized a facial reconstruction, voluntarily entered her information into NCIC and listed the body on nonprofit Web sites that seek to match those known to be missing with unidentified bodies.

Family members of missing black women called. Web sleuths offered possible matches. Officers investigated the potential identities.

None matched.

No. 2's file is not the only one Barton keeps.

Since the mid-1980s, at least five unidentified females have been found in the county of about 40,000 residents. Many were found along I-75 between Jellico and Caryville, an isolated stretch of road.

One, a young redhead, was found in the mid-1980s along a straightaway. The bones of a girl also were unearthed in 1985.

Barton keeps records on another woman once known as "Jane Doe No. 1." More than 10 years ago she was found strangled, stabbed and dumped on an I-75 exit ramp

A nonprofit group, the Doe Network, put Campbell authorities in touch with their counterparts in El Paso, Texas. In March the woman was identified as Ada Elena Torres Smith.

Finding her identity broke the Smith case open again, said Capt. Don Farmer with the Campbell County Sheriff's Office.

Farmer and Barton think the murders of Smith and Jane Doe No. 2 may be connected. They were found a little more than a mile apart near Stinking Creek Road in consecutive years.

'Lady of the Lake'
About two miles downstream from Clark Center Park on Melton Hill Lake, two fishermen found a woman's body floating beneath an undercut bank on March 6, 2000.

Leopper, of the Oak Ridge Police Department, calls the woman estimated to be in her 20s the "Lady of the Lake."

She drowned.

Leopper believes it was murder.

He has a theory about how it happened.

He thinks the woman, who stood about 5 feet, 9 inches, may have frequented truck stops. Dental records showed she may have worn braces and frequented a dentist.

Leopper believes she "was picked up or abducted by a local individual."

She may have then been drowned in Melton Hill Lake. Police believe her body was underwater for a few weeks before the fishermen found her.

But there is no way to know for sure until someone comes forward with evidence or officers make a positive ID.

Her dental records and fingerprints may help give her a name, Leopper said. The details are in the NCIC database, but that does not ensure she will be matched with a missing adult. It takes time and narrow search criteria.

"Until you hit that right keystroke, you'll never know who that person is," Leopper said.

Mile marker 44
Detective Capt. John Huffine of the Greene County Sheriff's Department is waiting for an NCIC entry to produce a fruitful lead on an unidentified body dumped more than 20 years ago along Interstate 81. She was left at mile marker 44.

TBI assisted with the 1985 case. The girl, estimated to be in her teens, was four to six weeks pregnant. Her hair was tinted red.

She died of head trauma.

Her naked body was found about the same time as the red-haired Campbell County Jane Doe. Some thought their cases might be connected, but the ties were never proven. Neither has been identified.

Huffine was a senior in high school when authorities began the investigation, but he's worked during his tenure to spread the word about the case.

The girl's dental record is in NCIC, her information is listed on nonprofit Web sites, and Huffine presented the case to the Regional Organized Crime Information Center, which connects participating local agencies.

"It's not as frustrating as if it had been a local homicide," Huffine said. "It's a homicide that happened somewhere else."

She may have been a runaway or someone estranged from her family, he said.

"Nobody's reported her," he said. "Otherwise, she would have been identified."

Under the tramway
She may have walked out beneath Gatlinburg's Aerial Tramway, taken a seat beneath a tree and passed out. About a month later her decomposing body was found by someone taking a shortcut to a Cove Mountain chalet.

"It appears that she sat down next to a tree and just expired," said Detective Tim Williams of the Gatlinburg Police Department.

Since Dec. 22, 1974, authorities have been chasing leads on the identity of the woman who stood 5 feet, 7 inches and weighed about 140 pounds.

There was no evidence of trauma, he said. Her sweater and coat were folded neatly next to her.

She wore dark blue, Mayer-Land-Marquis pants (size extra-large) and a white, short-sleeved shirt with a yellow flower print.

Officers never found a purse or a wallet that could have held a driver's license or a library card with her name.

Though no fingerprints could be taken from her badly decomposed body, the department worked hard on the case at the time, keeping good records, Williams said.

