Deceased/Not Found TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *PLEA: No Contest* *appeal filed 2023* #3

Finally a decision on new trial!

Sept. 27, 2022

CHARLOTTE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Joseph Daniels, who was convicted last year of killing his 5-year-old son Joe Clyde, was denied by a Dickson County judge for a new trial.

In June of 2021, Daniels was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison. On Tuesday, his attorney will argue that the conviction should be thrown out, saying there was insufficient evidence to convict.

"The allegation that it’s not sufficient, but that confession was admitted in trial and he admitted to killing his son," Judge David Wolfe said. "Other statements made subsequent to that show culpability on his point. I think reasonable individuals can find sufficient evidence. That confession was corroborated with many key points. My opinion — they all corroborated with testimony. Judging the evidence as a whole the evidence was sufficient for a jury to find unanimous."

Wolfe presided over the trial last year. He said he stood by this ruling.

"He came in voluntarily and made his statement," Wolfe said. "He was advised of his constitutional rights. He never asked to leave, to stop the interview or ask for an attorney.
[.....]
With the denial, it's likely Daniels will then take his case to the Appellate Court.

Joseph Daniels is serving life for the murder of his five-year-old son Joe Clyde. It was a high-profile case, and it still remains open, since the little boy's body has never been found.

Daniels has now filed an official notice with the state appellate court asking for a new trial.

APR 4, 2023
[...]

“Just waiting on that phone call from a hunter, hiker somewhere finding something,” said investigator Capt. Trevor Daniel with the sheriff’s office.

Theories vary from everyone on the team of where the child was taken that night. However, searches of those areas have left these investigators carrying the heartache with no resolve.

“l think it’s just as likely that his body would have been placed into a dumpster as it’s just as likely his body would have been placed into water or into the woods somewhere. That’s what we can’t say for sure. We don’t know,” said Humphreys.

[...]

Jeff Bledsoe, who was the sheriff during the initial investigation, told News 2, “I continue to think of Joe Clyde Daniels. It is my desire and prayer that his father will allow him to have a proper burial by telling where his remains are located. It is the right thing to do for eternal forgiveness.”

Attorneys for Joseph Daniels are asking for a new trial. They told News 2 that the Tennessee District Public Defenders Conference is in the process of preparing the appeals brief to file with the Court of Criminal Appeals.

JUN 19, 2023
[...]

Defense attorney Jake Lockert says the confession was coerced, Daniels recanted and that there was no evidence to support his claim he killed Joe Clyde.

[...]

He says the organization -- which looks for those wrongfully convicted -- contacted his office to say they would like to discuss Daniels' case after his appeal.

They have not responded to our request for comment.

And, Lockert says the Innocence Project has not yet decided if it will take the case.

But, if they do, the focus will be on Daniels' words used against him.

Lockert says the Innocence Project often looks at cases involving DNA evidence.

But, in the Daniels case, the issue will be on whether there was a false confession. Remember, the case is not closed because Joe Clyde's body has never been found.

[...]

Happy Heavenly Birthday, Baby Joe!

рожденден Sticker - рожденден Stickers

AUG 3, 2023
[...]

"I know they didn't find them because he's not dead," said April Collins. She maintains her son's confession which he recanted was coerced.

And now Collins and other family members hold out hope that perhaps Joe Clyde was abducted and is somewhere still alive. And if not, they simply want to locate the child's body so he can be given a proper burial.

To that end, they recently started a media campaign asking the public for tips or new leads.

"Every place we can put it out. If you can put it out do it. I want him found. I want him home," said Collins.

They have started posting fliers in public places and on social media sharing the hotline for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation with Joe Clyde's photo.

[...]

NOV 27, 2023
[...]

The little boy's father is now serving life in prison, but the legal battle is far from over. Joe Clyde's body still has never been found.

Now, the defense filed the legal briefs arguing for a new trial, and Daniels is arguing he deserves a new trial.

[...]

"We had a lot of reversible errors in the trial, so he advised he wants to pursue an appeal," defense attorney Jake Lockert said in 2018.

Now, legal briefs have been filed arguing Daniels confession was coerced during hours of questioning, and should never have been allowed at trial.

[...]

The filing of this appeal does now open the door for the Innocence Project, which has contacted one of Daniels's attorneys.

The group looks for those wrongfully convicted and will wait for the appeal to be heard, likely early next year.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth
Back