"When this was new, there was a lot of effort put into it," he said.

The department entered the details into NCIC and chased numerous leads.

"We go for years with nothing, and then we'll get leads all at one time," he said.

He's had about four tips in the 10 years he's been a detective.

"Prior to that, there were dozens of eliminations," he said.

'Shotgun female'
Around 2:30 a.m. June 1, 1987, a 12-gauge shotgun slug blew through the front door of a North Knox County home, ripping the face off a woman raising a ruckus on the porch.

Knox County Sheriff's Office authorities speculated at the time that the unidentified woman and two male accomplices were attempting to trick and rob the resident on Jim Sterchi Road by faking a fight outside her front door.

The woman kicked the door, awakening the resident and a visitor. The resident called police and fired one shot from a shotgun when the woman attempted to open a screen door.

The two men were caught. But they were unable to identify the woman. They said they had picked her up at a Greene County rest stop just before the shooting.

Jantz, of the UT Forensic Anthropology Center, said she and her colleagues dubbed the dead woman "Shotgun Female."

The case is archived in Sheriff's Office records, and spokeswoman Martha Dooley said the department follows up on all leads on the woman's identity.

A UT forensic anthropology student generated a computer reconstruction of the woman in the early 1990s.

Ansley Haman may be reached at 865-342-6341. K
http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/art...5546064,00.html

more at link:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=21443

Namus case report says one or more teeth are there so thats not full dentals.

Yes, the Namus file of the deceased says one or more teeth are there in both the lower and the upper jaw
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1579

but that's imo exactly what makes her match with Patricia Schmidt unlikely. Jane Doe is described to have had a dental plate replacing two missing teeth and no fillings in the remaining teeth. If Patricia Schmidt had full dentures they can't be a match.

Patricia Schmidt's Namus file simply says, "Dentures".
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/974/74

Do they ever get dates wrong??
Look at this missing girl...

Both, red hair and 5 mos. pregnant.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2297dfny.html

If we consider the possibility that they got the dates wrong, Rose Gayhart is a very good possible.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gayhart_rose.html

gayhart_rose5.jpg

Rose's Date LKA (March 14, 1985) is three months after the date of Discovery (January 1, 1985). The January 1st Date of Discovery might be an estimate. If someone doesn't know the exact date, January 1 is often the default guess.

Take a look at the common particulars:

* Both RMG and the Jane Doe were pregnant. (The Jane Doe's pregnancy is noted in DoeNet, but not in NamUs)
* Both RMG and the Jane Doe were missing two teeth (Charley Project does not specify which of Rose's teeth are missing).
* RMG's height (5'2") matches the Jane Doe's height, as indicated in NamUs (5'2")
* RMG's age (23) is within the Jane Doe's age estimate (18-30).
* Both RMG and the Jane Doe had short curly hair (although I would not describe it as red, it might have a reddish tint).
* Both RMG and the Jane Doe had multiple scars (though the locations don't match).

The Charley Project page indicates that New York authorities are investigating. I'm not sure why, but if she has some New York connection, that might explain why she would end up in Tennessee from Southwest Florida.

DoeNetwork Casefile http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/910uftn.html
Namus UP Casefile https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1579

The Charley Project page indicates that New York authorities are investigating. I'm not sure why, but if she has some New York connection, that might explain why she would end up in Tennessee from Southwest Florida.

New York authorities are probably investigating since that is where she lived up until the year before her disappearance. I assume that is where her three siblings lived. They're probably the ones who reported her missing. I doubt her boyfriend or his family reported her since they'd asked her to leave.
BTW- Dansville is in west/central NY, lot closer to Buffalo and Toronto than NYC.

Were Rose trying to get back to NY, I-75 could technically get her there but wouldn't be the best choice. It's a lot longer and full of hills for a large part. I-95 would be shorter but traffic/congestion around Washington, DC is terrible (you would exit I-95 there to get to her hometown).

...but if she were hitching, I guess she didn't get to plan the route.

One reason that I could see Rose choosing to take that route back to NY would be possible family. There are many Gayheart's in eastern KY. If that is where she was heading, I-75 would have been the way to go. She might have wanted to stay with a distant relative there, or at least stop to see them on her way back to NY.

With NY (Dansville) being her "hometown" and FL (Ft Myers) being her "current town," those are the only places we know of related to her. There may have been other places she'd have a reason/desire to go, but we just don't know.

Also, the guy she got a ride from work with wasn't necessarily "unidentified" to anyone but the person that reported it. Rose may have known him, if that means anything or not.

* I don't really suspect that JD is Gayheart due to the dates. I was just trying to figure out how/why she would wind up there if it were her.

Rose's Date LKA (March 14, 1985) is three months after the date of Discovery (January 1, 1985). The January 1st Date of Discovery might be an estimate. If someone doesn't know the exact date, January 1 is often the default guess.

I understand that for an MP... Someone hasn't been seen for a while and you have to guess a date (which could be before or after they "went missing").

But would that work on a UID? If someone finds a body or bones or the like, I thought that would be an easier date to pinpoint. It would be hard to focus on an actual date of death in many occasions, but not the discovery.

I would think the 1/1 date would be correct for this body. She was pretty "fresh" and found right along the interstate.

I'm pretty sure that 1st January is the right date as well - Doenetwork list one of their sources as a news article that was published 3rd January 1985. Apparently the UID was discovered by tourists that had stopped to take photos.

Here she is on NCMEC, with a more detailed description and a reconstruction: http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMU/1184609/1#poster

The combination of scars, missing two front teeth, and pregnancy makes me think of a partner-abuse situation. I have a point about the teeth as well - if she was reported missing by friends, and her family hadn't seen her in a while or something, it's entirely possible that someone reporting it might not have even known that this woman had a dental plate. At 17-30 (or especially 17-25) she is VERY young to be missing two teeth and probably wouldn't have told people about it.

Also, NCMEC estimate (and the original articles published in 1985) that she was 10-12 weeks pregnant, and therefore unlikely to be showing much - it's also possible then that whoever reporter her missing (if anyone did) wouldn't have even known that she was pregnant...

She has been identified as Tina Marie McKenney Farmer from Indiana

Homicide59.jpg 910UFTN_LARGE.jpg
TBI identifies woman whose body was found 30 years ago in Campbell County

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is asking for information concerning a 30 year old homicide in Campbell County.

On January 1, 1985, TBI Special Agents were asked to to work with the Campbell County Sheriff’s Office in investigating the homicide of a female whose body was found along Interstate 75.

Autopsy results revealed the victim had likely died several days prior to her body being discovered, but investigators were unable to determine the identity of the victim and she was listed as a Jane Doe.

In August, however, agents were made aware of a blog focusing on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer, who was reportedly missing from Indiana.

TBI: 1985 Campbell Co murder victim identified thanks to blog

State authorities made a break in an over three-decade-old homicide case thanks to a blog that writes about missing persons cases. Now the TBI is asking for the public's help to identify the killer.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is seeking any information the public may have on a 1985 Campbell County homicide after recently identifying the victim as Tina Farmer of Indiana.

Agents were made aware of a blog that focused on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer who was reportedly missing from Indiana.

Victim of decades-old homicide case identified

ina Marie McKenney Farmer was 22 years old when she was killed and left on the side of Interstate 75 in Campbell County in 1985, according to a TBI press release. TBI and the Campbell County Sheriff's Office investigated the case but were unable to identify her remains, and she was listed as Jane Doe for three decades. An autopsy led agents to believe that Farmer had died several days before her body was discovered, the release states.

Tina Marie (Mckenney) Farmer- Missing Since the 1980’s

Tina Marie (Mckenney) Farmer went missing around 1984-1989 or so from Marion County, Indiana around the age of 20. She had been married to Richard Farmer, who is now deceased. If she were alive today, she would be about 53 years old.

DOB: March 8, 1964

Hair: Red
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 5’4″
Weight: 120 lbs
Other features: Missing front tooth. May wear a retainer.
Circumstances: Apparently when Tina married Richard in 1984, she became estranged from the rest of her family. There was a rumor that a truck driver in IN took Tina to KY. Tina’s sister last heard from her in 1984.

Last edited:
She has been identified as Tina Marie McKenney Farmer from Indiana

View attachment 145877 View attachment 145878
TBI identifies woman whose body was found 30 years ago in Campbell County

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is asking for information concerning a 30 year old homicide in Campbell County.

On January 1, 1985, TBI Special Agents were asked to to work with the Campbell County Sheriff’s Office in investigating the homicide of a female whose body was found along Interstate 75.

Autopsy results revealed the victim had likely died several days prior to her body being discovered, but investigators were unable to determine the identity of the victim and she was listed as a Jane Doe.

In August, however, agents were made aware of a blog focusing on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer, who was reportedly missing from Indiana.

TBI: 1985 Campbell Co murder victim identified thanks to blog

State authorities made a break in an over three-decade-old homicide case thanks to a blog that writes about missing persons cases. Now the TBI is asking for the public's help to identify the killer.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is seeking any information the public may have on a 1985 Campbell County homicide after recently identifying the victim as Tina Farmer of Indiana.

Agents were made aware of a blog that focused on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer who was reportedly missing from Indiana.

Victim of decades-old homicide case identified

ina Marie McKenney Farmer was 22 years old when she was killed and left on the side of Interstate 75 in Campbell County in 1985, according to a TBI press release. TBI and the Campbell County Sheriff's Office investigated the case but were unable to identify her remains, and she was listed as Jane Doe for three decades. An autopsy led agents to believe that Farmer had died several days before her body was discovered, the release states.

Tina Marie (Mckenney) Farmer- Missing Since the 1980’s

Tina Marie (Mckenney) Farmer went missing around 1984-1989 or so from Marion County, Indiana around the age of 20. She had been married to Richard Farmer, who is now deceased. If she were alive today, she would be about 53 years old.

DOB: March 8, 1964

Hair: Red
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 5’4″
Weight: 120 lbs
Other features: Missing front tooth. May wear a retainer.
Circumstances: Apparently when Tina married Richard in 1984, she became estranged from the rest of her family. There was a rumor that a truck driver in IN took Tina to KY. Tina’s sister last heard from her in 1984.
I was looking to post this but you’re much faster than I am :cool: Interesting blog the detectives found her in. Good for them!

so I'm guessing it was a trucker or DH.

Wonder if DH is the Red Head murders SK ? Based upon the missing person blog she became estranged when she married DH whether she was still with DH at the time of her death ???? There is a topix post asking about both their whereabouts.

'Redhead Murder' victim in Campbell County identified after 33 years

The case was among a series of at least 11 unsolved homicides involving young women with red or reddish hair and slight builds, whose bodies were found close to major highways in Tennessee and several other states between 1978 and 1992.

In May, a group of students in a sociology class at Elizabethon High School in Carter County, Tenn. developed a detailed character profile of a single suspect they believe may have been responsible for at least six of the murders, including Farmer's death.

The students deemed their suspect, "The Bible Belt Strangler."

Authorities have not said whether Farmer's homicide may have any connection to other cases.

Last edited:
Farmer's identity was confirmed by fingerprints:

"Last month, agents were made aware of a blog that focused on missing persons cases. One of the individuals listed on the website was Tina Marie McKenney Farmer, 22, who was reportedly missing from Indiana. Ms. Farmer matched the description of the unidentified female found in Campbell County. Farmer’s fingerprints were compared against the postmortem prints of the victim, resulting in a match."

Blog - looks like an amateur sleuth might have cracked it.

'Redhead Murder' victim in Campbell County identified after 33 years
Her picture from this link.
636718439976644911-Tina-Farmer.JPG

“The body was the third redhead found strangled and dumped near an interstate in a two-year span. Over the next four months, three more redheaded victims would be found dumped near interstates in Tennessee and Kentucky.

“I think it's a very strong possiblity that these cases are connected," said Todd Matthews, case management director for the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.”

Redhead Murders investigation 'hot' after Campbell Co. Jane Doe identified

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back